Author Topic: COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 Released!  (Read 109212 times)

Offline Montana 1

• Comodo Loves me
Re: COMODO Internet Security 6.0.264710.2708 Released!
« Reply #465 on: March 31, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »
If the newest version is one up from the video, CIS looks even more promising. :)  One of the most eyecatching features I like is the Sandbox, which is an invaluable and quirky feature which sounds similar to Kingsoft's Cloud feature (on reflection, I think their PC Doctor may be a very deep program like Glary, so maybe I should exercise caution, but having said that, other than a potential close escape with Glary, it's been very reliable in other respects). 

After some negative reviews about CIS's first version, including that the Sandbox was quarantining some web sites/programs and not allowing access to safe ones, but also several positives to the Sandbox, I was and am even more impressed with the improvements that have been made to this Suite.

Some negative reviews have been on here in the past a few months ago and on other sites, but going by what you've said and the video demonstration, I am very keen to install this at a later date.

The problem with at least some reviews of products, both CIS and others, is that you're reliant upon the opinions of the reviewers, who can be biased or genuine, but it's not always easy to tell.  In some other cases, people can give bad reviews, not in spite but based upon observations of how products have affected their computers.

AVG is very good generally (I have the subscription version), but in more recent months, I've found it tends to block certain site links which Comodo's Web Inspector says are malware free.  

http://rare-tv-archive.webuda.com/

The first two sub-links within the above link are blocked by AVG, so other than uninstalling AVG, I can't access them.  Once I install CIS, I should be able to re-access them.  They weren't blocked originally, but for some reason, AVG no longer allows them.

I don't yet know, but hopefully CIS will have all the same facilities as AVG, including scanning incoming and outgoing e-mails, as well as preventing me and other users accidentally getting infected by malicious sites or genuine sites that have been infected.  At present, I can't use Comodo's own servers, as they're not the closest, my existing ISP is the fastest, best option, but if things ever change, I'll opt for Comodo's servers for optimum protection.

As you've said AVG with Comodo Firewall would give solid protection, even though I only have a few months left in my AVG subscription, it might be worthwhile me adding CF to work in conjunction with AVG.  I already have the Windows Firewall, but I gather this is less secure than alternatives.

I have Windows Vista 32 bit version, and will try out the free version at a later date, but the pay versions also sound very good. :)  

I currently only have one Comodo product installed - IceDragon, but I have remained very impressed with this from the start and look forward to adding other Comodo products in due course.  Their firewall sounds a must additional extra from your description. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:27:19 PM by Montana 1 »

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #466 on: March 31, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
I don't yet know, but hopefully CIS will have all the same facilities as AVG, including scanning incoming and outgoing e-mails,
Instead of spending resources scanning each email, Comodo scans everything just before it is about to be loaded into memory. Thus, you are just as protected as if it scanned each email, but there will be less resource usage, meaning that your computer will be just a little bit faster.

as well as preventing me and other users accidentally getting infected by malicious sites or genuine sites that have been infected.  At present, I can't use Comodo's own servers, as they're not the closest, my existing ISP is the fastest, best option, but if things ever change, I'll opt for Comodo's servers for optimum protection.
If you can't use Comodo's DNS Servers then I would advise using Norton DNS servers (which are also free). Please try these and see if the speed is acceptable.

I already have the Windows Firewall, but I gather this is less secure than alternatives.
Absolutely, compared to Comodo Firewall Windows Firewall provides very little protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Montana 1

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #467 on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
Hi Chiron

This alternative method to scanning each e-mail is equally very effective. :)  I'd not thought of this as a concept but this is also very promising.  I agree with you about the importance of minimizing memory resources.  Several programs for different purposes are very good, but at least some heavily hog up resources and any program that can improve the speed and security of my computer using less resources is always very welcome.

I've looked up Norton's DNS Servers page and it turns out their servers can be activated just by changing certain IP addresses.  My existing ISP has just one IP address, instead of the common two sets of addresses, which is also my nearest.

When the long duration DNS server option facility completed, intriguingly there was no sign of Comodo's UK servers, whose nearest one is currently Manchester, but hopefully extending full UK wide coverage in due course.  Some others are untrustworthy, so I shall avoid them, as they redirect users to third party sites without their permission.  The good news is that anyone who changes their DNS servers can easily revert them back by either switching the original ISP option or replacing the current servers with their existing servers' IP addresses.

Comodo's DNS servers are located about 300 miles from me while the nearest Norton ones are about 100 miles from me, but still considerably further away than the local one up the road from me.  

I don't know if distance always has an impact on results, but if you know the differences and limitations between single servers and two IP addresses servers, please let me know, as while my ISP is the closest, it only uses the one server, so could be limiting speeds and security.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:06:28 PM by Montana 1 »

Offline gonwk

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #468 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
Do you have to use DNS servers in order to use CIS 6.0!?!?

Offline Jaspion

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Jaspion's Forum
« Reply #469 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
Do you have to use DNS servers in order to use CIS 6.0!?!?
No, the use of Comodo DNS servers is absolutely optional.
Jaspion Scripts for MyDefrag
The most powerful HDD defragmenter and optimizer is now even better and easier to use.
Visit our forum: http://jaspion.boards.net

Offline gonwk

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #470 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
No, the use of Comodo DNS servers is absolutely optional.

Thanks Jaspion! :)

Offline S.sarkar

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #471 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »
cis is really a good antivirus but it has a problem with big virus signature data base file which is 133 mb and it is increasing day by day. so it is very problematic for the slow net connection users to  update the virus signature data base files (manually or automatically) please do something on it  so that no one face this problem in future. :)
windows 10 32 Bit, Google chrome latest version, Firefox 42.0 .

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #472 on: April 04, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
cis is really a good antivirus but it has a problem with big virus signature data base file which is 133 mb and it is increasing day by day. so it is very problematic for the slow net connection users to  update the virus signature data base files (manually or automatically) please do something on it  so that no one face this problem in future. :)

This issue was raised before... I'm not sure if they will change it or not...
Proud Comodo User (CIS, CD, CID and CMS)

Offline gonwk

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #473 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
Is there a place that shows Comparison of the Various AV's ... to see how does Comodo CIS stack up against other AV's!?!?

Offline L.A.R. Grizzly

• Comodo's Hero
  • Akron, Ohio, USA
    • Grizzly's Home Page
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:24:49 PM by L.A.R. Grizzly »
AMD FX-8320 8 Core 3.50 GHz - 16 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM - nVidia GT610 Graphics
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
CIS 7.0.317799.4142, CCE 2.5.2421

Offline MartiusD

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2013, 02:34:19 AM »
Is there a place that shows Comparison of the Various AV's ... to see how does Comodo CIS stack up against other AV's!?!?
See the CIS Certifications, Test Results & Reviews thread in this forum.

For AV comparison stats updated daily see CRDF Threat Center https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats and Shadowserver Foundation http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Viruses

NOTE: The Matousec link provided above by L.A.R. Grizzly compares firewalls only, not AVs.

Offline RealNature

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Nothing without God
« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2013, 03:45:37 AM »

For AV comparison stats updated daily see CRDF Threat Center https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats and Shadowserver Foundation http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Viruses

NOTE: The Matousec link provided above by L.A.R. Grizzly compares firewalls only, not AVs.
Thx for sharing this, I always don't know witch has a better detection, comodo av or avast free, but according to threatcenter.cdf.fr they are equal on detection 35%(daily detection test). So between avast and comodo av, to be honestly I fell much more secure with comodo av ;D

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:52 AM »

For AV comparison stats updated daily see CRDF Threat Center https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats[/color] and Shadowserver Foundation http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Viruses

That's a very Q source. I don't trust it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:39:57 AM by Seany007 »

Offline RealNature

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Nothing without God
« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2013, 04:21:31 AM »
That's very Q source. I don't trust it.
Hmm maybe you right, I too start to wonder, with default deny of comodo so low result.

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »
Hmm maybe you right, I too start to wonder, with default deny of comodo so low result.

They only test AV from what I know. It's not that. The statistics do change rapidly, sometimes don't change at all for weeks, server goes down and up and at times so called daily testing is just ridiculous saying that the AhnLab beats Comodo in detection ROFL!

Not to mention that they have their favorites esp ESET always on top most of the time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:41:22 AM by Seany007 »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek