Author Topic: Why I'm Cutting Up My Credit Card  (Read 35208 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Why I'm Cutting Up My Credit Card
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »
Watch my video about why Why I'm Cutting Up My Credit Card

thanks

Melih

Offline Commanding The Celsius

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • ^^^^
Re: Why I'm Cutting Up My Credit Card
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »
 :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU

The best of your movies so far!!

I literary started laughing! And the effect of when you cut it is so nice! Damn malware! A personal question.. Has you experienced any infections your self since you started using CIS?  :) :)

I see you started using some music too, nice! Fits well with the video (watched it twice!)!  :comodorocks: (Melih rocks)  ;D EDIT:: watched it 3 times =) EDIT2: Iam nerdy and watched it 20 times.. =) (joking) ;P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:27:00 PM by Monkey_Boy=) »

Offline fazio93

• Comodo Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
Great videos. I'm subscribed and watching every one of them.  ;)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Please remember to follow the Forum Policy.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:51:20 PM »
:-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU

The best of your movies so far!!

I literary started laughing! And the effect of when you cut it is so nice! Damn malware! A personal question.. Has you experienced any infections your self since you started using CIS?  :) :)

I see you started using some music too, nice! Fits well with the video (watched it twice!)!  :comodorocks: (Melih rocks)  ;D EDIT:: watched it 3 times =) EDIT2: Iam nerdy and watched it 20 times.. =) (joking) ;P

Nope...

I have numerous machines and one with no security at all (for many reasons). The biggest infection that machine suffers from is drive by downloads... once i was reading news from a site and it got infected cos one of the servers serving the banner was infected..

I built CIS for this very reason of prevention.. I was sick of getting infected and I felt totally at their mercy.. no more!!

Melih

Offline Carls2

• Comodo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »
Watch my video about why

Any chance to get a text version or summary for the download-challenged?

Offline Tesk

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo Loves me
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
I would like to get an email everytime you have made a new video, Melih. If usually watch them if I find them.

Offline Jacob

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:26:39 PM »

Transcript:
(Cutting Up His Credit Card)
My credit card, cut it off
(End Of Cutting)
Why? Somewhere, Someone didn't prevent malware from entering their systems
Which caused millions people like me, to have to cut their cards, Is it a inconvience? Yes
Is it a such a great importance of inconvience? Not necceseraily, Two three days you don't have your credit cards, big deal but look at the cost, hundreds of millions of dollars, of cost of one incident
Just because someone did not prevent malware entering their system, Compromising well over 150 finiancial insitutions; customers data.
It's a wake up call, We can no longer rely the current flawed security module of protecting your self based on detection technology.
Detection only works if you know what you are looking for and guess what, A new Virus is a new Virus, It's not going to be in your list, You're not going to know about it.
It's time to bring defualt-deny, defualt-deny! should be your first line of defense, It's time to bring defualt-deny systems to prevent malware in the first place.

(End)
Thanks....Jake

Please Follow The Forum Rules!

Offline puddingpants

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »
once i was reading news from a site and it got infected cos one of the servers serving the banner was infected..
Firefox, the NoScript extension for Firefox and the AdBlock Plus extension for Firefox, all kept current, and completely avoid using IE ever again.

That should pretty much completely eliminate this sort of problem.  Firefox has few open security holes, NoScript blocks ALL active content of all kinds (Javascript, Java, Flash, Silverlight, EVERYTHING) except for websites you choose to temporarily or permanently allow ("default-deny" whitelist-based, rather like CIS itself) and it contains many other highly-advanced browser-exploit countermeasures too (XSS, ABE, ClearClick protections, etc.), and AdBlock Plus is magnificently effective at blocking 99%+ of all ads everywhere (both malicious and ordinary).

Using this browser with those two extensions (and with Windows updates kept current) will prevent almost all browser-related infections.

Then you ought to have CIS too, for another layer (actually several more layers!) of protection in case anything ever does get through. :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:27:19 PM by puddingpants »

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »
Firefox, the NoScript extension for Firefox and the AdBlock Plus extension for Firefox, all kept current, and completely avoid using IE ever again.
Totally unnecessary, I will continue using IE8 with popups being the only things being blocked and CIS to protect me from what might get past the security now built into IE. I will also continue to feel totally secure by doing so. Melih said he had NO security on that machine. Just a good AV would have probably caught most of the infections.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline Michael Withstand

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 03:26:12 AM »
Melih and his zeal for internet security   88). You Sir have a great product with CIS.

I wish you the best and may your first Ferrari be coming soon to your garage  :D
First they tried to kill u, then they flagged false mental illness then they persecute u, then they cheated everything u do, then they blame u for fighting back.

My blog: http://exposingsingapore.wordpress.com

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
very kind, thank you :)

Melih

Offline Dexter00023

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
Hi. First of all i am a new user of CIS, since 2009. But i am so so so so so so so so Haaaaaaaaapy with CIS that i begun installing in all 4 computers at home and all my friends one as well.  Congrats Melih and wish you the best as well.

And yes i've watched your video.

Keep it real..

Thumbs up. . .

Offline SVinto

• Comodo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »
Watch my video about why Why I'm Cutting Up My Credit Card

thanks

Melih

It's true, one of the most secure ways in protecting our own lives would be to do like this with our cards.
We know how easy it is to become robed when we use these credit or bankcards for payment transactions.
How many has not been victims for this even in real life when we put our card in a machine by our own hands.
It happens everywhere e.g when pick up real money on the bank, visit a gasstation, paying for something we bought in a store somewhere. These manipulations has been well known in many years.

For the moment we got something new that they tell will give us better protection, a micro chip instead of this magnet-stripe back of the card. Ok, that might prevent some of the older tricks.
My own opinion is that this solution will only "move" this problem one step ahead of us.
Where did they move the solution?  Ofcourse internet where should it be otherwise ;D

And what tells the common sense about everything that occurs at internet?
Can it ever be a safe place for human kind? Unfortunately the answer will be No as long we keep up using money and the capitalistic idea as economical engine in our lives.

So why does everyone still keep on to this idea?
It has almost as strong importance for us as religions are for us, something we can not leave.
We used this in many thousand of years. So can we learn to leave it and walk on to something else?
I think Comodo have shown us one good example in what can be done in many different kind of business both online and in real life in change all this to something which both can help people and in the same time make our lives more easy and secure as well.  BY using and showing the Good Will and provide people with free products.

I am very impressed of this fact as it shows us a new direction in where it's right to go next.
Thanks

Edit:

One more thing has a quite big heavy importance...

There is a lot of people that makes the mistake by Compare this risk in become robed online together with what kind of Security system they having installed on the computer.

How many of you believes that this has importance if you will be robed or not when paying with your creditcard online?

It can never protect for insider crimes from someone that working on the webpage you visit and there you using your creditcard nor for criminal abuse with intentions to scam their customers.
Also these servers can become hacked and abused from people that want to steal your data in purpose for reach your bankaccount to steal money. This happened myself one time and there was nothing I could done in prevent it from happen more than the only mistake I did by signing up for having a bankcard for make payments with connected to my own account.

Just want to explain this as there is situations were no single AV or antimalware product can save you from troubles in become robed because it doesn't have anything to do with your own computer. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:06:20 AM by SVinto »

Offline brucine

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
In most european countries (and at least in France), the credit cards have a chip.

American ones probably do not have any for business reasons (the chip system was patented many years ago by a french guy, he is now a very rich man).

The banks have to refund you as soon as you declare the card to be stolen, partially or even totally if your subscribe a specific insurance in your bank (not very expensive,).

In most situations, the one to get robbed is therefore not the customer, but the salesman.

The physical situation leads you, in a physical shop or a cash distributor, to enter your private code.
The risk is very limited if you card is not stolen (and if you don't, like a lot of stupid people, write your code near your card).
Nevertheless, some physical frauds have been observed: the simplest one is the guy watching you typing your code and then stealing your card; more sophisticated, the "collet marseillais" (a false bag retains your card in the distributor, while a camera or a guy registers the typing) or, in some very exceptionnal situations, devices connected to its terminal by the "salesman" himself (hmm...) and providing listings of card numbers sent by internet to mafious organizations.
But there, we are leaving physical fraud, where only the bank and salesman are robbed.

Internet is another question.
You don't type your private codes, but only your card number and the pin code.
There's of course nothing to do against keyloggers but to protect yourself.
You have to check when buying something from internet if there also is a physical shop, check for its existence and location, and check if the transaction is secured.
In these conditions, it is exceptionnal to have a fraud and again, if there was one, either the bank or the hacked website would have to pay for the damage.

But of course, banks become tired of refunding the customers altough, opposite to a frequent belief, internet fraud is not statistically higher than physical fraud.
For this reason, some of them provided some years ago specific boxes to connect to your computer and securing the transaction (without the keyboard..).
One of my 2 banks has on its banking site an anti-keylogging device (you enter your code in a random number mask changing at every connexion).

Today's trend is to provide the customer with a bank certificate.
Last month, i was not able to buy a laundry cleaner from a middle size enterprise by merely entering my code: as soon as it was interpreted as coming from my bank, i was redirected to this bank site, where i had to subscribe a "e-certificate" needing a password and a keyword to remember it.
However, and as far as i remember, i only entered the card code when buying in the same period from a very large corporation (Air France).

Progress have still to be made but, at least in France, credit card usage is more and more secure.
And largely more then bank checks (is it the correct english word?), due to stolen checks, closed accounts, not enough money...: for this reason, every salesman accepts your credit card in the Paris region or in most gas stations, but no one any check.

Offline swordman64

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
[size=15] I decided along time ago to cut my credit cards.  I was a great paying customer.

I never racked up much debt.  I always paid my bills.  When my credit card banks started

charging too much interest, that was  the last straw for me.  They would call me up &

give me a hard time because  I would pay off my credit card before they had much of a chance

to make interest off of me.  Then I went a while with not using them, then they really fumed

at me over that.  They asked me why I even had a credit card.  After much hassle from them,

I decided to hang them at high noon !!!!  [/size]   >:( >:(

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek