Author Topic: COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 Released!  (Read 109252 times)

Offline Maitre

COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 causes Opera to crash
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
One can only wonder ...

... where the tendency to dumb things down with every update stems from. The user interface is a catastrophe in terms of configurability and was much better in version 5. Furthermore, decent configuration options are pretty much non-existent for the antivirus component, resulting in tons of false alerts. Sure, one can turn off the alerts, but that is not a solution to the problem. Take a look at ESET NOD32 folks -- it's about time.

The firewall component, usually the strong element of the suite, has become confusing and non-configurable with version 6, too. The Sandbox never displays anything and always appears empty, even if there was a pop-up that something has been limited/restricted. The "advanced settings" are a joke and still for n00bs, leaving one clueless as to where to look for what was previously located a little more logically.

After every update, even after a minor one like today, many configuration settings disappear. For instance, the list of application rules is suddenly empty again. How hard can it be to convert/save the settings from one version to the next?

Due to the Sandbox not displaying what has been limited, the application rules having disappeared and all the other annoyances, it is difficult and sometimes next to impossible to find out what the problem is when something suddenly does not work any more.

Today's example is the Opera browser, latest version 12.13. It worked fine to download the setup files for COMODO. COMODO updated with 'only' two reboots and although the messages about "never having run an initial scan" and "never updated virus database" were simply bullocks, the database download/update and initial scan worked correctly, too.

What does not work anymore is Opera -- it constantly crashes during launch, presenting the error report screen. Nothing else has changed on the computer, only the update of COMODO to version 6.0.264710.2708. Defining Opera as a web browser or trusted application did not help; removing the respective rules again did not help either (it did before COMODO's update, when CIS decided to block Opera after updating the browser from 12.12 to 12.13). Resetting the Sandbox and rebooting (helped sometimes in the past) have not had any positive effect either.

This is outrageous and one can only wonder what the beta testers are doing if not at least putting the five major independent web browsers through their paces. At least the ten most popular browsers, e-mail programs, antivirus/firewall programs from other vendors and VoIP programs should be known to CIS before it is released, and be checked regularly for updates on their publishers' sites, so that CIS does not constantly bother people with stupid false or unnecessary alerts.

Back to the issue at hand: what needs to be done where, in order to get Opera up on its feet again?

This post was written using Firefox, so why would Opera be blocked and FF not?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:04:58 PM by Maitre »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 Released!
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
One can only wonder ...

... where the tendency to dumb things down with every update stems from. The user interface is a catastrophe in terms of configurability and was much better in version 5. Furthermore, decent configuration options are pretty much non-existent for the antivirus component, resulting in tons of false alerts. Sure, one can turn off the alerts, but that is not a solution to the problem. Take a look at ESET NOD32 folks -- it's about time.

The firewall component, usually the strong element of the suite, has become confusing and non-configurable with version 6, too. The Sandbox never displays anything and always appears empty, even if there was a pop-up that something has been limited/restricted. The "advanced settings" are a joke and still for n00bs, leaving one clueless as to where to look for what was previously located a little more logically.
You're not alone:
[Merged]Its me or there are other people too who dont like the new Interface
Back to V5

After every update, even after a minor one like today, many configuration settings disappear. For instance, the list of application rules is suddenly empty again. How hard can it be to convert/save the settings from one version to the next?
Could you give more details? What OS, from what version of CIS to what version did you update? You suggest it happens with every update you ever did? What time line are we talking about here?

Due to the Sandbox not displaying what has been limited, the application rules having disappeared and all the other annoyances, it is difficult and sometimes next to impossible to find out what the problem is when something suddenly does not work any more.
Sometimes a clean install works "miracles".

Today's example is the Opera browser, latest version 12.13. It worked fine to download the setup files for COMODO. COMODO updated with 'only' two reboots and although the messages about "never having run an initial scan" and "never updated virus database" were simply bullocks, the database download/update and initial scan worked correctly, too.

What does not work anymore is Opera -- it constantly crashes during launch, presenting the error report screen. Nothing else has changed on the computer, only the update of COMODO to version 6.0.264710.2708. Defining Opera as a web browser or trusted application did not help; removing the respective rules again did not help either (it did before COMODO's update, when CIS decided to block Opera after updating the browser from 12.12 to 12.13). Resetting the Sandbox and rebooting (helped sometimes in the past) have not had any positive effect either.
The upgrade to Opera 12.13 is a bit rough round the edges. I am an Opera user and saw the solution at the Desktop Team blog (may be it is also at the Opera forums):
Quote from: Gela2010
Crashes when autoupdate tells that I have the last version and I click button "OK". if you delete a folder widgets then works normally

This is outrageous and one can only wonder what the beta testers are doing if not at least putting the five major independent web browsers through their paces. At least the ten most popular browsers, e-mail programs, antivirus/firewall programs from other vendors and VoIP programs should be known to CIS before it is released, and be checked regularly for updates on their publishers' sites, so that CIS does not constantly bother people with stupid false or unnecessary alerts.
Lot's off applications are digitally signed and therefor eligable for a request on the Trusted Software Vendor list. Link to corporate entrance: http://internetsecurity.comodo.com/trustedvendor/signup.php .

Back to the issue at hand: what needs to be done where, in order to get Opera up on its feet again?

This post was written using Firefox, so why would Opera be blocked and FF not?
Opera is on the TVL but had problems with the latest update...

Offline Maitre

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:24 PM »
The operating system is Windows XP SP3  32 bit, all updates, hotfixes etc. applied.

Opera had been updated from 12.12 to 12.13 the day before yesterday and worked correctly under CIS 6.0.2... (whatever the latest version before this one was). Opera downloaded the CIS installer files and then I closed itr normally, just like all other applications. Without anything else running, CIS was updated, the signatures downloaded, etc., nothing else. After the third reboot when the signatures were installed, Opera does not start any longer. When its GUI appears, it immediately closes down and Opera's error report screen pops up.

Given that the browser worked "within specified parameters" for nearly two days, up to the very moment that CIS was updated, it is difficult to imagine how the problem could be the fault of "Opera being rough around the edges".

Disabling CIS' behaviour blocker, antivirus or firewall component does not help, neither does exiting CIS altogether. I ran Opera's installer again, but to no avail. It would seem as if CIS "quarantines" or blocks something that the browser needs to launch and operate.

Given that Opera integrates so many functions (e-mail, newsgroups, ...) it would be really, really awkward to uninstall it, thereby losing all the tiny tweaks and configuration settings, bookmarks, e-mails of various accounts, and so on. Again, it worked fine until the very last moment before CIS was updated today, and no other programs have been run since then, apart from Firefox to search for help and write this post.

The same goes for CIS: all the opened ports, rules to allow certain incoming connections for particular programs, everything that took so long to figure out would be gone -- and with the lousy interface and crippled configuration options since version 6, it would take even longer to get it all up and running again -- hoping and praying that CIS doesn't play similar tricks on other applications during the process.

A real bummer ...

Offline sybn

• Comodo Member
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »
What is wrong with this version? I tried install it 4 times! It hangs after installation, and lags to display the cis tray icon, after several minutes I can open the program, but it still lags terribly, it took more than 5 minutes to open the advanced configuration option in comodo firewall!

windows 8 x64

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2013, 12:02:22 AM »
What is wrong with this version? I tried install it 4 times! It hangs after installation, and lags to display the cis tray icon, after several minutes I can open the program, but it still lags terribly, it took more than 5 minutes to open the advanced configuration option in comodo firewall!

windows 8 x64

I noticed this version is even worse than the last in that respect.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline sybn

• Comodo Member
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »

I skipped the first cis 6 version because I read comments about this problem, i'm surprised this haven't been fixed,
well free software... can't really complain.

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »
If you haven't already please note this in the bug report.

well free software... can't really complain.
I disagree. If people don't pass on constructive criticism (or perhaps constructive complaints ;)) CIS will not continue to improve.

Thanks.

Offline burebista

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:31 AM »
[...]lags to display the cis tray icon, after several minutes I can open the program, but it still lags terribly, it took more than 5 minutes to open the advanced configuration option in comodo firewall!
Whoa, so I'm not alone. I thought that is was something about my computer. XP x32 SP3.
But strange, at home on Seven x64 everything is fine.  ???
If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2013, 02:55:11 AM »
Everything is fine here on three different computers. Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Vista Home Basic 32 bit, and XP Pro SP 3 32 bit. All running CIS 6 in the default Internet Security configuration.   Behavior Blocker on, HIPS disabled, Firewall in Safe Mode. All were updated through the GUI from the previous version.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2013, 03:38:54 AM »
I notice some of these lags are related to things that are not 'trusted' during system start-up.
If I make sure that everything is in trusted state it seems to make a bunch of difference.
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:37 AM »
I will try to do this next time. Right now, i dont have the list easily accessible. Every month there will be these types of incomaptability fixes. Will try to include as many as possible.

Thank you Egemen, much appreciated.

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 04:50:04 AM »

windows 8 x64
It's improved here on Win7. So maybe there is something OS-specific going on. Keep Killswitch open and look for high CPU in CIS and other processes simultaneously. Sometimes the correlation is instructive. Ronny's advice is also good - make sure they are trustworthy first though!

Note that rating scan can add 200+ unknown files to CIS

Best wishes

Mouse

Offline bluesjunior

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:45 AM »
I had my CIS set up according to Chirons tutorial over at Gizmo's site and found that after the update it had reset it all to default. On another matter the Comodo secure DNS servers were causing me problems and might also be causing some of the things posted above rather than the update itself?.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2013, 05:20:44 AM »
I notice some of these lags are related to things that are not 'trusted' during system start-up.
If I make sure that everything is in trusted state it seems to make a bunch of difference.

I think that's good advice, at least, for those who use most of the components. However, for people like me, where only the firewall is used and everything else is disabled, it probably won't make any difference. Perhaps therein lies the problem.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline o_lindh

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »
My computer hanged today, after that I could only restart windows in safe mode. I am running windows vista. After disabling comodo internet security everything works fine. Anyone else experiencing same?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek