Author Topic: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....  (Read 205824 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »
Hi there

I think that the protection software should be always free for non-commercial users.

Melih-You and other guys from Comodo are doing great job.

Let's together make the world better...

Best regards

Thank you sebatbg.

You see some people say, we have to charge for security for consumers cos we have to eat. Well of course we all have to eat :)... of course we should all make money. But the assumption of : "the only way to make money while securing consumers is to directly charge them" is too 80s..is outdated...is yesterday...

Responsible people should make as much money as possible because they will do responsible things with it. As long as a company follows a responsible business model then they should make as much money as possible as they will do responsible things with it. The only way to provide security to end users is to give it for free. Making it a luxury only few can afford or charge them 50% or more of the total cost the PC just to secure them (over the lifetime of the PC) is NOT the way to secure them as only few can afford. So a new business model is required.. A business model where consumers can have access to top notch security for free.

That is what Comodo brings to table. A business model where consumers have access to top notch security for free, while still Comodo makes money from online businesses and enterprises as well as providing other additional services to its users if they need them. This is the business model that we all need to have a secure computing platform!

Charging a lot of money for Anti Virus products that doesn't detect the latest viruses and allowing them to infect us does not work anymore!

Thank you for your support! Please spread the good word, COMODO is here to secure you for FREE!

Melih

Offline Fransb

• Comodo Member
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
No offence but i think Symantec is better then Comodo,

CAV is bad without Defense +

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/f68362c873adbee8cab34becc12edb680522891877a7608650dd966edf7b3324-1246170287

The response of comodo isnt too good.

Avast and Avira are good Free AV :) .

Comodo has a great Firewall

but that is my opinion.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »
Better at what?

Protecting you from malware

or

Detecting malware?

Two very different things!

Here is a question: How many Symantec users were infected by Confiker?
and here is another question: How many Comodo users were infected by Confiker?

(you can check the forums for that)...

You will see that protecting users require a new technology... Prevention based technology...not the 1980's detection based technology!

Once you answer yourself as to whats more important to you (Protecting you or Detecting malware) will realise who can protect you better ;) Because you don't need to detect to Prevent! ;)

Melih

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »
The only problem that I have the the protection that D+ offers is that it is very user dependent. Yes it can protect you but if you don't get a threatcast popup, as in it's a zero-day malware most people (99%) of them will not know what to do and allow it. If I popped my dad in front of the computer he would have no idea how to respond to the pop-ups and would allow them all thinking that it is all normal.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
The only problem that I have the the protection that D+ offers is that it is very user dependent. Yes it can protect you but if you don't get a threatcast popup, as in it's a zero-day malware most people (99%) of them will not know what to do and allow it. If I popped my dad in front of the computer he would have no idea how to respond to the pop-ups and would allow them all thinking that it is all normal.

I totally agree. As I have said before, CIS provides top notch protection but is not suitable for the masses yet. I would recommend Symantec over Comodo to novice users. (If they were willing to pay for it)
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:20 PM »
remember if security software just like in anything else has to depend on a human making decisions, it will fail. Humans will introduce too many variables and we are not beings that think with reason. Comodo needs to be made into a program that almost takes everything out of the hands of the user. No pop ups or anything. The only time it should make a sound is when something bad is happening and even then it should just tell you it blocked something, not ask you to make a decision.

EDIT: the best way to do this in my opinion is to use something that comodo already has. It should use threatcast ratings to automatically make the decision for you. So if let's say 70% and above have allowed this action it should automatically allow it without making any noise. But if lots have denied this action it should block it. It is a very simple solution and it would make the program tons more usable.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:45:47 PM by languy99 »

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »
I would not rely strictly on threatcast because just as there are novices that will allow something they should block, there are also the paranoid who will do exactly the opposite. In my threatcast ratings I see people blocking a lot of harmless things.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:57:03 PM by Dch48 »
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 02:01:04 PM »
Well it would have to show a trend of a couple of hundred of users. Not the first one I know but after a few thousand users have clicked allow or deny it should show a fairly accurate portrait of how safe or unsafe the file it.

Toggie

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
It would be useful if Threatcast had a rating system, other that just user input, which is notoriously unreliable. There are lots of 'alert' sites out there, maybe it could pull data from them...

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
it really does not matter how they do it but something that works like that would easily make comodo the most user friendly and secure HIPS/Firewall out there.

Offline Endymion

• Comodo's Hero
  • Reality is subordinate to perception.
    • Faces -The Madman (Kahlil Gibran, 1918)
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
I guess it is still uncertain if those who install many new unknown application on a weekly basis are average users  whenever their habits could likely make them vulnerable to infections.

Though I wonder how advanced have to be those CIS users who ATM leverage on the color-coded severity level of alerts or if there would be someone who will fail to notice when alerts explicitly mention malware.

Hopefully the masses will know at least how to update their systems (including the AV) because it would not be possible to lower the baseline further...

Not sure what they would supposed to do with scam and phishing attempts either but hopefully with the increase of computational power and progress in Artificial Intelligence they could have their PC address such threats, and before long also delegate all sorts of tasks to their PC until they wouldn't have to take the effort to decide either.

Indeed in years to come it is likely there would be no need for driving licenses too as unmanned cars will handle from route planning to refueling operations, carrying passengers around...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:27:53 PM by Endymion »
I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Offline Saxuality

• Comodo's Hero
  • Saxy Mood ^_^
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Symantec is really crapping there pants IMO. I think they ordered a lot of reviews of Norton 2010 BETA and now internet magazines are littered with Nortons "awesomness"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:47:45 PM by Cocktail »
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 - For Work
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit/No Security Software - Only For Games

"Sax-a-Go-Go"

Security software makers should be thankful for malware writers and hackers for their multi billion dollar businesses. Ironic isn't it?

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »
Norton IS awesome and because of my recent experiences with the overly aggressive D+ component of CIS, I am seriously considering going back to Norton. The only acceptable setting for D+ is Clean PC. I just lost a DVD I was attempting to make because D+ on safe mode popped up an alert about DVD Flick starting up one of it's components and I wasn't at the machine so the authoring process was shut down and aborted. This is not good behavior by CIS. On Clean PC it probably would not have done that. Don't tell me what configurations will work either. The point is, I shouldn't have to do anything to make a known safe program work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:49:47 PM by Dch48 »
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
which is why my idea is really the only way to go with if comodo really wants to become top dog. They will never achieve that if they can't make is super user friendly. Melih can say that he wants to provide security for everyone but as I see it now comodo will never do that unless something is done to implement something along "cloud decisions" as I like to call it. And no, a white list is not the same because there are tons of programs that will never be on the white list that are still perfectly safe.

Hey Melih maybe you can give me a response to my idea and talk with the development team about how something like this could be implemented. All of the things are there, you just have to have comodo check the servers for a rating. I think it could be done without have to do tons of hard work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:06:06 PM by languy99 »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
which is why my idea is really the only way to go with if comodo really wants to become top dog. They will never achieve that if they can't make is super user friendly. Melih can say that he wants to provide security for everyone but as I see it now comodo will never do that unless something is done to implement something along "cloud decisions" as I like to call it. And no, a white list is not the same because there are tons of programs that will never be on the white list that are still perfectly safe.

Hey Melih maybe you can give me a response to my idea and talk with the development team about how something like this could be implemented. All of the things are there, you just have to have comodo check the servers for a rating. I think it could be done without have to do tons of hard work.

That's an idea we had for sometime tbh.

But just wait for v4 and see how usable it will be.. we have good surprises ;)

V4 will be the beginning of the end of consumers paying for security!

Melih

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek