Author Topic: Is the AntiVirus biggest fraud in the security world?  (Read 167235 times)

Offline Mark1

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Is the AntiVirus biggest fraud in the security world?
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2014, 06:12:39 AM »
traditional anti virus cannot protect you from today's threats.
Containerization is the key to your protection, which is what Comodo offers for free (noone has this technology).

I'm aware of that.
I was thinking  on your opinion on "Regin".
How Comodo is doing in this vs Regin ?

Offline ncjdvhon

« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2014, 03:04:49 AM »
How can I be infected while I am still using an Anti Virus product? Why am I paying to be protected yet still getting infected? housse galaxy tab 3 7 etui galaxy tab 3 8
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:13:22 PM by ncjdvhon »

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2014, 03:22:55 AM »
How can I be infected while I am still using an Anti Virus product? Why am I paying to be protected yet still getting infected?

Because you're paying for an imperfect protection.
I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Offline Pwd123

« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
Just in case, maybe a re-wording of the Comodo ad pictured below would be more in line with this topic (I hope the snipped pic will stick - only 24K).

I'm clear on how effective CIS is and how fond I am of it, but the sidebar just jumped out at me when I went to the d/b download page after having seen this topic --since no firewall will make anyone's PC virus-free   :)

Edit:  I don't see my attached jpg in the preview. A picture's worth a thousand, but how to describe . . .
So, here https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/updates/vdp/database.php sidebar, above the yellow 'C' logo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
Protection softwares are just there to support you in being aware, while reducing the thoughts.

Any claim of virus free has yet to be proven (if the user is careless)
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there wasnt a phone...."

Offline KasaiTori

« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
Just in case, maybe a re-wording of the Comodo ad pictured below would be more in line with this topic (I hope the snipped pic will stick - only 24K).

I'm clear on how effective CIS is and how fond I am of it, but the sidebar just jumped out at me when I went to the d/b download page after having seen this topic --since no firewall will make anyone's PC virus-free   :)

Edit:  I don't see my attached jpg in the preview. A picture's worth a thousand, but how to describe . . .
So, here https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/updates/vdp/database.php sidebar, above the yellow 'C' logo.

Oh, wow.   Pwd123 pwns.   :-TU

That's some nice sharp eyes you got there!

Hey, look.  I'm sure that Melih means well and such.  But is it too much to ask that the CEO of Comodo look a bit more closely at his company's web site when things like this get added to it?

P.S.: I checked https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/updates/vdp/database.php to see if it's still there.  Yeah.  It's still there.

Offline LordRayden

• Comodo Loves me
  • mess with the best, die like the rest
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi,

to be honest with you, if you know what you are doing you don't need a AV. I ran my PC without an AV for years and never got a Virus. I did a BitDefender online Scan from time to time just to check but I never got a Virus. I don't like AV software because it slows down your PC. For a few years now I use CIS, the AV is good because it doesn't slow down my PC. Still never got a Virus, just a few false positives. You just need a very good Firewall and the knowledge to use it. With my customers I always use a AV because, quite frankly they don't have the slightest Idea what they are doing. The Problem is not the AV, it's the user. For example(a few years ago), one of my customers wanted Norton, I was strongly against it because at the time Norton was not good and it slowed down the PC more then any other AV Software but a friend of him said "it's the best". So I installed it, the PC was almost not usable but he was fine with it. One month later he called me that something is wrong. I checked the PC and found 47 Viruses with Norton running and UpToDate. I knew Norton was not good (at the time) but I also knew it was not that bad so I researched that. Turns out the customer was constantly disabling the AV because of the slowdown, I still don't know how he managed to get 47 Viruses in one month and I don't know why Norton didn't do anything after it was enabled again, I think it got corrupted by one of the viruses. The problem was not the AV it was the user...

If you know what you are doing you are safe, just use your brain and think Logical...

"Just my two cents"

Thanks

LordRayden

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
Hi,

to be honest with you, if you know what you are doing you don't need a AV. I ran my PC without an AV for years and never got a Virus. I did a BitDefender online Scan from time to time just to check but I never got a Virus. I don't like AV software because it slows down your PC. For a few years now I use CIS, the AV is good because it doesn't slow down my PC. Still never got a Virus, just a few false positives. You just need a very good Firewall and the knowledge to use it. With my customers I always use a AV because, quite frankly they don't have the slightest Idea what they are doing. The Problem is not the AV, it's the user. For example(a few years ago), one of my customers wanted Norton, I was strongly against it because at the time Norton was not good and it slowed down the PC more then any other AV Software but a friend of him said "it's the best". So I installed it, the PC was almost not usable but he was fine with it. One month later he called me that something is wrong. I checked the PC and found 47 Viruses with Norton running and UpToDate. I knew Norton was not good (at the time) but I also knew it was not that bad so I researched that. Turns out the customer was constantly disabling the AV because of the slowdown, I still don't know how he managed to get 47 Viruses in one month and I don't know why Norton didn't do anything after it was enabled again, I think it got corrupted by one of the viruses. The problem was not the AV it was the user...

If you know what you are doing you are safe, just use your brain and think Logical...

"Just my two cents"

Thanks

LordRayden

what you say used to be true in the old days....but today with drive by downloads infection is silent and can happen when you visit a news site or facebook.

Offline LordRayden

• Comodo Loves me
  • mess with the best, die like the rest
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2015, 02:45:50 PM »
I maybe wrong but that is Malware (Spyware) not a Virus?
You need a Anti Malware product, I personally use a combination of HijackThis, Spybot Search and Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware. But things that these three Programs detect and remove doesn't get detected by AV Software (also not by Comodo AV). For more safety I use an non mainstream Browser (Opera, but since version 15 it doesn't have the presto engine and uses Chromium so it's basically a rebranded Chrome) and of course disable flash. If you don't download any funny Software or open an E-Mail Attachment called "Adobe Reader Update.scr" you are pretty safe. But again there is the Problem, I know that an *.scr file has nothing to do with Adobe and that this is a Virus but the normal user doesn't so he clicks it...

Just my opinion...

Thanks

LordRayden

Offline sarab

• MalwareHero.com
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2015, 06:37:47 AM »
I think so too.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek