Author Topic: Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.7036 Released.  (Read 153115 times)

Offline Zee64

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.7036 Released.
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
But it's RC and according to users here, it won't update to a normal 7036 version, so I'm staying with 6882 for the time being.
They are the same thing. That's what RC is for.

Offline cruelsister

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2020, 04:36:55 PM »
A few things:

1). For those that have had issues with CIS, please note that Comodo Firewall has VirusScope and a Cloud AV lookup active by default. With CIS you will have an on-demand scanner- but you really need to ask if this is really needed.

2). CF will disable neither Windows Defender nor Windows Defender Firewall, and I would suggest leaving both on. WF active will prevent any issues with Windows Update, andWindows Defender has gotten fairly good (not quite as good as Kaspersky Cloud, but better than junk like FortiClient).

3). Also ask if HIPS is really needed if one has Containment active. HIPS (and this goes for HIPS used by other products also) tends to have a blind spot for certain malware (like Scriptors) that Sandboxes do not. HIPS also may be confusing to some, and in general can be an unneeded pain in the ass.

4). DO NOT (never ever) disable Script Analysis in Advanced Protection (trust me).

Offline Ploget

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • 'Your best teacher is your last mistake'
    • Schneier on Security
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2020, 05:07:06 PM »
Thank you - it's very much appreciated . . . especially the last  8)
A few things:

1). For those that have had issues with CIS, please note that Comodo Firewall has VirusScope and a Cloud AV lookup active by default. With CIS you will have an on-demand scanner- but you really need to ask if this is really needed.

2). CF will disable neither Windows Defender nor Windows Defender Firewall, and I would suggest leaving both on. WF active will prevent any issues with Windows Update, andWindows Defender has gotten fairly good (not quite as good as Kaspersky Cloud, but better than junk like FortiClient).

3). Also ask if HIPS is really needed if one has Containment active. HIPS (and this goes for HIPS used by other products also) tends to have a blind spot for certain malware (like Scriptors) that Sandboxes do not. HIPS also may be confusing to some, and in general can be an unneeded pain in the ass.

4). DO NOT (never ever) disable Script Analysis in Advanced Protection (trust me).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:39:58 PM by Ploget »
Ploget

Win10 x 64 Pro 21H2 (19044.1826) / CIS Pro 12.2.4.8032 & WiseVector StopX
Win11 x 64 Pro - 21H2 (22000.493) / CIS 12.2.2.8012
Comodo Forum Policy
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito”

Offline mmalheiros

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
That was also what I was thinking...

Once an OS is (even slightly) damaged then you have to restore it by re-installing or re-imaging it.
Sorry but that's the only solution.

Or disabling Security Center, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and ignore those useless warnings from Security Center, because as Comodo GUI says, everything in Comodo is enabled and the system is properly protected. I wouldn't leave Comodo just because of such an irrelevant issue. If Comodo was not working properly or not protecting the system, then that would be the case, but giving up due to a simple problem when registering to Security Center is not reasonable in my opinion. Security Center always had problems with malfunction since the Windows XP era.

Also by Installing/Uninstalling Comodo and Kaspersky multiple times, his Registry is most likely a mess and his Security Center iteration is most likely corrupted due to that. I think he is doing this (switching between Comodo and Kaspersky) at least once per month, due to (mostly) irrelevant issues.

Not trying to be offensive but I can't help but wonder if this is related to mental instability issues? If he does not trust in Comodo, and keeps leaving due to simple things only to return later, and leave again, then he should leave it permanently and use something else that he feels entirely comfortable with.

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »
Re-instaling OS is out of the question for me at this point in time. I won't accept that as the solution for not being able to install the latest CIS.

[at]maxik - I was referring to a post of prodex, please read my post Reply #147 again.

It was not my intention to suggest this as a general solution to everyone but only for this specific case.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:15:09 PM by CISfan »

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »
A few things:

1). Do you suggest or recommend to both disable VirusScope and a Cloud AV lookup in any case?

3). I always had (and still have) HIPS enabled and it takes a steep learning curve how to use it and how to respond to its popup Alerts.
HIPS isn't an easy feature to learn and to use but it's powerfull but certainly not as powerfull as a Sandbox or Containment, I fully agree.

Sandboxing is my preferred way too to run things that I don't trust.

4). Thanks for the tip!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:14:04 PM by CISfan »

Offline cruelsister

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
Therre is absolutely no need to disable either VirusScope or the Cloud lookup. ASomething that is often missed is that VirusScope (or Cloud) will detect/block/delete malware that is in the database WITHOUT a specific AV popup- for unknown malware you will instead see a "file is blocked" Containment popup instead of a "file is being run Restricted (or whatever).

As far as the HIPS is concerned, unless you like popups the sandbox (as well as the firewall on Safe Mode) is more than adequate.

Offline maxik

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »
[at]maxik - I was referring to a post of prodex, please read my post Reply #147 again.

It was not my intention to suggest this as a general solution to everyone but only for this specific case.
Yes, I know that :)
I was referring to Microsoft's lack of solution with their updater. When you read on M$ forum "reinstall the system, refresh it" again and again - it's aggravating. I apologize :)

Offline vitim

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Yes, I know that :)
I was referring to Microsoft's lack of solution with their updater. When you read on M$ forum "reinstall the system, refresh it" again and again - it's aggravating. I apologize :)

any tips for best security configuration on this new cis edition?

Offline maxik

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
any tips for best security configuration on this new cis edition?
I wish I could tell. I can't even install it on Windows 7 - it requires some policies that probably don't exist on this version of Windows... Only Windows 10 it seems.

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »
Ok, so here is my result of installing CIS premium v12.2.2.7036

- Using "cispremium_only_installer_130721_e0.exe" as supplied in the first post of this thread.
- Installed "cispremium_only_installer_130721_e0.exe" on a clean Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system with all MS updates.
   There was no CIS premium V12.x installed on the system before so I didn't have any uninstall to do.
- During the installation phase I choosed to:
   1) Not install the COMODO Antivirus component.
   2) Not check any of the checkboxes in the last setup window before clicking the Finish button.

After clicking the Finish button CIS asked me to reboot the system, so I did.
After reboot, and waiting a small amount of time for the tray icon to appear, I opened up CIS made a couple of changes in several settings to my preference and exported the CIS Configuration file on my system.

All I can say for the moment is, is that the installation of CIS premium v12.2.2.7036 on my system went very smoothly.
I did not encounter any hiccups during the installation phase.

I don't know what the future might bring when using CIS premium V12.2.2.7036 but so far it looks good.

Thank you Comodo!

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »
Therre is absolutely no need to disable either VirusScope or the Cloud lookup. ASomething that is often missed is that VirusScope (or Cloud) will detect/block/delete malware that is in the database WITHOUT a specific AV popup- for unknown malware you will instead see a "file is blocked" Containment popup instead of a "file is being run Restricted (or whatever).

Maybe a stupid question cruelsister but do I have to install the COMODO Antivirus component for this to work or does it also work for the Firewall only installation of CIS premium?

Thank you.

Offline maxik

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2020, 09:17:20 PM »
Ok, so here is my result of installing CIS premium v12.2.2.7036

- Using "cispremium_only_installer_130721_e0.exe" as supplied in the first post of this thread.
- Installed "cispremium_only_installer_130721_e0.exe" on a clean Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system with all MS updates.
   There was no CIS premium V12.x installed on the system before so I didn't have any uninstall to do.
- During the installation phase I choosed to:
   1) Not install the COMODO Antivirus component.
   2) Not check any of the checkboxes in the last setup window before clicking the Finish button.

After clicking the Finish button CIS asked me to reboot the system, so I did.
After reboot, and waiting a small amount of time for the tray icon to appear, I opened up CIS made a couple of changes in several settings to my preference and exported the CIS Configuration file on my system.

All I can say for the moment is, is that the installation of CIS premium v12.2.2.7036 on my system went very smoothly.
I did not encounter any hiccups during the installation phase.

I don't know what the future might bring when using CIS premium V12.2.2.7036 but so far it looks good.

Thank you Comodo!
Hmm, I didn't try to exclude AV module... maybe I should try?

Offline cruelsister

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »
CISfan- If you install Comodo Firewall both VirusScope and the Cloud AV (which can be seen as Enable Cloud Lookup in File Rating Settings) are both enabled by default.

With CF (vs CIS) you really will only lack the on-demand AV scanner (which is of dubious value).

Offline CISfan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2020, 01:45:58 AM »
CISfan- If you install Comodo Firewall both VirusScope and the Cloud AV (which can be seen as Enable Cloud Lookup in File Rating Settings) are both enabled by default.

With CF (vs CIS) you really will only lack the on-demand AV scanner (which is of dubious value).

Ok, I understand thanks.
I didn't install the Antivirus component because I'm already using another product for that for years now (sorry Comodo).

Do you maybe have more tips (about do's and don'ts) regarding the CIS configuration settings or are the default settings sufficient?

Many thanks.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek