Author Topic: Ransomware!  (Read 30879 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Ransomware!
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »
Watch my video blog about Ransomware

thanks
Melih

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Ransomware!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:18:48 AM »
Sounds nasty. Must be quite frustrating to know that you still have the files, but are unable to access them.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
very much so... its the new lucrative crime wave....

melih

Offline harmony

• Creating a Trusted Internet
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »
Very befitting title, Melih.  :)   It is a pain, unable to access the data when it exists in the place where I put it, first.

Cheers

Offline Daniel Jackson

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:18:33 AM »
I watched your video and I am very surprised. How can somebody invent such a thing? How can I be infected? Is there a chance to block this malware and access my data? Thank you very much.

Offline Commanding The Celsius

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • ^^^^
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:43:19 AM »
I watched your video and I am very surprised. How can somebody invent such a thing? How can I be infected? Is there a chance to block this malware and access my data? Thank you very much.

Ofc you can prevent it. =) Just be careful, once the stuff is encrypted you will have big big issues getting the files back. Set CIS to proactive and if you experience any unknown file google it before allowing it. =)

If unsure, Deny and ask on the forum..
That should got you covered.

And like you don't accept candy from strangers, do not accept files from strangers trying to become your friend either. =)

Use well known sites when DL'ing something.. =) If its not there then its not worth having (IMO unless you got some rare interest).. =)

EDIT:: Infection can happen in many ways, one being you start a file on your own that is infected (common), or visit a infected homepage or opening a file in a mail that is infected.. others ways can include software flaws (could be used by worms) and  even directed attacks at you. MSN is a other place were many catch viruses they just open the file "sexyguy.pic.exe" that someone sent them believing it to be whatever the person on the other side said it was.. but surely there are more ways.

People invent stuff all the time.. =) encryption was probably meant to boost security and avoid unauthorized ppl to get hold on info but if something can be used for bad then its usually used for that as well..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:55:12 AM by Monkey_Boy=) »

Offline Daniel Jackson

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:06:55 AM »
Ofc you can prevent it. =) Just be careful, once the stuff is encrypted you will have big big issues getting the files back. Set CIS to proactive and if you experience any unknown file google it before allowing it. =)

If unsure, Deny and ask on the forum..
That should got you covered.

And like you don't accept candy from strangers, do not accept files from strangers trying to become your friend either. =)

Use well known sites when DL'ing something.. =) If its not there then its not worth having (IMO unless you got some rare interest).. =)

EDIT:: Infection can happen in many ways, one being you start a file on your own that is infected (common), or visit a infected homepage or opening a file in a mail that is infected.. others ways can include software flaws (could be used by worms) and  even directed attacks at you. MSN is a other place were many catch viruses they just open the file "sexyguy.pic.exe" that someone sent them believing it to be whatever the person on the other side said it was.. but surely there are more ways.

People invent stuff all the time.. =) encryption was probably meant to boost security and avoid unauthorized ppl to get hold on info but if something can be used for bad then its usually used for that as well..

Thank you Monke_Boy for such a quick and detailed answer. I try to think over, when I got an alert from CIS, but my sister and parents not (just allow and allow) and I have to tell them there is such thing like ransomware so for them t be careful when allowing :) Thanks.

Offline Commanding The Celsius

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • ^^^^
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
Thank you Monke_Boy for such a quick and detailed answer. I try to think over, when I got an alert from CIS, but my sister and parents not (just allow and allow) and I have to tell them there is such thing like ransomware so for them t be careful when allowing :) Thanks.

lol they are rare.. But sure, Good luck.. =) having a backup of important files could work otherwise.. Since you will probably still be able to format the drive in worse case scenario. =)

Offline Rotty

• Comodo's Hero
  • http://www.venganza.org/ - Noodly Appendage
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:13 AM »
It seems that sometimes the key to decrypt the files is embedded either in the file or somewhere on the system.  Of course it's not necessary for them to do that.
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. 
They do NOT necessarily represent or reflect the views of my employer.

Offline Ringman

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
GpCode was a most ransomware in 2008.
Did Comodo can prevent it ?

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 05:26:27 PM »
GpCode was a most ransomware in 2008.
Did Comodo can prevent it ?

yes

Offline goldlovingirl

• Game Gold Review
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »
Goodness, that's shocking.

Offline Fransb

• Comodo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:09 AM »
Thats some nasty rubbish*.

+ if you pay you dont know if they install more Ransomware on your PC... and then you must pay in the eternalty :P.

Only solution if you are infected is a format of all your drives?? ?????

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
Thats some nasty poo.

+ if you pay you dont know if they install more Ransomware on your PC... and then you must pay in the eternalty :P.

Only solution if you are infected is a format of all your drives?? ?????

How do you know and can be sure that you can detect all detections? How can you clean an infection that you don't know that exist? Sure you can attempt to clean one or two basic infections but the reality is malware is getting nastier and there is no guarantee with cleaning :(

Melih

Offline andyman35

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »
This is a classic example of turning something that's usually highly beneficial for security (data encryption) against the user.It's so fiendishly simple,you almost have to admire their ingenuity.Once caught out with this it's nigh on impossible for the user to decrypt their data without paying up given the inherent strength of many forms of encryption.

I remember reading about a pc repair tech a few years ago that used to install a time-bomb malware on systems he was repairing in order to guarantee repeat business so it doesn't surprise me to see this kind of activity.In times gone by gangsters would offer 'insurance' to folks to avoid disaster so for high-tech criminals to operate cyber protection rackets is inevitable.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:27:31 AM by andyman35 »

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek