Author Topic: CCAV Chrome extension and portable sandbox  (Read 5920 times)

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
Re: CCAV Chrome extension
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Hi Jon79,
I would imagine if you are using the browser to view/download your emails (Webmail) that it would sandbox any malicious attachments.
I don't think it would be possible if you are using another mail client such as Thunderbird for example.

I agree that it is strange that we haven't heard about this solution on the Forum.
Hope we find out more soon. ;)
BTW: I have made an edit to reply 11.

Kind regards.

Offline yigido

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • COMODO Rocks!
    • Free Comodo Products!
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »
It sounds a good virtualization solution for the browsers. We accepts the all kind of threats through browsers.. Think about it..
COMODO Cloud Antivirus
Firefox Quantum
Encrypt the web! Use HTTPS Everywhere..
Block spying ads and invisible trackers! Use Privacy Badger..

Offline Jon79

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
Yes, I also think like that, most of threats come from browser and e-mail.
If you are sure that your pc is clean, you could also just use CPSP and CCAV extension.
Like this you should not have any slow down at all

Offline Graham1

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
It's good to see Comodo are now developing extensions for their browser :-TU. This (I believe) will set Dragon apart from other browsers. I just wish Comodo developed one browser (which ever base is the most secure) and then develop further on that, adding security/privacy extensions rather than supporting the current three. Choice is a good thing, but better still, add the best features (security/privacy wise) of all into one browser. Do away with the versioning (trying to catch up with Chrome/Firefox) and use your own.

:)
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS | Chromium | uBlock Origin | Privacy Badger | HTTPS Everywhere
https://www.thevenusproject.com | Beyond Politics Poverty and War

Offline vitim

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 06:01:54 PM »
got some problems running this plugin with warsaw plugin (its an security plugin for the internet banking of caixa economica federal / brasil). unninstalled the comodo thing and all is good again.

I assume the plugin sandboxed the warsaw add-on without prompting any info and there is no way to "mark it as safe" so warsaw doesnt run and the browser stop working until it crashes.

anyway, a good solution on the way (for some time from now on, for sure, but its coming.. right? and thats nice)..

Offline Jon79

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 02:27:22 AM »
It's good to see Comodo are now developing extensions for their browser :-TU. This (I believe) will set Dragon apart from other browsers. I just wish Comodo developed one browser (which ever base is the most secure) and then develop further on that, adding security/privacy extensions rather than supporting the current three. Choice is a good thing, but better still, add the best features (security/privacy wise) of all into one browser. Do away with the versioning (trying to catch up with Chrome/Firefox) and use your own.

Well, actually the extension is not for Dragon or Chromodo only. It's available on Chrome Web Store, so it can be used in any Chrome-based browser.
As I said, it's an interesting point of view. Like this some users don't need a heavy security software installed on their PC, they can be fine with just some browser extensions that check downloads and run unknown file isolated

Offline Graham1

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 03:08:55 AM »
Well, actually the extension is not for Dragon or Chromodo only. It's available on Chrome Web Store, so it can be used in any Chrome-based browser.

Yes, that is true. As a Ubuntu user myself, any Comodo extensions are a welcome addition to Chromium.

As I said, it's an interesting point of view. Like this some users don't need a heavy security software installed on their PC, they can be fine with just some browser extensions that check downloads and run unknown file isolated

It's a good area to cover (security wise) as alot of malware comes via the browser but overall protection is still required.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS | Chromium | uBlock Origin | Privacy Badger | HTTPS Everywhere
https://www.thevenusproject.com | Beyond Politics Poverty and War

Offline Jon79

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 04:43:22 AM »
It's a good area to cover (security wise) as alot of malware comes via the browser but overall protection is still required.

Yes, that's true.
But maybe you can avoid the use of a real-time AV and just rely on:
  • CFW + HIPS + Auto-sandbox (which in my opinion is a very lightweight combo) for overall protection
  • CCAV extension to check downloads from internet (if you already have CIS auto-sandbox you don't need CPSP)
  • ublock origin extension for web filtering and adblock
  • An on-demand virus/malware scanner (such as Zemana Anti-malware free, HitmanPro and F‑Secure Online Scanner)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:01:48 AM by Jon79 »

Offline liosant

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Terra é circo onde nós somos palhaços...
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 09:34:10 AM »
Yes, that's true.
But maybe you can avoid the use of a real-time AV and just rely on:
  • CFW + HIPS + Auto-sandbox (which in my opinion is a very lightweight combo) for overall protection
  • CCAV extension to check downloads from internet (if you already have CIS auto-sandbox you don't need CPSP)
  • ublock origin extension for web filtering and adblock
  • An on-demand virus/malware scanner (such as Zemana Anti-malware free, HitmanPro and F‑Secure Online Scanner)

Extension comodo cloud antivirus, could improve the verification of scanned file extensions;
Could add the code checking capability in web pages, for example;
Could integrate the web inspector with the "CCAV pugin browser" and add an icon in the result links in research with the colors green for "trusted" Yellow "under review" and red "suspicious". This becomes greater security; (See pictures)
When used with the extension to Sandbox browser (assuming that the user does not have the CIS or CCAV installed on the PC), isolate downloaded files when opened by explorer.exe ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jon79

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
Yes, that would be a great addition :)
I have looked into Chrome Web Store, but I haven't found any extension which offers link scanner and download scanner.
For example, Avira offers link scanner and malicious website blocking, but not download scanner. Metadefender offers download scanner (even if limited to 25 files per day), but not link scanner.
Comodo could be the first one to offer this :)

Offline Jon79

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 05:29:01 AM »
OK, I made some tests on this extension.

If you install the extension only, it will check any file you download.
Probably there is a size limit, I downloaded a big file (>30Mb) and I didn't get any notification (it would be better to have a notification saying something like "the file size is too big to be scanned").
You get notification for safe files and for malicious files (I tested it with the EICAR test files and it detected and removed them), but you don't get any notification if the file is unknown (it would be better to have a notification as well, similar to the one you can see in the extension page on chrome web store).

If you install the sandbox too, you should have the option to specify which kind of file will be scanned (exe is the default), but it seems it doesn't work.
Plus, you don't get any notification about scan results, no matter if the file is safe, malicious or unknown.
CPSP is still in beta, so maybe it needs further improvements.

Offline dimamedved

Re: CCAV Chrome extension and portable sandbox
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »
it seems nobody will make an update for this  :(

what are the plans for such good tool? who should answer this?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek