Thank you Symantec, for admitting traditional antivirus cannot protect you.

I called the Antivirus Industry Fraud, I called them to own up, and 4 years later, they did!

http://www.melih.com/2014/05/10/thank-you-symantec-for-admitting-traditional-antivirus-cannot-protect-you/

Melih

Antivirus on its own really does seem ineffective. Glad to see that Symantec has finally admitted this.

Why is it fraud if it protects you against the known things? Actually antivirus can protect you. But its not effective against new things, and it hunts probably old ghosts. Like your 220 mb antivirus database.
While, like i said before, your approach does protect only if any wished file is able to run. If its not running in your security environment, and the user wants to let it run, he gets infected by using it outside.
A virus just has to be convincing to let the user think the security function of comodo is blocking
something legit.

The only thing that comodo provides on top of that is, the realtime transmission. Like the other avs also do.

I would never have bought antivirus from symantec. Just saying.

The fraud is in falling short because of the rise of the sheer number of malware and stating you will be protected. The chances of infection were rising. Keep in mind that a trojan will upload precious data usually in the first two minutes after infection. Then for thorough cleaning you had to buy an extra prescription (I don’t know if that is still the case).

While, like i said before, your approach does protect only if any wished file is able to run. If its not running in your security environment, and the user wants to let it run, he gets infected by using it outside. A virus just has to be convincing to let the user think the security function of comodo is blocking something legit.
The user is a well known weak spot in securing a computer. :-\

That can be mitigated easily to never click on links in emails that state they are from your bank or ISP and require you to log in; when persuaded to log in use your bookmark for that login.

Also like you would tell your children about the real world; don’t take candy and sweets from a stranger.

The only thing that comodo provides on top of that is, the realtime transmission. Like the other avs also do.

I would never have bought antivirus from symantec. Just saying.

What is realtime transmission? ???

Eugene Kaspersky lashes out at Symantec’s ‘anti-virus is dead’ remark
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2343477/eugene-kaspersky-lashes-out-at-symantec-s-anti-virus-is-dead-remark

Because Antivirus industry doesnt say it will only protect you from known malware`. Contrary to that, they make big claims, please read my blog to see the full picture.

Melih

Remember all known malware was at one point unknown, that’s where the fraud really comes in, that if you look at every piece of malware as being unknown as a whole ignoring the time line you start to realise how vulnerable we really are by just using an anti virus to protect our systems, in that view we see that the truth is our systems are virtually wide open to these attacks and infection without taking other steps like surfing safely, only using safe sites, blocking adverts, using HIPS and Sandboxes. What people need to realise its not the known malware that is the real threat as its job is done and over with, the malware author moves on with a new piece of malware to target with, all malware has limited life span and they know this, know that sooner or later it will be detected and added to definition files, so there goal is to fire off disposable malware that is designed to do its job for only a short time before being replaced with the next one fast as possible, anti viruses can never protect us against the modern threats and the ever changing malware landscape, this is not the 1990’s any more and the landscape has changed forever.

It used to be we go a year or so without updating our anti virus software, often longer, malware wasn’t that common and wasn’t created with such numbers as we are seeing today, anti viruses had a much easier and relaxed job, wasn’t that difficult to deal with any malware that came along, what has made it virtually impossible for them to keep up with malware today is two simple things, computers today are much more powerful, have faster processors, more memory, large and easy accessible storage and to compound this hardware nightmare is this is all connected to the internet which allows malware easy access to this hardware, gone are the days of isolated 8 bit and 16 bit computers that had tape or floppy drives with write protect tabs, our hard drives allow anything and everything to be stored without worry of a write protect tab blocking the data being written, but that’s where CIS comes in with its HIPS, Behaviour Blocker or Sandbox, helps to some degree bring back the ‘write protect tab’ and help protect our systems from infections that try to invade our storage devices.

We have gone from human eyes inspecting punchcards for malware to anti virus software, and now we have much more sophisticated protection that can work without knowing or trying to know malware, but we are in the early days of these newer and much more modern approaches to protection and prevention that they don’t work as well as they one day will, maybe by the time CIS v15 comes out we all be asking if the Comodo anti virus could be removed from CIS, guess time will tell and I hope one day it can be and probably should be removed ;D

AimeeLW just want to say thank you for posting this reply! Because I learned so much from it that I didn’t know and I actually wondered how Comodo Antivirus and CIS worked. Honestly, thank you! :slight_smile: I love CIS!! and everything about how it protects my computers! Go Comodo protection!

Hi flywelder, thank you for your wonderful reply, is often difficult for people to help themselves as this requires learning and getting accurate information to do that. not everyone is an Einstein when it comes to computers, thankfully Comodo Internet Security is becoming more and more easier to use, with reduced pop ups and stronger protection, so even those that are computer illiterate can still protect themselves against new emerging threats without having to be a geek or nerd. Comodo has done a great and amazing job over the years on improving the strength and ease of use of CIS, it can only get better and will continue giving malware authors nightmares for the foreseeable future ;D

What i disable at first. Upload of unknown files.

There is a point that is discussable, for example that paid antivirus is tending to be surrounded by “ZOMG new threats, buy now!” reports. That is a big suspicious spot.
But when i speak about antivirus, i speak about the function.
Without this function, a basic layer is missing.
It decreases the likeliness of getting an infected file on your computer. One of the KNOWN and AVAILABLE codes for all kind of criminals. These (95)% of malware is a good start to avoid at all.

The other (5)% on a daily basis is
a) added to the base later
b) in the wild for short
c) avoidable by reasonable security and carefullness

So, if you do it right, you have

1. benefit of antivirus function
  2. no infection
  3. a very small likeliness of having malware on your computer over time (saved files, as we avoid infections)

The point is, antivirus is as good as before. But the advertised status is (rightfully) changed.
You cant call antivirus fraud. Because its a function.
Advertising can be misleading.

To me , Symantec saying this is like stating an already known fact. They have been employing more than signature based detection for many years. In fact, I don’t know of a single security products vendor that doesn’t. Even MSE or the new Defender employ more than just signature detection of known malware. They all have ways of trying to protect against new threats, Of course, some are more successful than others.

The “traditional” antivirus is extinct and has been for quite a while.

http://malwaretips.com/threads/tiranium-antivirus-is-dying-and-need-your-help.24577/

Tiranium has a great potential…maybe Comodo can do something about it?
:wink:

Potential? This is security industry, which cost millions of dollar not a charity. I rather Comodo use their funds to further improve their already reliable products, rather than ■■■■ it on some random third-party program. Beside “potential” these day is such an overthrown cliche. Every random, niche products seems easily to be labeled as having big potential.

I agree. Comodo doesn’t need to do this. They should concentrate on improving what we have, not bailing out or even acquiring a competitor.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/comodo-antivirus-how-good-is-it-really.364064/#post-2374704

I would still go with avast or qihoo…Avira is still kind of developing stuff.It isnt reliable right now.COMODO as usual and just as predicted earlier on by me were about to go downhill.Hopefully,Mellih and his fanboys dont get mad about this and learn a bitter lesson. Rather spend time on their AV rather than mellih’s stupid hair gell LOL.

Its no more COMODO with those big hypes of Cloud and DACS and stuff.Now its full of bypasses and it is FLOPMODO!! Sorry Fanboys.

• true indian,

[/size]
[/size]Meanwhile, this indian guy sounds as bad as those “fanboys” he referred to. Not sure why Comodo has a bad reputation at WS. Not that it matter anyway, because that place is a joke. “What’s your security setup” thread sums everything you should know about their user base.[size=78%]

Let’s not comment on inflammatory comments in other houses like we don’t comment them in our own house…

" The Death OR the Homeland, We’ll Defeat ! "

Hello EricJH :wink:

i never used hair gel :slight_smile:

this poor guy must be a symantec fanboy…:)…i admire his loyalty though, blind and misled, he is still a great symantec fanboy…i guess he has to find a forum where people dont get security so that he can say the ■■■■ he is saying. he wouldnt last a minute in a serious security forum where people understand security, hence he is not coming to our forums to talk about real security issues :wink:

He actually is an Avast user. I’ve seen him many times on their forums where he almost got himself banned. What his axe to grind against Comodo is I have no idea.

I totally agree about Wilder’s being a joke. To me it’s the home of paranoia. I think that trying to follow all their recommendations is a recipe for disaster and leaves some people with crippled computers or even worse, unusable ones.

Gentlemen I suggest we refrain from discussing apparent inflammatory comments with the neighbours.