Author Topic: Botnets! Ever increasing Threat!!  (Read 73604 times)

Offline marcos.zy

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo Loves me
    • Open2Tech - Opinião aberta sobre tecnologia
Re: Botnets! Ever increasing Threat!!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
Quote from: Melih
Isn't one of the reason why people don't use protection because it cost them money?

I think that it is one of the reasons. In my opinion, people don't use protection (or use only AV in some cases) because they think that something bad will never occurs with them, in some cases, and also don't know, many times, "what" are the risks, and "what" are the protection tools (and how to use it).

I know people who have been stolen, which had your bank details stolen through some type of malware (and have lost money due to this), and still don't using a firewall, for example.  ???

It seems unbelievable, but is true, unfortunately.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 12:49:47 PM by marcos.zy »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:21 PM »
maybe they think just AV is enough?
maybe they don't understand they need prevention?

Melih

Offline Blas

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
They don't even care about what they might need...till they are robbed. The problem is in my opinion that people still don't realize that to use the internet they need to have some sort of basic knowledge about it. They wouldn't bother learning to configure a firewall, answering popups ect...People are still way too naive regarding the internet and the threats related. And if the problem occurs they might install an av or firewall but they still wouldn't bother learn what is happening at least on the surface. I mean if they do have the firewall which in fact in itself gives them a sort of protection but if they just answer "Allow" to everything without even reading the alert it is almost useless. I think common sense along with such great products as CFP has one of the biggest influence on the security of the Internet. So Im with Burillo in this topic. It will be a tough mission to educate the masses and Im not referring here to the mental capabilities of individuals but the fact that the puplic also needs a kind of urge to learn; accept our helping hand and open their minds to some new stuff.

Offline weaker

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
maybe they think just AV is enough?
maybe they don't understand they need prevention?

Maybe they don't think at all.
Maybe they don't understand.
Maybe they don't want anything new.
Maybe they simply don't care.

Offline Burillo

• Comodo's Hero
  • Bunghole
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »
the common problem - i told my friend to install a firewall. She did. But still, she doesn't understand what is it and how does it work on prevention (and WHAT does it prevent). You see, to be able to protect yourself means having at least basic knowledge of FROM WHAT you are protecting. The words "protection" and "security" are too general. If you don't know what is dll injection - how can you be absolutely sure the action is safe? significant amount of users don't even want to learn some basic things about the computer.
Some people are dumb... (c) Butt-head

Remember! CIA is watching you!

Offline weaker

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »
People are ALARMINGLY neglectful about privacy. They don't care where their data flows. In most cases they present it willingly at MySpace and Facebook and whatnot. They don't understand the threat. They just don't see it.
That's why they don't care about a firewall.

Offline marcos.zy

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 06:00:17 PM »
And, in addition to the above mentioned reasons, remains the fact that the majority of people does not adopts any security policy, which is more than simply have a firewall, an anti-virus and another security tools. Here, we have to agree that must to exist a "package", which consists of "men" (and all their knowledgement), "softwares" and "hardware". Each of them has your own level of importance.

And in most of the cases an invasion, for example, could be prevented only by adoption of good practice while browsing, and even this is neglected. I think that the first level of security is the user itself. There is no advantage in having a powerful security suite (including firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc), if the user does not understands the basic rudiments about computers, LAN, internet and prevenction/security, and simply answers "yes/allow" to any popup showed by his firewall, for example, without any knowledgement of what he is doing, and about what will be the consequences of it action.

There is much to do, think and change on this field, yet. Knowledgement is an important point, but I don't get to imagine yet a way to this be more effectively distributed, shared and "learned" by people. And, we have to consider the fact that most of the people simply don't gets to learn anything at this respect.

They only wants to turn on their machines and browse the web, forgotting any common sense and don't having the minimum concern about security. I don't get to imagine a way (at least in a short term) to change this, and this is frustrating.

As mentioned by Melih, the cost is one of the involved barriers that prevents people to use security solutions. But, for example, we can find inumerous good solutions, and many of them totally for free (many thanks to Comodo here, and long life to them... hehehe  :) ).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 06:02:44 PM by marcos.zy »

Offline GuitarBob

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
Lots of users can afford security software, Melih, but don't use it or don't use it properly.  The proper use of security software requires that the user must learn something about it, and they don't want to do that.  People get comfortable with what they know, and many of them are afraid to learn something new--which is what security software requires.

As in a lot of things, this requires education to fix the problem, and, as mentioned, sometimes it's forced upon them by necessity.  They do all right then, but that first step is hard for many people.

Regards,

Offline SpacemanPT

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 04:37:22 AM »
i think that people don't realise how many threats exist on the net... every day i see some post on other forums saying that firewalls are for paranoic people... no-one realises that the internet is not what it looks like.
I keep reading things like "no-one would hack my computer because only corporate computers get hacked"
sorry for being not exactly on-topic... just had to post something after reading some posts on this thread and some other posts i've just read on other forums

edit: errors on my typing :P

Toggie

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »
As others have said, it's essentially down to knowledge. A firewall, for the most part, requires some knowledge to maintain it. The majority of people that use the Net, just don't want to be bothered with the detail.

Take for example the 'silver surfers' some are pretty canny, but most are not. How are you going to reach them?

I reinstalled XP on a friends PC a few days ago, because she had so much malware, it was impossible to do anything else. Prior to the reinstall, she had no security at all. I installed cfp 2.4 and configured it for her applications and put AV there too. Now I get 10 calls a day asking what she should do for one pop-up or another!

This is not what a average user wants, they want to get to all this useless social websites and download their favourite podcasts without being bothered by some pop-ups

Offline Burillo

• Comodo's Hero
  • Bunghole
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 05:50:17 AM »
it's just like with an HIV - people don't want to think of safety, they just want to have some sex :-)))) some use condoms, but these give a false sense of security, since in fact they aren't much of a protection.

and you know, i think it's also M$ to blame - they claim their OS (WinXP, didn't touch Vista yet) is "even more secure"... I'd quote JB from "Tenacious D" - "Yeah, this is awesome! Compared to bullsh-t...". Yes, it's secure. Compared to Windows 95. All these Windows Updates are really giving a not-so-computer-savvy user a false sense of protection, since they don't know anything about how does malware work and don't WANT to know it. But at least following basic computer hygiene rules would be enough to drastically decrease the infection spreading. Middle ages, Black Death? Modern era, countless worms, trojans, viruses... Thank God this time no one dies.
Some people are dumb... (c) Butt-head

Remember! CIA is watching you!

Offline Frosty Port

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
I agree with every reply in this thread it falls on the user of the system to know what the alert is and means. I also know that people will push the limit when it comes to being pro-active in the security of there computer. I was in a forum just the other day and a member posted his own FW log & IP in the forum. now his system is very unsecured. anybody that has seen this has a direct access point to his system! and knows what type of FW they would have to defeat! it's holes like this in security that people make for them selves. and no security that may be in place will help. I myself have ran in to alerts that I had no clue of what they where or meant but I know I can just Google it to find my answer and just knowing that it's just a click that can allow some kind of deviants in the system should be enough to scare most people but like I said lots of people will push the limit.

{I've always said security starts with the person in control}             
{XP-PRO-SP2} {FireFox}  {Avast-Pro AV}  {Comodo FW pro3}

Offline marcos.zy

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
Unfortunately, most of the people forgets that an insecure computer is not only dangerous for them, but also for others. It is a snowball that grows day by day. People are very individualistic, too.

Offline Frosty Port

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »
individualistic: yes but carelessness is what gets theme in trouble I have family members that will just click the x and close the warning! I have seen them do it many times it's like it never happened and I ask why did you do that! the answer, "I do not know what that means"!!!!!!!!, ok it says warning on it now to me a answer like that is just plane nuts. individualistic/stupidity I think is one in the same it's these kind of holes in security no matter how good of a FW, antivirus, antispywear, a person has if they can just simply click a x and end the warning it will fell there is no further warning that will happen.     
{XP-PRO-SP2} {FireFox}  {Avast-Pro AV}  {Comodo FW pro3}

Offline hbobeck

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
What most people (who are not using a firewall today) will need is an effective out-of-the-box product that gives them protection without questions to be asked.

I understand this is probably not the easiest to develop, but what good is a firewall to the general population as they click "yes/accept" to any pop-up they receive. (like my dad does....after having experienced that his internet connection was blocked after his first "deny").

Harry

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek