Author Topic: Layered Security - Why this is the only way forward!?  (Read 39317 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Layered Security - Why this is the only way forward!?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
This incompatibility is an important issue, this is why its important for a single vendor to come up with best of breed of security products so that they all work in harmony.. a bit like Comodo :)

Melih

Offline Info-Sec

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »
Well with the best of breed BSODs, its important that you make sure all of the best of breed dosnt have tag alongs.  For example, spy sweeper; a prominent antispyware can come bundled with its antivirus.  It is important to disable (or not install) the antivirus if at all possible to avoid that instability.

I have tried many combinations of best of breed, and still havnt BSODed : /
*Vista *CFP V3 *Avira * Avast *Spyware Doctor
*XP *Zone Alarm PRO *NOD32 V2.7 *Spysweeper

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:55 PM »
BSOD aside, there are many other areas, where having best of breed from one vendor is beneficial

1)Performance: There are many repeated components amongst many security software
2)Security: If the security products are talking to eachother (usually different vendors' products don't) then you can create a more secure system as each product will be helping the other product if they find security issues.
3)Resource Usage: as 1 Resource usage could be optimized.
4)Usability: rather than running many apps, with different logic to learn, one will do it for you.

etc etc

we can continue all day long as this is very subjective issue, however, my opinion is: Best of Breed from responsible provider who uses the ability to work together to the user's advantage by making it more secure, perform better, use less resource and make it easy to use, is better than having discreet components.

thanks
Melih

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »

we can continue all day long as this is very subjective issue, however, my opinion is: Best of Breed from responsible provider who uses the ability to work together to the user's advantage by making it more secure, perform better, use less resource and make it easy to use, is better than having discreet components.

thanks
Melih
I agree with that and people being what people are once they have found something they like find it difficult to change me included have been using AVG antivirus for 6 years with no problems would find it very difficult to change.
That said I would have definitely have install Comodo Antivirus and CPF3 etc. if they had been available when my stepson bought his computer at the begining of the year.
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Centos 7.5 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP, NoScript
 Fedora 28 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
I agree with that and people being what people are once they have found something they like find it difficult to change me included have been using AVG antivirus for 6 years with no problems would find it very difficult to change.
That said I would have definitely have install Comodo Antivirus and CPF3 etc. if they had been available when my stepson bought his computer at the begining of the year.

hi Dennis2

I agree with you in that, for change, you have to have a good reason.. I think you will see that with v3 of our firewall :)

Melih

Offline Info-Sec

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
V3 of the firewall is indeed good.  I think (from what ive seen from the beta) will be a turnoff though.  There are A LOT more pop ups (though the computer scan solves most of them) and I think the V3 was geared more towards a professional because some of the option's descriptions are quite cryptic to a novice.

Offline xiuhcoatl

• Unaffiliated Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »

I agree with Melih on some pints but also with info-sec on the issue about bundling
1) from Melih's Quote at the bottom
"Security: If the security products are talking to each other (usually different vendors' products don't) then you can create a more secure system as each product will be helping the other product if they find security issues."
   Does this mean in the end all comodo Security produts will have an optional Security console?
   Are there still plans to construct a network managment console for CFP?
   Will this include optional management for other security products?
2)
Well with the best of breed BSODs, its important that you make sure all of the best of breed dosnt have tag alongs.  For example, spy sweeper; a prominent antispyware can come bundled with its antivirus.  It is important to disable (or not install) the antivirus if at all possible to avoid that instability.

I have tried many combinations of best of breed, and still havnt BSODed : /
I hope the user will always have the option to install components individual without the installing the suite or the console

Thanks (J)

OD
[/color]

BSOD aside, there are many other areas, where having best of breed from one vendor is beneficial

1)Performance: There are many repeated components amongst many security software
2)Security: If the security products are talking to eachother (usually different vendors' products don't) then you can create a more secure system as each product will be helping the other product if they find security issues.
3)Resource Usage: as 1 Resource usage could be optimized.
4)Usability: rather than running many apps, with different logic to learn, one will do it for you.

etc etc

thanks
Melih
When things go wrong, and they usually will,and your daily road, seems all uphill, when machines are down,and tempers high, when you try to smile, but can only cry,and you really feel you'd like to quit, don't run to me I don't give a sh*t.
(A semi retired systems analyst's credo)

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 08:19:10 AM »
V3 of the firewall is indeed good.  I think (from what ive seen from the beta) will be a turnoff though.  There are A LOT more pop ups (though the computer scan solves most of them) and I think the V3 was geared more towards a professional because some of the option's descriptions are quite cryptic to a novice.
When you test something and if you want to do it properly you test it to its extreme limits to see if it breaks this I believed is what Comodo is doing, when CPF V3 moves to Release Candidate and Final I think there will be a lot less pop ups unless you want them.
Or you can release the product and fixed the problems when they appear like a lot of others do. (OS?)
Dennis
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Centos 7.5 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP, NoScript
 Fedora 28 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »
   Does this mean in the end all comodo Security produts will have an optional Security console?
   Are there still plans to construct a network managment console for CFP?
   Will this include optional management for other security products?

hope the user will always have the option to install components individual without the installing the suite or the console

That was a long topic ;D

...snip...

Here are my suggestion:

Internet Security suite: lets call it Comodo Security Center (CSC) (he he) has the following Features:

1)User can install individual components (just want firewall.. you just get firewall)
2)User can install different components and manage them from CSC (hence removing the hassle of jumping from app to app) So you get the best of both worlds, if you just want the app you just get that, if you have multiple app from Comodo, you have a much more efficient system (without comprimising security)
...snip...

Anyway every new version will bring more and more surprises :D
Let us Wait and See ;)

Anyway once the architecture backbone is done the GUI is only a marginal part like the surfaced part of an iceberg.
Once Vista SP1 will be out maybe there will be a greater chance for cross-brand integration as there will be a new security-app-aware API.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline Info-Sec

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »
When you test something and if you want to do it properly you test it to its extreme limits to see if it breaks this I believed is what Comodo is doing, when CPF V3 moves to Release Candidate and Final I think there will be a lot less pop ups unless you want them.
Or you can release the product and fixed the problems when they appear like a lot of others do. (OS?)
Dennis

As the performance is fine, im simply stating the faults in the UI, which I think might confuse novice users.

Offline twipley

• Comodo Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
Knowledge is another priceless security layer ;)
Mitnick was saying something like:
"the lowest security link in a system is the user's curiosity"

rickyg73

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 11:31:54 PM »
Layered Security is the only way to go, preferably a user could have ALL security software from one vendor, but that is not always possible, years ago i used a certain firewall and it performed well, so i tried that company's anti spyware software, the anti spyware put my pc into a crawl and every task was slow and arduous.
i am personally wary of so called "bundled" / "all in one" software as usually some parts work ok while others fail, to get all security software and have it run well together is a challenge for the user and a challenge for the developer, if ONE single developer had an "all in one" that ran flawlessly on my pc, i would snatch it up with no questions asked, i know if Comodo developed an All In One Security Suite i would try it

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek