Author Topic: CIS becoming paid?  (Read 16414 times)

Offline Cassette

• Comodo's Hero
Re: CIS becoming paid?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 04:59:27 AM »
I understand the commercial move, but still if I'd need to quickly deploy an antivirus on a customer pc, I surely won't go for Comodo since I can't loose 10 minutes to dig into the website, where competitors have 1 only click download button. Useless to say that loosing user base, means loosing detection capabilities.
I would just use the link in the forum like I always do. I surely wouldn't go to a competitor just because the website is easier to navigate. The word you're looking for is "lose" and "losing", BTW.

Offline jackor

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the surely-needed grammar correction.
I was talking in general. Do you think that a normal user would look for the link in the forum? Or maybe you think that Comodo user base is only built on forum members?
If you would have a basic knowledge on commercial stuffs, you would know that having an easy to navigate website, is the key of having much more users and a better appeal on the company and their products in general.
If you search on google "comodo free av" it leads to a page where its advised to buy the product. That's the message which the company is now using and that's what an user is getting: there is no free av but a commercial and paid product.
Analyst Programmer
0days & malware hunter since 2006

Offline Protected_PC

• Comodo's Hero
  • Protected Completely w/ Ubuntu Linux
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »
I was talking in general. Do you think that a normal user would look for the link in the forum? Or maybe you think that Comodo user base is only built on forum members?
If you would have a basic knowledge on commercial stuffs, you would know that having an easy to navigate website, is the key of having much more users and a better appeal on the company and their products in general.
If you search on google "comodo free av" it leads to a page where its advised to buy the product. That's the message which the company is now using and that's what an user is getting: there is no free av but a commercial and paid product.

It seems the members that talk about this are ignoring this link but I keep telling them that the Free Version has been right here> https://antivirus.comodo.com/free-internet-security-software.php?track=9786&af=14587

???  Are they too blind too look & check out this link?   ???  I just don't get it.
Setup: Ubuntu Linux 18.04.3 LTS/Linux Security

Offline megaherz33

• Comodo's Hero
  • Да здравствует Комодо (Рок-н-ролл) !
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »
Here is free (Russian site)

https://ru.comodo.com/trial_free/pc_security/free-internet-security.php

If the CIS becomes paid, this is very bad. Many users will switch to other products or use the latest free versions.  :( :( :( :-TD :-TD :-TD
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:26:09 PM by megaherz33 »

CIS (2020) 12.2.2.7036 RC
Windows 10 1909 Pro x64

Offline Protected_PC

• Comodo's Hero
  • Protected Completely w/ Ubuntu Linux
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
If CIS Free Premium does end up becoming a paid product (Which I hope it doesn't), although I'm using Linux, they'll end up losing 1 customer (me & maybe many others will reject COMODO too) they'll supposed to "Create Trust Online" not "Lose Trust Online". COMODO has been my Favorite Windows Security Software for many years, if it becomes a paid product, it'll end up becoming my least favorite.
Setup: Ubuntu Linux 18.04.3 LTS/Linux Security

Offline DeathCat

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:17 AM »
Comodo R.I.P.

Offline christarzan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 01:02:49 AM »
Don't personally mind Comodo becoming paid if it means we will have more development and optimization.

Unfortunately, this was something that was coming since Melih sold Comodo to some other people.

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 02:34:50 AM »
Don't personally mind Comodo becoming paid if it means we will have more development and optimization.

Unfortunately, this was something that was coming since Melih sold Comodo to some other people.
Please note Melih did NOT sell Comodo, just part of the business.

Dennis
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Centos 7.5 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP, NoScript
 Fedora 28 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Offline Ploget

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • 'Your best teacher, is your last mistake'
    • CIS Help
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 02:46:53 AM »
This is all based on a new website design, which appears to be more difficult to navigate than the old out of date one . . . . and has now descended into, 'I'll leave if it does' or 'I won't but don't like it' plus some misinformed statements etc. etc. etc.

It is still free and the links have been posted to everything already. Nothing has changed!! - I'm going for a coffee  8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:50:41 AM by Ploget »
Ploget
All Win10x64 Pro 1909 (18363.752) systems  /  CIS 2020 v.12.2.2.7036 RC
Comodo Forum Policy / CIS Help

Offline mmalheiros

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 06:28:42 AM »
I find it deplorable when a company succumbs to these type of campaigns. I recently needed to look up the standard cable tv package of the cable provider and it took me effort to locate it. It was almost buried in favor of more expensive interactive package with lot's of HD channels.

CIS is free and will always be free as per Melih's manifesto.

It is unfortunate the free version gets a big buried these days. It is not in line with the manifesto. CIS is free and when you want additional services that's where you start to pay.

This sums it up. It's not professional on Comodo's side to have only "UPGRADE" buttons leading to paid edition acquisition page on a FREE PRODUCT page. They could offer a small "Free Download" option at each one of the free product(s) page(s) because this is what a serious company would do. Not trying to mislead misinformed people into buying the paid edition.

Is this the way that Comodo is now "Creating Trust Online"? Misleading people into buying paid version?

Just go to: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-advanced.php

then click on Personal - they're all there . . . Free and Paid.  Yes the website is re-designed; more professional and aimed at users and Business who expect that that. I doubt that it's going to be changed anytime soon!! You can't build and expand a business by giving away everything free all the time

Some people also should notice that Comodo does indeed make money with the Free products, due to partnership with Yahoo, Yandex and Neustar DNS. If this is profitable or not it's another question, so no, they are not "giving away everything free all the time".

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 09:46:41 AM »
You can always untick the sponsor deals during installation. It is one of the first things I learned myself in another decade already.

Neustar DNS was acquired by Comodo. It is not a sponsor like Yahoo or Yandex.

Offline mmalheiros

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 06:24:27 AM »
You can always untick the sponsor deals during installation. It is one of the first things I learned myself in another decade already.

Neustar DNS was acquired by Comodo. It is not a sponsor like Yahoo or Yandex.

Sure, I don't mind them being included in installation of Free product and do uncheck them, I was just pointing to another user that Comodo does indeed make money with the Free versions, which is another reason for burying the Free products at main website to not be a professional move on Comodo's part.

But since the product will remain Free and as it seems this was a bad decision from Marketing department, this topic has run its course and can now be closed if appropriate.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
We usually don't close topics. We let them run their courses unless it is a highly controversial topic that is going out of hand.

Offline Cassette

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
I was talking in general. Do you think that a normal user would look for the link in the forum?
The spelling correction was for me. The constant misspelling of the word "lose" is annoying to me. Now you'll know how to spell it in the future.
You say that you were talking in general, but you weren't... You said,
if I'd need to quickly deploy an antivirus on a customer pc, I surely won't go for Comodo since I can't loose 10 minutes to dig into the website
Anyone who deploys an anti-virus for a customer is someone who is knowledgeable about computers, not a normal user. So you're moving the goal post right there. The Comodo website is a mess and if you had made that point, I would have agreed, but you didn't.

If Comodo does stop providing CIS for free, I wouldn't be happy about it, but $4.99 per year is hardly the end of the world. I would take more offense to it if they did it under the radar where no official notice is given. They've had a history of canceling products that way and it's very unprofessional. It doesn't create a lot of trust, that's for sure.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
I would like to stress Comodo is not going to stop providing CIS for free.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek