Author Topic: Protection vs Cleaning….two very different things!  (Read 127283 times)

Offline BigMike

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Protection vs Cleaning….two very different things!
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
Hi Melih,
thank you for your answer.

what does the word "Anti Virus" mean?
CIS is an Anti Virus product..it surely is not "Pro virus" :)
Yes, no doubt about that :) And yes again, I'm convinced, that HIPS brings a much stronger protection than your (or any other) pure "AV" component in the traditional meaning.

My point is, that CIS's AV component suggests to raise the security with regularly performed full system scans, but you know - and it's your official point of view, as this video shows, that this isn't the case.
Why don't you change the AV component, so that it reflects your official point of view - that means in the first place - don't warn the user, when no full system check is performed for a longer period and don't waste system resources for scheduled scans, since the performance of your file scanner is honestly a pain.

Thank you
Michael

Offline tretas

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Is this a good start?

A good start: YES!

now it would be great to see it integrated in CIS!!! And i'm talking specially about this:

Powerful antivirus scanner capable of removing malware, rootkits, hidden files and malicious registry keys hidden deep within a system

I do understand Melih' point of view, but if you make a poll asking users opinion (which is said to be followed/eared) i believe it will reveal user's interest in integrate CCE and CIS into one product...

but maybe that's just me...

(Anyway you do understand more about security than i do, for sure! And, as i said before, since i'm using Comodo, i've never had another virus problem again...)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:41:56 PM by tretas »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Hi Melih,
thank you for your answer.
Yes, no doubt about that :) And yes again, I'm convinced, that HIPS brings a much stronger protection than your (or any other) pure "AV" component in the traditional meaning.

My point is, that CIS's AV component suggests to raise the security with regularly performed full system scans, but you know - and it's your official point of view, as this video shows, that this isn't the case.
Why don't you change the AV component, so that it reflects your official point of view - that means in the first place - don't warn the user, when no full system check is performed for a longer period and don't waste system resources for scheduled scans, since the performance of your file scanner is honestly a pain.

Thank you
Michael

we are working on a much faster scanning engine.

Offline Valentin N

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Usability Study Group
    • My homepage at the moment
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
we are working on a much faster scanning engine.

Will it support multicore cpu? Keep up the great work.

CEVPN: Valentin N

CIS 6.3

Keep CTM alive by voting

Offline Eyal.Oren

• Comodo Member
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
Thanks Melih , I agree that protection and cleaning are two very different things. but for the users with infected PCs it will be very useful to just download one package ( CIS + CCE included ) and when he installs CIS the CCE will easily be launched and take out all the bad stuff , that is so important to improve the Comodo's reputation for the average users.

I agree with you :-)

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
A good start: YES!

now it would be great to see it integrated in CIS!!! And i'm talking specially about this:

I do understand Melih' point of view, but if you make a poll asking users opinion (which is said to be followed/eared) i believe it will reveal user's interest in integrate CCE and CIS into one product...

but maybe that's just me...

(Anyway you do understand more about security than i do, for sure! And, as i said before, since i'm using Comodo, i've never had another virus problem again...)
[/i][/size][/size][/size]

Yes yes yes.  Integrate CIS and CCE - please... I thought that this natural progression was surely going to occur but as yet it has not.  Melih, please give this request your very serious consideration.

[/size]

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 01:37:30 PM »
[/size][/size]

Yes yes yes.  Integrate CIS and CCE - please... I thought that this natural progression was surely going to occur but as yet it has not.  Melih, please give this request your very serious consideration.

[/size]

people who have clean computers who use CIS do not need CCE.

the ones that are infected first need CCE to clean...once the computer is clean they don't need CCE.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »

the ones that are infected first need CCE to clean...once the computer is clean they don't need CCE.

The concept of the developer is is not always the perceived need of the user - whose desires drive the developer. In this business the tail wags the dog and the developer gives the customer what they want so that they stay on top of the rankings.

CIS is an example of integrated components, so why not add to it? Additionally, we live in a multi-user society where not all users have the same knowledge and expertise and individuals do weird things like follow instructions to turn off the firewall when installing software (we do not live in a perfect world).

If the big C is to be superior then it needs to take a 'belt & braces' approach and aim at developing the perfect package rather than believing that every computer user will obey the same rules of logic.

Offline tretas

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
Hi Melih,

While i do agree with that and may put my idea a bit on the sidewalk, i still think CIS would be a better product if salaficall idea would be followed:

Thanks Melih , I agree that protection and cleaning are two very different things. but for the users with infected PCs it will be very useful to just download one package ( CIS + CCE included ) and when he installs CIS the CCE will easily be launched and take out all the bad stuff , that is so important to improve the Comodo's reputation for the average users.

Since I believe that if a user is updating CIS he's doing it using the CIS Updater (under the "MORE" section), then when someone downloads the full installer, they are doing so to make a new installation on a computer that never had CIS... If this is true then i think it makes complete sense to include CCE in the CIS full installer and do a check-up before CIS starts protecting the user... even if, after the cleaning, CCE gets removed.

In another words, It would be easier for the user to download one package that would do all that is necessary automatically,  than to download Two separated ones:

Download One package > run > >clean > remove package,
Download Second package > install > run (because CIS does make/require a first scan when installed!).

CIS should ensure it is being installed on a clean system, and the full installer does not ensure that unless it has Cutting-Edge scanning technology like the one included on CCE!

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
Hi Melih,

While i do agree with that and may put my idea a bit on the sidewalk, i still think CIS would be a better product if salaficall idea would be followed:

Since I believe that if a user is updating CIS he's doing it using the CIS Updater (under the "MORE" section), then when someone downloads the full installer, they are doing so to make a new installation on a computer that never had CIS... If this is true then i think it makes complete sense to include CCE in the CIS full installer and do a check-up before CIS starts protecting the user... even if, after the cleaning, CCE gets removed.

In another words, It would be easier for the user to download one package that would do all that is necessary automatically,  than to download Two separated ones:

Download One package > run > >clean > remove package,
Download Second package > install > run (because CIS does make/require a first scan when installed!).

CIS should ensure it is being installed on a clean system, and the full installer does not ensure that unless it has Cutting-Edge scanning technology like the one included on CCE!

Nicely and succinctly put... Comodo has the opportunity to be the best - but will they accept the challenge?

Offline UnKnown.??

• Comodo's Hero
  • Unknown Information
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
Hey Melih, I know you said cleaning & protecting are 2 different things but for CIS I thought of a newer idea for CIS. It's this>I have an awesome idea, how about integrating COMODO Cleaning Essentials into COMODO Internet Security for a more POWERFUL PROTECTION? I saw how much threats CCE removes compared to CIS. CCE remove thousands of threats on my PC Shocked! I would like to see that happen in COMODO Internet Security. I know the CEO mentioned Cleaning & protecting are 2 different things but I think it would be a awesome idea to bring the Technology CCE has into COMODO Internet Security for a more ADVANCED & POWERFUL PROTECTION!<

Can this idea be an exception please? I would like to see CIS remove as much threats as CCE did if that would be OK with you?
Windows 7 Home Premium/Unknown Software/(?)/{?}/[?]/<?>

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2011, 02:05:03 AM »
Hey Melih, I know you said cleaning & protecting are 2 different things but for CIS I thought of a newer idea for CIS. It's this>I have an awesome idea, how about integrating COMODO Cleaning Essentials into COMODO Internet Security for a more POWERFUL PROTECTION? I saw how much threats CCE removes compared to CIS. CCE remove thousands of threats on my PC Shocked! I would like to see that happen in COMODO Internet Security. I know the CEO mentioned Cleaning & protecting are 2 different things but I think it would be a awesome idea to bring the Technology CCE has into COMODO Internet Security for a more ADVANCED & POWERFUL PROTECTION!<

Can this idea be an exception please? I would like to see CIS remove as much threats as CCE did if that would be OK with you?

In my mind you are perfectly correct.  The end user wants a one-stop-shop, a wiss army knife style of program to cover computer security.  Comodo has the components but are unwilling to listen to views that are contrary to management's point of view. The ultimate tool for anyone interested in their computer security would have to be CIS, CSC and CCE combined into one program. Nobody wants to mess about installing, updating and using three different programs - and we are the ones that live in the real world. For anyone to justify NOT combining them by saying that once a system i wept clean CIS will ensure security obviously don't share their computer with a family or other people in an office.

What do you suggest they call this hypothetically superbly superior software??

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2011, 04:29:18 AM »
CCE remove thousands of threats on my PC Shocked!

I would like to see CIS remove as much threats as CCE did if that would be OK with you?
As long as you dont say, cis would accept the actions and the unmentioned presence of a threat, or thousands, why do you need something that can remove 1000s of active threats from your computer, additional to you having a normal antivirus with host intrusion protection?
I would not trust my computer after one infection, until reinstallation.
And i would for sure rethink my actions that have left me with infections, instead of trusting in the development of a program, that "removes" my mistakes.

If there are 1000 infections present and activated, your security program could find its master in at least one of them anyway ;)
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there was no phone...."

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
As long as you dont say, cis would accept the actions and the unmentioned presence of a threat, or thousands, why do you need something that can remove 1000s of active threats from your computer, additional to you having a normal antivirus with host intrusion protection?
I would not trust my computer after one infection, until reinstallation.
And i would for sure rethink my actions that have left me with infections, instead of trusting in the development of a program, that "removes" my mistakes.

If there are 1000 infections present and activated, your security program could find its master in at least one of them anyway ;)

Hey Eddie, I told you so....the standard response.  "Once swept there can be no need..." - but we know that life is not as logical as the champions think. Hubris creeps into the lives of many of us academics and we forget that life is more complex than a tightly controlled computer lab and that most computer users haven't got a clue how everything works and that most small businesses do not have the luxury of a full time geek to keep everyone fully trained and to maintain their system. That's why the average end-user (not necessarily the type of people that inhabit the denizens of the Comodo forums) just want one program they can rely on for pretty much any security problem that may develop in their world. Comodo have the ability to provide this holy grail program but unfortunately academic aloofness (there are other words for this) and their pride means that we are unlikely to get what we ask for - which is the opposite to most if not all marketing principles. So we will still be here and happy because we are special people and know which tools to use and when because even if we are not a the same level as some, we are better informed than the average Joe and appreciative of what we have...

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
I think this is first time that I have seen not wanting to utterly destroy the average Joe's Windows installation referred to as "academic aloofness" and "pride" before.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:22:07 AM by kail »
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek