Author Topic: Give all that for FREE!!! What's the Catch? How does Comodo Make Money?  (Read 432692 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Give all that for FREE!!! What's the Catch? How does Comodo Make Money?
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
So after next year, when digital Certs become free and open source https://letsencrypt.org/
( This organisation is already backed by some big names .. Scroll down and have a look at the "Brought to you by" section )

What then ?

I haven't listened to it yet but there's a talk about it in the latest Steve Gibson Security Now ! podcast
http://twit.tv/show/security-now/483

And the project at GitHub https://github.com/letsencrypt

Also will Comodo be participating to any extent in the project ? ( I mean if you have to eventually find another good source of income, you may aswell impart your expertise / knowledge for the good of the project and future encryption which we will all become dependant upon ( I cant see companies sticking with the paid for certs if this does everything they need for free ) .. yes ?, might be good PR )

We already give Certificates for free..have been for many years...
These certificates do not have any "validation" apart from checking to see if you have a temporary control of the domain. These kind of certificates should not show the padlock as these certificates provide encryption but do not validate who you are encrypting for. You could be encrypting your data for the hacker you are trying to avoid in the first place :).

So to summarise

1) You do not know who you are encrypting for (as there is no validation).
2) Anyone who takes temporary control of your domain (or email server) can obtain these certificates without your knowledge
3) We have been giving these for free for many years anyway ;)

So what is the news again? ;)

Melih

Offline w33d3r

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
So no threat to Comodo .. Cool

Really glad that is the case, I was not looking forward to potential free and excellent projects being given the axe, such as Comodo Dragon, because the company maybe had to make employment reductions.

Offline IOError

« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2015, 04:06:05 PM »
This is a link to a new version of our Manifesto to understand why we are doing what we are doing

What Comodo is trying to do is simple! Give high quality high security desktop security products for free!

For free... or a pay-per-install fee from the " OTB" . Your certs were (I believe still are) compromised and APT's have been using it to obfuscate code and activities as the packages are digitally signed by you guys...  cert issue/deployment aint that complicated to monitor and control and realize something does not add up...
As standard operating procedure when we find comodo products, we format and reinstall everything fresh. Systematically we advice and evangelize customers, friends and family, forums and even strangers on the street about staying away of all comodo products.  I know that is just closing a little hole. But you gotta start somewhere. And in the end of the day... you are a security company guys... that makes  the whole thing not only very very sad... but really obscene.

Mod edit: I fixed the quote structure. Eric
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:45:06 PM by EricJH »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2015, 05:59:13 PM »
For free... or a pay-per-install fee from the " OTB" . Your certs were (I believe still are) compromised
Could you corroborate that?
and APT's have been using it to obfuscate code
Do you have examples?
and activities as the packages are digitally signed by you guys...  cert issue/deployment aint that complicated to monitor and control and realize something does not add up...
Unfortunate as this is it has happened to other CA's as well..

As standard operating procedure when we find comodo products, we format and reinstall everything fresh. Systematically we advice and evangelize customers, friends and family, forums and even strangers on the street about staying away of all comodo products.  I know that is just closing a little hole. But you gotta start somewhere. And in the end of the day... you are a security company guys... that makes  the whole thing not only very very sad... but really obscene.
Reformatting when removing any product is ripping off customers in my book.

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2015, 05:39:53 PM »
As standard operating procedure when we find comodo products, we format and reinstall everything fresh.
Do you put the reinstall on the bill for the customer?

Also, what exactly do you mean?
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there wasnt a phone...."

Offline makloda

« Reply #320 on: December 04, 2015, 06:16:13 AM »
I have been using CIS for years, for free. What is the best way to donate some money to Comodo? Simply buy the pro version (but I never use the technician) or does Melih/Comodo run any charity we could donate to?

Offline lucidastella

« Reply #321 on: December 26, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
Thanks to Melih and developers of COMODO

for giving us the best security suite ever existed!

COMODO is getting good reputation even in the opposite side of the world

here, South Korea

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #322 on: December 27, 2016, 12:49:27 AM »
Thanks to Melih and developers of COMODO

for giving us the best security suite ever existed!

COMODO is getting good reputation even in the opposite side of the world

here, South Korea

Thank you to all our user in South Korea! I love Kimchi :)

Offline Im_Special

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
You guys make it sound like Comodo isn't like Google, or Microsoft with all their telemetry and user data they collect, just load up whireshark or something similar and watch all the traffic go to Comodo servers. Even when the Firewall is on lockdown with options like "cloud lookup" disabled, things are still being sent, it can't be stopped.

You can bet they make money off that data, which is probably literally everything happening on your computer (if this was Microsoft, people would flip their rubbish*). And I don't see Comodo coming out and being truthful with whats being collected either.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
You guys make it sound like Comodo isn't like Google, or Microsoft with all their telemetry and user data they collect, just load up whireshark or something similar and watch all the traffic go to Comodo servers. Even when the Firewall is on lockdown with options like "cloud lookup" disabled, things are still being sent, it can't be stopped.

You can bet they make money off that data, which is probably literally everything happening on your computer (if this was Microsoft, people would flip their rubbish*). And I don't see Comodo coming out and being truthful with whats being collected either.

let me know if you find something worth selling...and someone to sell it to, we'll split the profit :)

Online windstorm

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Veritas Lux Mea
« Reply #325 on: December 29, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »
Now is the time to profit. lol

Offline yigido

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • COMODO Rocks!
    • Free Comodo Products!
« Reply #326 on: December 29, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
let me know if you find something worth selling...and someone to sell it to, we'll split the profit :)

;D ;D   :Beer MELİH (CNY)
Encrypt the web! Use HTTPS Everywhere..
Block spying ads and invisible trackers! Use Privacy Badger..

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek