COMODO System Cleaner 1.1.64939.31 BUG REPORTS

Please post all bug reports & BSOD’s here.

Be sure to include:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed;
  • How you produced the problem;
  • How you tried to resolve the problem;
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;
  • Any other Additional Information;

Category : GUI
Relevance : Minor
Issue : Cursor doesn’t change to “hand” when over “Power Clean” button.

• Your Operating System - XP SP2 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed - CIS - Latest version
  • How you produced the problem - N/A
  • How you tried to resolve the problem - N/A
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any) - N/A
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any - N/A
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled - N/A
  • Any other Additional Information - N/A

Since the x.x.xxxx.28 bug thread is closed now, I will post here, since I’m afraid to try the new version just released today (02/25/09). If this is not the right place to post this, please let me know.

I was running 1.0.6093.19 and downloaded and upgraded to 1.1.63928.28 just yesterday. (Update option in System Cleaner doesn’t seem to work.)

-Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); Windows XP SP3 32 bit

• Security Software Installed; Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
  • How you produced the problem; Ran the registry cleaner, and when asked to restart Windows, it would not restart.
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; Restarted in Safe Mode and restored the registry back up, but this did not solve the restart in normal mode problem. In Safe Mode I uninstalled the 1.1.63928.28 and reinstalled 1.0.6093.19, which did not solve anything. Restarted and chose “Last known good configuration” which solved the problem. (I’m now back to running 1.0.6093.19.
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); No screen shots available, but KIS 2009 System Report stated that System Cleaner had tried to access critical system files (which I’m assuming caused the crash).
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; N/A
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; Logs were lost during this fiasco.
  • Any other Additional Information; I see that a new version is available as of today, but I am AFRAID to try it! ;D

My semi-professional opinion :-\ is that KIS 2009 played a big part in this, but I don’t know for sure if it is incompatibility between System Cleaner and KIS or a bug in this version of System Cleaner.

• Your Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS BOClean, SypwareBlaster, Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware
  • How you produced the problem: used Safe Delete when running CDC
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: had to force computer to shut down and then restart
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): attachment showing system instability AFTER reboot
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: NA
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: would not allow .log files to be attached
  • Any other Additional Information:
    Using the Safe Delete function in CDC, the computer didn’t complete reboot. It hung at the blank screen with the cursor showing. I had to force a computer shutdown by holding the power button in for 5 seconds. When I rebooted, the screen that states that the system was not shut down properly came up, with the various options for booting, such as Start Windows Normally and Safe Mode. I chose Start Windows Normally and the computer booted up all the way. After logging on and completing the reboot, UAC asked for permission to open CSC Safe Delete. I granted permission and Safe Delete onened to the Finalize window. After checking several programs, I clicked the Finalize button and the disk cleaning finished.

I then opened a browser and went to the CSC forum to report the problem. Opera stopped working when I tried to attach the CSC log to my bug report and I opened TaskManager to try to get it closed. After several tries, and taking a screenshot of the browser and TaskManager not working, they finally closed. I then reopened the browser and continued with this bug report. I tried to attach the CSC and CDC logs, but .log files aren’t allowed, and they didn’t seem to show anything about what occurred. The screenshot of the browser and TaskManager, which shows only the browser not working, is attached. But right before I actually took the screenshot, both the browser and TaskManager were not working. I had this same problem in the last version of CSC when using the Safe Delete function in CDC. After cleaning and trying to reboot, the computer hung at the blank screen before getting to the logon screen. Safe Delete functioned properly, EXCEPT for preventing the computer from rebooting all the way after running CDC. This ‘EXCEPT’ is still a major issue.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Your Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS BOClean, SypwareBlaster, Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware
  • How you produced the problem: used Safe Delete when running CDC
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: booted into Safe Mode and did a system restore
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): NA
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: NA
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: NA
  • Any other Additional Information:
    I ran CDC on a second Vista Ultimate SP1 desktop computer that is exactly the same as the first and is also configured exactly the same. Using the Safe Delete function in CDC, unlike the first computer, this one did complete reboot. After logging on and completing the reboot, UAC asked for permission to open CDC Safe Delete. I granted permission and Safe Delete opened to the Finalize window. After checking several programs to make sure they were working correctly, I clicked the Finalize button and this computer immediately rebooted again. This time it rebooted to the Windows screen where it tells you that the computer did not shut down correctly and gives you the usual options for restart - Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, etc.

This is the exact same thing that happened on this computer with the previous version of CDC using the Safe Delete function. Instead of starting Windows normally again, I went into Safe Mode and did a system restore to the restore point CDC created before starting the CDC clean. The computer restored to its previous state prior to CDC running. I knew that if I let the computer boot up normally that the Finalize button would appear and when I clicked it again, the computer would immediately reboot again. That is because that is what happened last time I tried using Safe Delete in the previous version of CDC. It would have continued to loop until I went into Safe Mode and did a system restore. I have looked at both the CSC log and the CDC log and they show nothing out of the ordinary. The Disk Cleaner portion of CSC has behaved exactly the way it did on these 2 computers when I ran it using Safe Delete in the previous version of CDC.

The Safe Delete function is still NOT SAFE to use on our 2 Vista Ultimate desktop computers. As I stated in my bug report post for the previous version of CSC, in regards to using CDC, it gives me absolutely no problems if I just go ahead and use CDC without Safe Delete to clean the temp files that it finds. Being able to create a restore point has been a much more valuable tool in the CDC program than Safe Delete ever was. The Safe Delete function in CDC needs some serious work, because this is the second version of CSC’s CDC that Safe Delete has failed to work correctly.

Hello

Can you please send the log file or can you tell how many files did you try to delete ?

Thank you.

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); XP-SP3 Home Edition, 32-bit
  • Security Software Installed; NIS 2009, TrojanHunter V5.0.962, SAS PRO V4.25.1014
  • How you produced the problem; Just install CSC and reboot computer
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; Only way is to perform system restore
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); None
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; None
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; None
  • Any other Additional Information;

When I install CSC and then reboot computer, the computer stalls at the Windows XP loading page and will not boot up. I have to go into SAFE MODE and perform a system restore back to a point prior to installing CSC. On the installation of CSC, all I do is let it open, perform an update check, close CSC, and reboot. No logs are generated.

Screenshots of the CDC and CSC logs are attached for the computer that you requested. I will send the screenshots for the first computer’s CDC and CSC logs in a second reply to this same post.
Thanks

Edit:
I thought of something else to try. I ran CDC with Safe Delete enabled again, but first I changed all the Comodo Internet Security Defense+ Advanced Predefined Security Policies back to the default setting of ‘No’. I previously had most of these settings set to ‘Yes’. I found that this didn’t make any difference at all. The computer still reboots immediately upon clicking either the Finalize or Restore Files buttons and continues in this loop until a system restore is performed. I am at a loss as to why Safe Delete won’t complete by either finalizing or restoring files on this computer.

Attached are screenshots of the CDC and CSC logs for the first computer that I posted about. I don’t see anything unusual in either of these two logs or in the logs that I previously sent you for the other computer. But maybe there is something there that I am missing.
Thanks

Edit:
I thought of something else to try. I ran CDC with the Safe Delete function enabled again, but first I added CDC.exe, CPC.exe and CSC.exe to the CIS Defense+ \ Advanced \ Predefined Security Policies \ Windows System Application \ Protection Settings \ Interprocess Memory Access \ Exclusions list. I have this Interprocess Memory Access Protection Settings set to ‘Yes’, instead of the default ‘No’ setting. This time when I rebooted the computer after CDC cleaning, it did not hang before reaching the logon screen. It rebooted completely and I clicked Finalize and the CDC cleaning successfully finished. So CDC with Safe Delete enabled is functioning correctly on this computer now.

I was just trying out the Autorun Manager, and the Properties dialogue for services is the wrong size. It cuts off most of the information, and cannot be resize.

Here’s some screenshots:

Power clean my computer doesn’t remember privacy settings.

I unchecked media player history and media player playlist. When I run power clean my computer it clears every thing in my Windows media player.

Reported for previous version, still not fixed.

1. CPU Athlon 64 X2 4600+
  2. Windows XP pro, service pack 3, 32 bit
  3. CIS 3.8.65951.477
  4. Antivirus - default settings
  5. Firewall - custom policy mode
  6. Defense+ - training mode
  7. Administrator account

I have just installed a new version and i have one problem. After running a registry cleaner (with safe delete option) and rebooting, i pressed the finalize button, but nothing happend. In previous versions csc used to display a window with some information about complete deletion progress.

Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit) - WinXP SP3 32 bit
Security Software Installed - CIS 3.8, Avira AV 8.2

same here. after clicking finalize nothing appeared. one more thing i want to ask. i haven’t used powercleanup coz i dont know how it works. i mean there is no proper info in help file. i want to know after clicking powercleanup it shows the analysis or directly deletes.

thanxx
naren

It runs CRC, CDC and CPC with the settings you have selected and deletes what it finds without a summary page. If you have Registry Protection set, it will reboot after cleaning just as if you had done it manually.

Hello!
This problem is fixed now, and another version will be released in a couple of days.
Thanks for your post!

I Run Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit SP1
Lastest Versions of CIS and BoClean
Settings at Default
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz
Memory (Ram) 6.0 Gb
Administrator account

My Computer crashes everytime after using Comodo System Cleaner with Blue Screen and system dump.
This has happened after using the latest version of CSC 1.1.64939.31 & the previous 2 versions.
I can Recreate this problem after each time using the Softaware.
After I get the Blue Screen Crash and Dump I also get the message that I have:
Hard Disk Drive failure
Press F1 to continue, F2to enter setup
???

I have 32 bit Vista Ultimate, but I would be very concerned about the “hard Disk Drive failure” message. Computers today are actually able to monitor the health of the hard drive. I don’t know how old you system is, but you may have a hard drive that is going bad, even though it may not be that old. Have you tried running chkdsk from a DOS prompt? You can get the parameters for chkdsk by typing chkdsk /?.

Larlyles opined:

I share the concernes about the hard drive health, but suggest that Chkdsk doesn’t do the job of interacting with the SMART technology in an adequate way to assess health. I suggest Steve Gibson’s Spinrite found at grc.com. This is perhaps the best software for evaluating and CURING hard drive ills, and for data recovery.

I’m using Windows XP Professional SP3. I have AVG and Spybot for my security software. My one problem is that I updated to this version via a link in the forums, ran a manual update check, and can’t update past this version even though I was notified that an update was available. I get as far as clicking the Update button to download the update and instantly it shows an error message saying it couldn’t download the update.

I’m getting the same response from the updater. I heard that there is an update expected soon. Maybe things are getting into place, but haven’t become completely available yet.