Author Topic: COMODO Internet Security 4.0.135239.742 Released  (Read 189943 times)

Offline Banned

• Comodo Loves me
Re: COMODO Internet Security 4.0.135239.742 Released
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »
Problem Solved!

The point, is not so much that people may potentially find themselves inadvertently unprotected whilst downloading the product, although as a design concept it's  about as dumb as dumb gets, particularly from a security vendor, who should know better, is that I have to remove product xyz, enable another product (windows firewall), or leave myself open for as long as it takes, download this product, install it, them start all over. It's just bizarre.

Another point to consider is that using this new method, I'm tied in to downloading from comodos servers, I can no longer obtain the installer from a third party, such as filehippo. It's just another way comodo can collect statistics about us.

"There's a gullible side to the American people. They can be easily misled. Religion is the best device used to mislead them."

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
To All Concerned,

I noticed today.
They now have included direct links to the alternate installers. (same as unofficial offline installer post links)

On the Official CIS Download page.
http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis&entryURL=

[attachment deleted by admin]
CIS    Firefox  NoScript  Please remember to follow The Forum Policy.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
Another point to consider is that using this new method, I'm tied in to downloading from comodos servers, I can no longer obtain the installer from a third party, such as filehippo. It's just another way comodo can collect statistics about us.

And you don't think filehippo is collecting stats on you?  88)

Plain and simple. If you're worried about having info collected about what you do, the internet is not a place for you. Every single page you visit is collecting data about you.

Edit: Not to mention that it doesn't matter where you download the application from because the act of installing the software registers you on Comodo's servers. ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:02:03 PM by HeffeD »

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
« Reply #498 on: March 20, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
To All Concerned,

I noticed today.
They now have included direct links to the alternate installers. (same as unofficial offline installer post links)

On the Official CIS Download page.
http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis&entryURL=

Thanks, that is nice to know.  :)

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #499 on: March 20, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

Let's leave aside all criticism re: v4

I may just comment on this note
I have a suggestion for everyone who complains about not having a firewall to protect them when uninstalling/installing this wonderful (slightly flawed i.e. sandbox) program.
Use Windows firewall for a temporary protective state and then always disengage it afterwords.
Problem Solved!
Hi rogerg2,

Problem is not solved (if there any problem ... I don't think so...)

... but the suggestion itself is wrong  That's as simple as that. Please don't be offended.

Keep in mind that I am commenting as a user of Comodo's Firewall only since version “zero”.
And the version 3.14 is the last one for me. I will use this version only... until...

The notification by Comodo installer about disabling existing firewall whether it's the native Windows Firewall or uninstalling any 3rd party Firewall – is absolutely correct and there should not be any  doubts about it. Period!

You should not have two firewalls during the system functionality and you must not have any other active during the installation of the new Firewall.

Then, the matter was discussed previously many times here in the forum including the off-line installation.

Most of the updates were done by on-line auto-updates.

But there were several cases when the Clean re-Install was required.

All of such re-installations were made here being off-line.

That is one of the features discussed in the forum numerous times
Many users pointed that out; that was promised  by Comodo developers and that promise was kept... at least until now

My latest installation was performed for Windows 7 x64.

And the procedure in brief is this:

1) Disconnect;
2) Disable the native Windows Firewall or uninstall existing 3rd party firewall;
3) Properly disable any existing layers of security... whatever one is using;
4) Reboot;
5) Now you are disconnected – nothing should interfere – please use the respective Comodo's Installer

That's it – that is a solution – having Windows Firewall active is not

As I said I will never use v4, but I am almost sure there will be possible to perform offline installation as it is possible currently.

note: for those who are installing Comodo's AV as a part of the package and if the latter requires and immediate update after the installation (which usually is the case with other AVs and/or anti-malware solutions) the installer has to be sure that the Comodo's Firewall is in place already before notifying about the necessity of the Signatures update. If the latter requires the Reboot  including re-enabling the connection – I don't see anything wrong with that.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:45:41 PM by SiberLynx »
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline rogerg2

• Comodo's Hero
  • If It Is Not Broken, DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT!
« Reply #500 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:53 PM »
And you don't think filehippo is collecting stats on you?  88)

Plain and simple. If you're worried about having info collected about what you do, the internet is not a place for you. Every single page you visit is collecting data about you.

Edit: Not to mention that it doesn't matter where you download the application from because the act of installing the software registers you on Comodo's servers. ;)

That is correct! And I know firsthand that every single page that you visit is tracked and recorded by someone in the higher-ups! Don't believe me? Ask any Fed who knows anything about anything i.e. NSA, CIA, FBI, DEA, etc. and they will tell you the exact same thing!
Windows 7 Ultimate/Asus Crosshair V Formula/AMD 8350FX 4.4xx GHz/CD 31.1 /CIS 7.0.315459.4132/Norton DNS/Malwarebytes 2.0.1.1004

Offline rogerg2

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #501 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

Let's leave aside all criticism re: v4

I may just comment on this note Hi rogerg2,

Problem is not solved (if there any problem ... I don't think so...)

... but the suggestion itself is wrong  That's as simple as that. Please don't be offended.

Keep in mind that I am commenting as a user of Comodo's Firewall only since version “zero”.
And the version 3.14 is the last one for me. I will use this version only... until...

The notification by Comodo installer about disabling existing firewall whether it's the native Windows Firewall or uninstalling any 3rd party Firewall – is absolutely correct and there should not be any  doubts about it. Period!

You should not have two firewalls during the system functionality and you must not have any other active during the installation of the new Firewall.

Then, the matter was discussed previously many times here in the forum including the off-line installation.

Most of the updates were done by on-line auto-updates.

But there were several cases when the Clean re-Install was required.

All of such re-installations were made here being off-line.

That is one of the features discussed in the forum numerous times
Many users pointed that out; that was promised  by Comodo developers and that promise was kept... at least until now

My latest installation was performed for Windows 7 x64.

And the procedure in brief is this:

1) Disconnect;
2) Disable the native Windows Firewall or uninstall existing 3rd party firewall;
3) Properly disable any existing layers of security... whatever one is using;
4) Reboot;
5) Now you are disconnected – nothing should interfere – please use the respective Comodo's Installer

That's it – that is a solution – having Windows Firewall active is not

As I said I will never use v4, but I am almost sure there will be possible to perform offline installation as it is possible currently.

note: for those who are installing Comodo's AV as a part of the package and if the latter requires and immediate update after the installation (which usually is the case with other AVs and/or anti-malware solutions) the installer has to be sure that the Comodo's Firewall is in place already before notifying about the necessity of the Signatures update. If the latter requires the Reboot  including re-enabling the connection – I don't see anything wrong with that.

Cheers!

No offense taken. :-) I understand the concept of not running two separate firewalls and/or antivirus software's at one time, but I do understand the relevance of why you should not be able to temporarily run the Windows firewall when installing and uninstalling this software? Please inform me because I had  inadvertently missed that discussion on this subject if it had discussed this particular situation.
Windows 7 Ultimate/Asus Crosshair V Formula/AMD 8350FX 4.4xx GHz/CD 31.1 /CIS 7.0.315459.4132/Norton DNS/Malwarebytes 2.0.1.1004

Offline Banned

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
To All Concerned,

I noticed today.

Thank you for this information :)

And you don't think filehippo is collecting stats on you?  Roll Eyes

I noticed your response did not address itself to the main point of my post, but instead focused on a throwaway comment regarding privacy. On the subject of which, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to lecture me, as your grasp on the matter is obviously based somewhere south of la la land, no offence :)

Regardless, the discussion is now moot, as comodo have realised the error of their ways and have taken some steps to mitigate the issue.

"There's a gullible side to the American people. They can be easily misled. Religion is the best device used to mislead them."

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #503 on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
No offense taken. :-) …

Thanks  :-TU that was expected as much

... but I do understand the relevance of why you should not be able to temporarily run the Windows firewall when installing and uninstalling this software?...
You meant “do not”  ;)

I was hoping that my point was clear, but since English is not my 1st language I may imagine that the message did not get through. That's fine

The relevance:

Let me ask you how many Firewalls you've tested before the Comodo?

I am using the annoying technique, which is answering the question by asking another question  ;D

Why would all of them notify you during the installation / rather at the very beginning of it (stressing!) , before all other important thing will happen regarding the changes applied to your System, that “another Firewall” must not be present?

Let's look at it from the perspective of an “ordinary user”, who mainly is not very experienced in computing (nothing wrong with that).

There is the  saying: “Do not think where it is not necessary to think, otherwise that will cause big  problems”  :)

Basically, I can end my comment here, but if we do think  :THNK:
if that would not be important the notification would appear, say,  after the complete installation... different situation  & that is not the case.

Finally, regarding the relevance (I am just curious)  why would you question the procedure described?

You are disconnected; all your security was shut down; nothing interferes; you are following the instruction (“another firewall uninstalled or the native one disabled”)

As I said, for many years of using Comodo's Firewall there was one & only case here during  migrating from v3.5 to 3.8  where such procedure didn't work, but that was because of a proven and then solved error in uninstalling procedure of the old v3.5 version (I was personally involved with developers re: that one).  That's all

I can tell you with high degree of certainty  that the most of the problems & issues users are facing installing CIS  (and any other security products) - they are performing the procedure when other security layers installed are active at that particular time.

Off-line installation basically is "the must" regarding security Software – that's my opinion and I know that many are supporting such opinion

Cheers!
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #504 on: March 20, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
I enable Windows Firewall when uninstalling and clean installing Comodo. It works for me. Even though it is not recommended that doesn't mean there may not be cases where having two working at the same time could work.  I do this at my own risk...;)

Luckily the Comodo download page now provides off line installers as well.
Thank you for this information :)

I noticed your response did not address itself to the main point of my post, but instead focused on a throwaway comment regarding privacy. On the subject of which, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to lecture me, as your grasp on the matter is obviously based somewhere south of la la land, no offence :)
Your remark about the privacy issue was off topic and erred on the side of humorlessness and now you are lecturing you don't want to be lectured and even dare to go below the belt? You started this ....

I guess the same type of measures that could prevent your information being tracked by Filehippo could be used to prevent Comodo from tracking your information.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #505 on: March 20, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »

No, I didn't address the main point of your post because I had no comment. I was merely pointing out that your paranoia was misdirected.

Offline Banned

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:08 AM »
Your remark about the privacy issue was off topic and erred on the side of humorlessness

The implication of the comment was never intended to convey levity, therefore it will probably be misconstrued as humourless. It's merely an observation, nothing more nothing less.

and now you are lecturing you don't want to be lectured and even dare to go below the belt?

lecturing, I think not. A mere request for no further comments regarding a subject and an observation that the initiator of the comment has little knowledge of the subject. below the belt? Perhaps. If the original poster deems my words to be inflammatory, then I apologise.

You started this ....

I started what, exactly?

I was merely pointing out that your paranoia was misdirected.

I don't suffer with any psychotic disorders, thank you, but I do like to pay attention where my privacy is concerned.

In addition, the main point of the 'controversial' paragraph was to illustrate that, before the additional installers were made officially available, the online installation meant having to connect to comodos servers, potentially providing a single point of failure.

That, as stated in my previous post, is no longer an issue, as I'm sure the offline installers will find their way onto third party file sharing sites.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2010, 04:52:13 AM »
A mere request for no further comments regarding a subject and an observation that the initiator of the comment has little knowledge of the subject.

Got me pegged. 88)

Offline rogerg2

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #508 on: March 21, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
Thanks  :-TU that was expected as much
You meant “do not”  ;)

No I think I was quite clear when I wrote that post that I do know and understand the entire concept on running 2 firewalls/antivirus at the same time. But like...Eric stated in his post that there is absolutely nothing wrong with running your Windows firewall "temporarily" just to alleviate the tensions one might feel from being "naked". Like I had stated temporarily.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:12:48 PM by rogerg2 »

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #509 on: March 21, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
But like...Eric stated in his post that there is absolutely nothing wrong with running your Windows firewall "temporarily" just to alleviate the tensions one might feel from being "naked". Like I had stated temporarily.

Also, if you are behind a router with NAT, you aren't at much risk to be temporarily without a software firewall.

As a quick test, go to GRC.com and run ShieldsUp! with only your NAT router. (Don't try this if you aren't sure your router has NAT enabled...) Hey, look at that. All ports stealth and not a firewall in sight!

Unless you are being specifically targeted, NAT is going to be shrugging off random net traffic that isn't specifically addressed to your machine. Note that NAT isn't a substitute for a firewall because anyone who knows you're there can breeze right through, but you aren't wide open to the general scattershot infection techniques so common on the internet. It's a bit like a locked door. Only those with a key can come in.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek