COMODO Backup 4.3.5.2 Bug Reports

Please post all bug reports & BSOD’s here.
Be sure to include:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Other Backup & Security Software Installed;
  • How you produced the problem;
  • How you tried to resolve the problem;
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • if the issue is a BSOD, please post all the dump files in \Windows\Minidump folder (you can compress them)
  • if the issue is a crash, program stops responding or freezes please see this topic
  • if the issue is an error please run the dbgInfo.bat in installation folder as administrator and post the resulting cbu file.
  • Any other Additional Information that can help us find the cause of the problem (for example: any non-default settings used);

Comodo Backup will cause Windows 7 to lose its Genuine status due to an issue with a callback file system device driver.
This issue has remained for me since October of 2012. I had emailed your staff then, detailing my issue and it has remained unanswered. The problem also still persists.

I even wrote a blog about it here: http://www.intraipsum.se/blog/2012/10/21/microsoft-genuine-windows-7-activation-errors-and-unable-to-activate/

Steps to repeat process:
Install Comodo Backup.
Use/create/mount a backup. Mine is encrypted if that matters.
Within a week, the Windows 7 genuine validation error occurs. Windows will suddenly say it is not genuine.
I have a valid and legal copy of Windows.

How I figured out it was Comodo:
Called Microsoft several time, and spent hours on the phone trying to figure out why my system was doing this. I had not yet figured out it was Comodo.
Eventually gave up on Microsoft when they couldn’t figure it out. They confirmed my license is valid and usable.
Combed the entire internet looking for SOMETHING that could help explain this. It was absolutely maddening.
Discovered this thread on the Eldos forum: Error | Callback Technologies
They actually wrote a program fixing this issue. (Page 2 of 2 of the above thread)
I do not use Eldos for anything. I think perhaps that you do? Do you license with them for Comodo?

What next?
So I gave up on Comodo for over a year, then recently I decided I’d like to look through the encrypted backups and see if there was anything worth keeping. So I installed your latest version, thinking that this problem couldn’t possibly still be present. Someone else has had to have this issue and reported it. Nope. This most recent version does the exact same thing. After installing and using Comodo Backup, after a few days the problem presents itself again. This is also a more recent re-installation of Windows 7. Not the same as back in 2012.

How to repair the damage:
Uninstall Comodo Backup.
Reboot.
Run this fix as administrator: Error | Callback Technologies
Problem resolved.

My computer stats:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
Backup software I use now is Syncback Pro (Not currently installed. No conflict with Comodo.)
Security Software: Comodo Internet Security Premium & Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware

This exact problem happened to me yesterday after installing ComodoBackup (Version 4.3.6.6) for the first time ! >:(

The “not genuine” message came up after first reboot this morning. I will start resolution and investigate based upon above thread.

Thank you, intraipsum :-TU

My PC stats are similar to his/hers, except I don’t run Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware. Has been running for a long time w/o problems on Comodo Internet Security. Wanted to recommend a Backup solution to my brother … FAIL! … glad I checked it out before (not) passing along the recommendation. I would still like to use Comodo Backup … but not until I hear POSITIVELTY that the “not genuine” issue is resolved (it also slows down log-in by a lot).

As recommended above the steps solved my problem, although un-install of Comodo Backup really took several minutes despite my speedy CPU and SSD. Make sure to run everything in a System Admin account, and the EXE file (downloaded inside the ZIP) needs to additionally be executed with “Run as administrator”. Reboot after each step (un-install and fix).

And thanks from me, intraipsum - same problem with 4.3.6.6 and I was about to embark on a phone voyage with MS Tech when I remembered seeing a fragment of your post a while back. The fix you linked to in your blog worked effortlessly and after a very long day I’m now re-activated.
This does raise a question or two over CBU doesn’t it …

exzoner

And I am wondering if the symptoms reported under ("MOVED: After installing Comodo Backup (free) AutoCAD 2013 stopped working ") may be somewhat related … installation of CBU appears to be messing with some system files critical to the proper operation of other software … :frowning:

I’ve just wasted hours on this too >:-D Not what I needed when my wife has just come out of hospital after a cancer op.

2012 and not fixed ? Gee that’s ■■■■ even for programming standards in the UK…

Thankfully your fix worked (although initially avast stopped me running it with a file permission error).

:o salve io sono un italiano che ha voluto sfidare COMODO backup .io non parlo inglese ,potete immaginare i vari passaggi per arrivare fino a qui .sono 48 ore che lotto contro un blocco del mio account .48 ore signori di COMODO! io vi ho dato i mie dati paypal ,ho fatto tutti i passaggi per iscrivermi a cCloud comodo .mi è arrivata la conferma tramite e-mail dell’avvenuto pagamento ,ho scaricato COMODO backup e cCloud .poi è avvenuta una cosa … >:( mi avete bloccato tutto .nemmeno il supporto di comodo potevo usare la mia e-mail era WANTED ,bloccata ,out ,aus ,fuori !! ora grazie a papa francesco che mi ha fatto il miracolo sono riuscito a iscrivermi al forum.allora ora mi dite come posso riavere il mio account del cCloud ?

[attachment deleted by admin]