Author Topic: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....  (Read 208175 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »
and the new kaspersky firewall actually bested comodo. http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php I hope that when they test 3.10 it will once again be in the top two.

Thanks for that. Kaspersky has got the same score as us but I don't care about these.. I am glad everyone is improving their security level, its the end user thats the winner. Also as I always said, its important to be practical and do not pass these tests for the sake of it. Otherwise you are writing much code for no practical threat. This could cause instability and issues for the end users so its not worth it. (Also we are not paying Matousec for a retest so what they have tested is an old version vs everyone else's new version :) ) (still we do very well ;) )

thanks
Melih
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 07:10:43 PM by Melih »

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
3.8 is still the best of the free solutions so I would expect 3.10 to rate higher.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 07:14:49 PM »
I shouldn't have said bested but if you saw where they were before they have improved tons. I'm actually amazed on how much they have moved up.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
I shouldn't have said bested but if you saw where they were before they have improved tons. I'm actually amazed on how much they have moved up.

Indeed and welldone to them. I hope everyone will continue to improve, this will help the internet ecosystem and create a more trusted internet that we will all use.

Melih

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
kaspersky really seems to be getting into the right act; good firewall, sandbox, gaming mode, identity theft protection and even a plug in that mimics WOT. My only problem with kaspersky has been the price, but I guess since they have become so big they basically charge what they want.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline jay2007tech

• Malware Research Group
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 11:18:23 PM »
kaspersky really seems to be getting into the right act
For me, screw kaspersky and their price.  I have read that kaspersky is getting bloated, I haven't tried it personaly.  Only until Now kaspersky deciced to plug the those leaks in the test.  Comodo had those fixed a long time ago  Comodo has always been in the top 5 ranking(firewall leaktests) for the www.matousec.com test (version 3, not 2.4).  Only until now kaspersky has finally caught up

Comodo's firewall is top notch and so is it's hips.  and the anti-virus detection has already beaten (some of the name brands) AVG and MCAGEE(something like that). (It's already beat AVG and they been around for many years. And comodo is just getting started, they haven't even introduced their heuristics for this and among other things for it YET.  

Why pay a lot of $$$$$ for a product when you have a free top notch firewall and hips???.  The only thing your paying for is a lot of money just to increase the anti-virus detection rate by 1-2%!!!!!!!!. kaspersky hasn't been build for lightweight performance(important if your into gaming) in mind.  Although comodo doesn't have a game mode either.

Here, you get good forum help and you can even PM the ceo of the company.  What more can you ask for.   If you still need something else like a bandwith meter and stuff, go to download.com to fill in the missing gaps

Give it a year and kaspersky is going to get spanked,  yeah that's right, spanked

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:25:04 PM by jay2007tech »
It's hard being a crooked Admin when the files won't pass an md5checksum test.  But like any other good crooked Admin it can be done, it just takes time(and lots of it) and a few aspirins

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
It sounds like a pirate slogan and it is missing a arrr matey at the end.

lol

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 11:49:17 PM »
I think they mean free _standalone_ AV. And the main goal of that words is to ensure users to use protection suites instead of standalone AV's. Well, of course they offer their own _paid_ solution, that is natural.

I think if they meant standalone, they would have said standalone. Free is a very odd choice of words if they meant standalone. Not to mention that they mention "more mature paid suites" in the same sentence. Nobody (with the exception of you apparently, no offense intended...) is going to infer that "free" means anything other than something you don't have to pay for, in that context...

I used to be a Symantec fan back when they were pretty much the game in town. It didn't take me long to become disillusioned with the continuing licensing and AV update fees.

The straw that broke the camels back for me though was when it stopped letting me update. Email to tech support suggested that something had become corrupted and I should try a clean uninstall, then reinstall and described exactly how to do it. Following the instructions to the letter, I was a bit surprised when it wouldn't let me reinstall it because parts of it were still there. Ummm... So what does clean uninstall mean to you guys? ???

After doing a bit of research on the internet and finding that even Symantecs own methods still leave bits and pieces of it all over the system, I hunted down every last lingering piece of what If I remember correctly, was System Works 2000 and promptly went with another product...  88)

Sure, they may have changed some in 9 years, but I doubt it.

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
Systemworks 2000 was the first Norton product I ever used and I loved it. It was the one that got me into my 10 year stay with their products. Who cares if a few "bits and pieces" get left behind by uninstalling things? Most software, including Comodo, does the same thing. As long as it does no harm being there, big deal.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
I would agree that bits and pieces that harm nothing aren't a big deal. However, when these bits and pieces are keeping me from reinstalling the software then there is a problem. Tech supports answer was to reformat my system... That was what made me look on the internet for more info. I couldn't believe such drastic measures were necessary as the only problems I was having was with System Works 2000. Turns out there was nothing wrong with my OS other than the fact that I had installed System Works 2000 on it...  88)

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »
Fair enough. After I made my post , I remembered that I never did uninstall Systemworks 2000 on my older computer. I simply bought a new machine with XP and Norton Internet Security pre-installed. I will say though with certainty that the Norton products since 2007 have done a very good job of uninstallation. I even was able to upgrade 2007 on this machine to 2008 and then a year later to 2009 without even uninstalling the previous version first. The upgrades were free too, they were included in the yearly subscription price. I would still be using Norton Internet Security if I wouldn't have been in dire financial straits when the time came to renew my subscription. I decided to try CIS instead and so far, I have seen no reason to return to Norton. I do miss the seamless no interaction required operation of Norton at times but Comodo seems to be commited to moving more in that direction and the more it gets that way, the happier I will be. Saving 50 bucks a year isn't bad either.  ;D
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline harmony

• Creating a Trusted Internet
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 04:18:55 AM »
  Touche' !  apt Riposte.

Offline Anathaen

• Ubuntu Lover
  • Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
Word up m8.
Download Linux Mint | Linux Mint is a Ubuntu derivative, only stable :)

Something no anti-virus company will fight.

3xist

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
Symantec are being hurt by the free security that is out there today. These guys are being threatened by outstanding security products from any vendor (Since they mention AV more, I will say the following take alot of market share from Symantec):
Avast! Antivirus FREE
Avira Antivirus FREE
AVG Antivirus FREE

And let's not forget... Microsoft Security Essentials is in beta and will be released later in the year, The amount of people who will be using it will be HUGE, And won't think twice paying for security! Now, Talking about "full paid security suites" How they mention Free Antivirus can't keep up with full-paid suites, We do have Security Suite, only difference is that it's free and provides world-leading protection where prevention comes first (COMODO Internet Security).

Symnatec are hurt by the Free AV's taking Market Share from them, Including CIS doing even more damage, and wait till Microsoft Security Essentials is out. And and as soon as Comodo's AV component is one of the best in detection, it will cause further damage to Symnatec, Along with the other COMODO free products.

Cheers,
Josh

Offline sebatbg

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo Member
  • Heartbreaker
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
Hi there

I think that the protection software should be always free for non-commercial users.

Melih-You and other guys from Comodo are doing great job.

Let's together make the world better...

Best regards
Best regards, sebatbg
Pozdrawiam, sebatbg

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek