Have you ever felt, lost, overwhelmed, vulnerable?

Have you ever felt, lost, overwhelmed, vulnerable?

If you have then I strongly recommend that you go see a shrink!

But imagine how your ID would feel in the midst of Bits and Bytes in your computer amongst thousands of executable programs which he does not understand, amongst the viruses that has infected your machines fighting the Trojans who is logging every keystroke for your valuable IDs. The Spyware who is watching both the viruses and Trojan’s on your machine and grabbing that precious ID you have confidently trusted your PC with and sending it back to its creator! Do you think your Valuable Information, your ID, feels lost, overwhelmed and vulnerable in that black box called a “personal computer”!!!

Do you really know how many executables files (these are applications/software that are built to do things on your computer like Internet explorer) running at any one time on your machine? The reason why executable files is because these are the ones that “do” something, they execute an instruction good or bad!

Ok let me ask you a question in a different way: “ Do you know how many people live in your house”? yes majority of us do! A PC is like a house for your executable files, do you know how many living in that house called PC? Nope! We haven’t got a clue! Should we? Well… in theory we should but its not as simple as counting people living in a house! It’s a complex animal these PCs. Do you know, when you drop your ID in this house called PC, who is there? Who will see it? When we are getting undressed, we usually do it in the privacy of our own house or even our own room, bar few streakers that might be reading this for whom this will totally not make sense but hey! But we are quite happy to drop our ID into one of these houses called PCs! But wait that’s not all! These houses called PCs have tunnels in them that connects them to other houses around the world!! And never mind knowing who is living in this PC you own anymore, the question becomes who is going to come thru these tunnels (what? Tunnels? More than one?) and do what to your ID? So we have invited this black box called PC into our lives, given it a prominent position in our houses, living rooms, put all our Information valuable and not so valuable information into it, yet we don’t know who is in it or can connect to it!

Do you know what insecurities your PC has?
Do you know which products you should be buying to protect against these?
Do you know how much you should be paying?

No, No and another NO!

Today there is no single place you can go to buy protection against today’s threats that easily without forking out large amount of $$$, never mind a product that will also assure you against any future threats!

In this search to protect ourselves, like a man in a desert drinking the poisonous water, we fall victim to even more fraudsters claiming to offer protection for you!

We need protection, assurance on our machines. Something that tells us: Everthying is Ok carry on doing what you are doing on your computer and don’t worry about a thing. This should not require me to be an expert to understand what is what! On contrary it should be totally invisible to the user! I have an Air Bag in my car and I haven’t got a clue as to how it works and not interested in learning how (there are too many things to learn in this world! And I only have very (I do mean very) limited number of grey cells). But I know what it can do for me which is enough for me to know. So should a user be burdened with a decision about “ services.exe is trying to connect to internet do you want to allow it?” by your firewall which is really clever to intercept any calls that any programs make to internet but does not tell you what you should do with it! What’s the bloody point!!! How many of us know the difference between service.exe a legitimate program and services.exe which is a Trojan! Not many! We need to change the way we protect ourselves! We need to change the way we protect our identity and everything of value! Technology is one part of the equation! The other part, as and when you have the technology, is the accessibility!

So, in this house called PC living thousands of executables, where I don’t have a clue about who is who, connected to millions of other PCs around the world and I don’t even have a proper protection!

God save us!

Melih

Halve the dosage, man. :wink:

Ok let me double it first then i will halve :slight_smile:

Melih

I didn’t think you were the kinda guy that took half measures. LOL

e

Wow Melih,

You will really scare the hell out of people with this. Luckily I am somewhat computer literate, lest I will come crying to you, begging for help. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Melih, you did put to print what many of us are thinking about sometimes…
It’s a pain in the a** that you have to be an expert on computers, just to surf the web…
I do like to use computers, but security is not my biggest interest. and I think that I’m not alone… That is one thing you wish could just work by itself…
I think that I know when I’m secure or not (that’s why I switched from Norman to Comodo :)), but a lot of people don’t. It feels hopeless to help neighbours, family and friends with their computers, when they constantly get trojans, viruses and spyware all over the computer. When you are going home, after cleaning their computer, they already have a new virus… Even if they have the best products, they really don’t know when to pick “allow” or not, when the firewall ask them…
How many “ordinary” people go in to a forum like this to learn more? How many of them reads the FAQ about getting their childrens games work like they should? Not many! What happens? Well, I think their children (and grown ups) just turns the firewall off, and play games or what they do… that’s my experience anyway… Nice protection…
Comodo could do a lot of people a favor, by improving auto settings and rules. Is it hard to make all webbrowsers “ready to go”, right after install? The biggest/most popular games, like Steam (hl2), WOW and so on? Skype, Xfire, DC++… I don’t just meen application monitor now, but also network monitor with default ports. I know there are thousands of programs out there, but it felt for me that your “search for known applications” didn’t find anything… It will probably get better, but please hurry! Don’t make people turn your (and others) products off! People don’t know how/have time to learn/use all programs on the computer, and things like printers, scanners, TV, DVD-player…

I have only used your firewall so far, and it rocks! I recommend it to everyone! I will try your other products soon, but I have NOD32 antivirus and Adaware SE Pro, so It’s not like I’m unprotected…
(sorry for any misspelling, but i’m not english)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback!

I have just oked an increase of another 25 people in the safelisting dept! Also, new versions of firewall and AV products will have encourage and make it easy for submitting files. So expect our safelist to be one of the best in the market place pretty quickly!

Melih

I guess the best protection against Internet malwares is oneself. I don’t mean to undermine Firewalls and AVs but if you look closely, it is the user that matters the most. I mean I also have helped people installing Anti-Spywares, AVs and Firewalls but they just get hit again and again. So unless there is somewhat a great improvement in the security softwares, I guess this is just a vicious cycle.

Melih,

I just submitted a feedback to McAfee for a file that is supposed to be in their safelist through HackerWatch.org. It struck me that it is a good idea and that you should also implement it. However, I don’t really like their interface for submtting the feedback; it is just a big blank space. I was hoping that Comodo could provide a better interface for submitting safe files.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

I don’t feel that save any longer after reading your post, Melih.
Man, that’s disturbing!
…maybe Ewen’s right. Halve the dosage will ya’.

This must have been the day, Melih drank more coffee than I did.

Have you ever felt, lost, overwhelmed, vulnerable?>>were you at my wedding? :-[

If you have then I strongly recommend that you go see a shrink!>>Been there , done that.

Do you really know how many executables files (these are applications/software that are built to do things on your computer like Internet explorer) running at any one time on your machine? >> Yes, 2145.

Ok let me ask you a question in a different way: >> go ahead, shoot. ::slight_smile:

“ Do you know how many people live in your house”? Including me or no?

A PC is like a house for your executable files do you know how many living in that house called PC? >> Yes, 2145.

Nope! We haven’t got a clue! >>ummmm, 2145.

Should we? >>Um, no?

Well… in theory we should but its not as simple as counting people living in a house! >>Yes, 2145.

It’s a complex animal these PCs.>> like my mother in law?

Do you know, when you drop your ID in this house called PC, who is there? >>No but I hope they’re tiny.

When we are getting undressed, we usually do it in the privacy of our own house or even our own room, bar few streakers>> Streakers In your home???

But we are quite happy to drop our ID into one of these houses called PCs!>>Then, umm, why are you scaring us? ???

But wait that’s not all! >>there’s more?! :o

These houses called PCs have tunnels in them that connects them to other houses around the world!! >>Um that’s called an escape route isn’t it?

And never mind knowing who is living in this PC you own anymore>>but… you said we should. :-[

the question becomes who is going to come thru these tunnels (what? Tunnels? More than one?) >> my mother in law, that's a no-brainer.

So we have invited this black box called PC>>Mine says emachines

Do you know what insecurities your PC has?>> Windows?
Do you know which products you should be buying to protect against these?>>Mac?
Do you know how much you should be paying?>>rebate or no rebate?

No, No and another NO!>>well thank you Mr. “No” it all. (:AGY)

Today there is no single place you can go to buy protection against today’s threats that easily without forking out large amount of $$$, >>Ummm I go to COMODO it’s free!

In this search to protect ourselves, like a man in a desert drinking the poisonous water>>Have a sip or two did you?

We need protection,>>YES!

assurance on our machines.>>YES!

Something that tells us: Everthying is Ok carry on doing what you are doing on your computer and don’t worry about a thing. >>A pop up window?

This should not require me to be an expert to understand what is what! >>Pop up windows aren’t that bad.

On contrary it should be totally invisible to the user! >> Then how do we know we have it?

I have an Air Bag in my car >>me too , my mother in law.

and I haven’t got a clue as to how it works and not interested in learning how >>oh, you know her too?

(there are too many things to learn in this world! >>ABCDEFG

And I only have very (I do mean very) limited number of grey cells)>>Hope it’s not dying of lonliness. (:CLP)

But I know what it can do for me which is enough for me to know.>>ummmm  (:SAD)

What’s the bloody point!!! >>YEAH!!!

How many of us know the difference between service.exe a legitimate program and services.exe >>>I do ! I do !

Not many!

which is a Trojan!>>that round thing?

We need to change the way we protect ourselves! >>no comment. :o

We need to change the way we protect our identity and everything of value!>> I am a gun owner.

Technology is one part of the equation! The other part, as and when you have the technology, is the accessibility! >>So T+A =T&A?

So, in this house called PC living thousands of executables, >>executables branch?

where I don’t have a clue about who is who, >>The local tavern? (:TNG)

connected to millions of other PCs around the world and I don’t even have a proper protection!>>Go to Comodo.

God save us!>>Amen to that brother! (:AGL)

Melih

Very Funny !! :slight_smile: Enjoyed reading it.

Good work Comicfan200!

Melih

Hi Melih, this was in complete humor and not serious, ::slight_smile:
I was in fact concerned about doing this but felt compelled, ;D I just want to know what you had that day, do they sell it at my store? :smiley:

Cheers,

Paul

:slight_smile:

Melih

So Paul,

You decided to put that up after all, eh? Heheheh, Melih told me he is gonna reset your post counts to zero. You are gonna do that right, Melih? ;D :stuck_out_tongue:

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Melih… where is the rest of the post? You left me hangin’ (:SAD)

I want my happy ending (:AGY)

(:TNG)

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.
(:CLP)

m0ng0d, that was thought provoking and very inspirational.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Yes, very good (:CLP) But it didn’t have the mystery, and the keep you trembling as Melih’s did. The edge of your seat kind of stuff. ::slight_smile:

We have unknown threats that we should know about, but don’t , we know he has streakers running around his house :-\ , tunnels underground, people living in our computers, we have a security we can’t see, we know he has airbags in his car, and executables running all around us!

Now that’s thrill writing people! (:CLP)

Cheers,

Paul

Hey Dan,

I wonder when they’re going to realise your quote is followed, not long after, by “HUGE tracts of land!” LOL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hahaha… don’t think for one second that that hasn’t almost been posted… but I didn’t want to appear sexist… thanks for working it in there cleanly Ewen!! Now I can stop debating it! :smiley: :wink:

(:CLP)

I did think it was a bit silly, me having to stay and guard him, when he’s a guard.

(:TNG)