Author Topic: Another COMODO EULA controversy  (Read 40040 times)

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Re: Another COMODO EULA controversy
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
Agreed, but on the other hand have you ever seen a "clear" EULA?
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline J2897

• Comodo's Hero
  • Limted User Account Enforcer
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
Depends on what "Files" do you mean.

Which ever Files they choose.

Offline Breen

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
I hope someone from Comodo staff will give us some answers.. I sent PM to Melih but he is a CEO, and busy man..probably doesn't have time for reading all forum posts.

Offline BigMike

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
Agreed, but on the other hand have you ever seen a "clear" EULA?
No, I guess not - but I think this is not a reason for COMODO, not to take the first steps to a clearer and more understandable EULA.
But I'm pretty sure, that my wishes are too optimistic.

Offline Apach

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
Well that's what I posted today in CIS4 beta corner before I noticed this branch:

"Seams like CAV doesn't understand WinRAR SFX files. At least not all. Some SFX archives of mine, CAV considers as suspicious or even infected. I'm absolutely sure there are NO viruses. Some files may be commercial.
 So is there any possibility by default those files are sent out without notifying me? We all know every lock (encryption) can be broken. Question is rather serious for me and for other people as I can not use or recommend a "black-boxed" product. I know there are options  to allow or disallow but by default all these check box SHOULD be disabled."

So I'm also eager to hear an answer.

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
No, I guess not - but I think this is not a reason for COMODO, not to take the first steps to a clearer and more understandable EULA.
Don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to justify COMODO's EULA... I think it would be a big+ if these could be much more simple to read...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:17:11 AM by Ronny »
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline J2897

• Comodo's Hero
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »
... I think it would be a big+ if this could be much more simple to read...
Or just more 'specific' would be good enough for me. Something like:

• Comodo has the right to collect data-files after the user has seen exactly which data-files are about to be collected, and only after the user has clicked 'Send'.

I think it's good that people are actually reading these things. In the past, people just used to trust anyone.  :)

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
Update.
I have received a response.
And things still are not so... "clear".
I have requested a more specific reply.
Back to holding pattern for another day or so.

One important thing which has been mentioned, is that the Privacy Policy is written to cover a range of products under a number of possible scenarios.
So this may be an exercise akin to pulling hen's teeth, with regard to detailing specifics.

Everyone needs to be aware that the type and amount of personally identifiable/personal information, gathered/held/required/used.
Is vastly different depending on the product/scenario.
Example two opposite extremes.
Let's say someone downloads and installs CIS Free and doesn't give their email address.
V'S
Someone or some business buying a EV cert.
You should see there is a vast difference in what inormation we are dealing with.
And who knows how many other possible scenarios could apply, given the range of products Comodo produces.
So yea, any single all encompassing legal policy is going to have to seem vague/general.

I think many people's confusion arises because they tend to forget that CIS isn't true freeware, it is a paid commercial product when used in full with the added services.
So the EULA and the Privacy Policy contain wording meant to cover real info, that does matter.
CC numbers,banking info, names and addresses and the like.

Free users should really calm down, when reading the Policies.
You are not being scanned, intercepted, or harvested for some nefarious purpose.
And the Policy wording also covers/allows for the sharing of your email with affiliates, which is purely Opt In/Opt Out, If and when you freely choose to give your email address during an install to receive newsletters and offers from affiliates.

So I'm just going to wait and see if I can get a more detailed response.

Later Bad
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:16:36 PM by Bad Frogger »
CIS    Firefox  NoScript  Please remember to follow The Forum Policy.

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Update.
I have received a response.
And things still are not so... "clear".
I have requested a more specific reply.
Back to holding pattern for another day or so.

One important thing which has been mentioned, is that the Privacy Policy is written to cover a range of products under a number of possible scenarios.
So this may be an exercise akin to pulling hen's teeth, with regard to detailing specifics.

Everyone needs to be aware that the type and amount of personally identifiable/personal information, gathered/held/required/used.
Is vastly different depending on the product/scenario.
Example two opposite extremes.
Let's say someone downloads and installs CIS Free and doesn't give their email address.
V'S
Someone or some business buying a EV cert.
You should see there is a vast difference in what inormation we are dealing with.
And who knows how many other possible scenarios could apply, given the range of products Comodo produces.
So yea, any single all encompassing legal policy is going to have to seem vague/general.

I think many people's confusion arises because they tend to forget that CIS isn't true freeware, it is a paid commercial product when used in full with the added services.
So the EULA and the Privacy Policy contain wording meant to cover real info, that does matter.
CC numbers,banking info, names and addresses and the like.

Free users should really calm down, when reading the Policies.
You are not being scanned, intercepted, or harvested for some nefarious purpose.
And the Policy wording also covers/allows for the sharing of your email with affiliates, which is purely Opt In/Opt Out, If and when you freely choose to give your email address during an install to receive newsletters and offers from affiliates.

So I'm just going to wait and see if I can get a more detailed response.

Later Bad

Is that all what you wrote, or is some of it quoted from the email/correspondence?

Offline J2897

• Comodo's Hero
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »
Maybe different EULA's for the different products would make some things clearer.

+1  :-TU

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
[at]Laser,

I wrote it all, no quotes from correspondence.

[at] Big Mike, J2897,

I think that each product does have it's own EULA, but they all refer to the overall single company policy regarding, protecting users information and data.
There really need be just one.
Unfortunately when reading all encompassing legalese, we try to insert whatever our specific concern is, into the apparently (to us)  vague general legal Cover Your Ass, wording and statements.
Which more unfortunately, for us once concerned about a specific issue, find it gives little solace in broad sweeping general "We've got you covered." statements.

As I wrote earlier, I am in contact with the legal dept. and I am presenting all of these concerns.
Hoping to deliver some more clarity. And who knows what may come of it.

Honestly, if the privacy policy provided specificity for every conceivable situation, it would become a virtually unreadable, extremely long text that nobody, not even the lawyers could properly decipher.
Me Thinks...

Bad
CIS    Firefox  NoScript  Please remember to follow The Forum Policy.

Offline jay2007tech

• Malware Research Group
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
Damm, you people make a big deal out of virtually nothing.

Depends on what "Files" do you mean.
Jeez people, what do you think it means.  They only care about the system files such as svchost.exe   

I've seen worst EULA then this(think of banks, credit cards, bills).  If you seriously think comodo is going to go through your personal stuff, then I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe you shouldn't be on the internet and put a tinfoil hat on
It's hard being a crooked Admin when the files won't pass an md5checksum test.  But like any other good crooked Admin it can be done, it just takes time(and lots of it) and a few aspirins

Offline arjunpa

• Comodo's Hero
  • Iam Cool
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 02:29:42 AM »
Even google collects some personal information from the user and no one discards chrome.
Core i5 750 [at] 2.66 GHz
MSI GD65 Motherboard
2 GB RAM
Sapphire HD 5770 1 GB

Offline AyeAyeCaptain

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 06:01:07 AM »
Even google collects some personal information from the user and no one discards chrome.

+1 Totally agree on that point raised, nicely done.
Film Scum Remake
Comodo: Where is your Tool
User: What Tool?
Comodo: This f****** Tool.
Protect Yourself With Comodo...... lol

Offline Saxuality

• Comodo's Hero
  • Saxy Mood ^_^
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/02/microsoft-cryptome/

Nuff said  :) There is no privacy on the net. And never will be.

I do! I almost hate Google now!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:49:13 AM by Saxuality »
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 - For Work
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit/No Security Software - Only For Games

"Sax-a-Go-Go"

Security software makers should be thankful for malware writers and hackers for their multi billion dollar businesses. Ironic isn't it?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek