Author Topic: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....  (Read 206905 times)

Online Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....

let me know what you think pls..
thanks
Melih

Offline OmeletGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Dragon Theme Maker
Re: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »
Symantec the system hogger you are.

They just say that because of Microsofts Security Essentals came out and its free like CIS.

“free antivirus software isn’t able to keep up with full-price suites like those offered by Symantec.”
LOL what a joke,

CIS is very well keeping up, so is avast, avira and so on, there all beating Norton and there all free!!!!. Also now a days it tend to be the other way around, just look at Norton, McAfee and a cuple more, You have to pay and they do worse in tests then avast, Avira, CIS, and other free products.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:47:02 PM by OmeletGuy »
System Details: W8.1-64bit | 16GB DDR3 | Intel Core I7-4710MQ[at]2.5Ghz to 3.5Ghz | CIS 8.2 | Geforce 840M

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
I am a Symantec fan and always have been. I used their products for 10 years and never had a single problem. To me, the "system hogging" is a myth because I never experienced it. Symantec is an extremely good product but, I agree with you Melih that CIS is just as good (better in some respects) and getting even better and proves that you do not have to pay any more for top notch protection.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »
I personally think that every security company that makes users pay for AV is crapping their pants since MSE came out, if MS keeps it free they will suffer badly. In my testing it has amazed me in detection rates and how fast MS is at addressing new malware. Yes it still has some things that need fixing (removal engine takes forever) but hell, it is only a beta and it's wailing on everyone. I also like how MS keeps on contact with you about malware submissions. First you get an e-mail stating they received it, next you get one showing you that it's malware and will be added to the signatures and lastly you get an e-mail stating that it was added and even what it's called. Personally that is top notch in my book.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
MSE sounds very good and I agree that it is the reason for paid solutions being concerned. When it becomes a final release I may suggest to my ladyfriend that she replace Norton with it to save money. I personally will stick with CIS but she would have problems with D+ and would not like it. MSE plus the windows firewall would probably be good for her.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »
funny thing is, I think MSE uses family signatures with some normal signatures and gen signatures sprinkled about. The signature DB for the latest update for MSE 1.61.979.0 (7/4/2009 1:45am) is only 32Mb yet detection is unbelievable. That is where comodo has to go in my opinion for the av to be considered top notch.

Offline Graham1

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »
Paid or free, it doesn't matter. It depends on the programmer(s)/developer(s) working on the product and their vision. Personally, I prefer free software (who doesn't) but mainly in a Linux environment. Within Windows, you either pay for more features, free are usually limited in some way but Comodo offers the best of both worlds (full features AND free), a winning combination.

Symantec, McAfee and Kaspersky should be worried about CIS. The advantages of these are that they are on the shelves of stores or preloaded on new computers. CIS wins the price war but (I feel) needs to compete (advertise) more.

:)
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (x64) | Chromium | uBlock Origin | Privacy Badger | HTTPS Everywhere
Windows 7 Pro (x64) | Comodo Cloud Antivirus | Comodo Dragon

https://www.thevenusproject.com | Beyond Politics Poverty and War

Offline Kyle

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
Free or paid, Doesn't matter. "It is what it is" 
Windows 7 x64
AMD FX 8120, 8gb ram, ATI 6870 1gb

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »
It matters to the extent that Symantec is saying that all free versions are inherently inferior to paid ones, which clearly is not the case any more.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 05:24:47 AM »
The only thing that matters is how much programming efforts and financial support a vendor puts in an AV. It doesn't matter whether the financial support comes from users directly (as in paid AV) or from users indirectly (as in CIS users doing online business with companies buying certificates from Comodo).

Such claims from Symantec is, in my opinion, nothing but a sad joke. They clearly don't understand that there are other possible business models, or - maybe more likely - they are desperate to fight competitors like Comodo, who takes market shares from Symantec.

Melih, gradually and eventually (although you have already come far) you will prove Symantec to be wrong. ;)

Offline #535

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
“That’s why free antivirus is not enough: you need in-depth layered technologies, which only come from the more mature paid suites.”
I think they mean free _standalone_ AV. And the main goal of that words is to ensure users to use protection suites instead of standalone AV's. Well, of course they offer their own _paid_ solution, that is natural.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:56:07 AM by #535 »
Cheers,

Offline mjlk

• Comodo Loves me
  • Ubuntu 12.04 Business Remix
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
When necessary Microsoft can provide a new security update for Windows Vista ,XP ...
They can also update Microsoft Security Essentials if they want.

If they update Windows Vista or XP when they should update Microsoft Security Essentials ,
then they will make life easy for themselves but difficult for Comodo , Symantec ...

Will it be fair play  :P

Online Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 06:36:22 PM »
Symantec is just a sweeper and Comodo is a guardian and a keeper.

Very nicely put...thank you!

Melih

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »
That's actually not true. The Symantec firewall is very good and works much more seamlessly without any input from the user.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
and the new kaspersky firewall actually bested comodo. http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php I hope that when they test 3.10 it will once again be in the top two.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek