Author Topic: AV-comparatives.org, bullying, and financial deals with anti virus vendors  (Read 58254 times)

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
Re: AV-comparatives.org, bullying, and financial deals with anti virus vendors
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »
Well Wilder Security Forum is having their own debate on this. Makes fun reading. ..
Welcome to the forums Johine77.

Since both of those URLs were posted just a few posts above yours, perhaps you'd like to expand on that a bit. Thanks.
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline devenroy

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
Very sad to see this... i request all people to re-share this link in ur all social websites like twitter, facebook, google + etc. let everyone know :))))
Well done melih thanks for revealing this.
Thanks,
Deven

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »
Andreas of AV-Comparitives said: "When I (Andreas) started doing the public tests in 2003, I did it for free and asked users if they wanted to donate something. Practically no one donated, and based on the high demand for continuing the tests, and the increasing complexity of the tests, I had to start asking all vendors to pay a fee."

But why do they force the Antivirus companies to deny the "existence" of the financial relationship? Why are they trying to hide this?

Here is the clause look at the highlighted section.

Why are they scared of letting public know? How can they be trusted by public if they don't trust public with this information in the first place?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
Most of the things cost money. Sometimes they are free for one side (like comodo cis free for the users), but the people who work for comodo will get paid though.

In a way, its more likely safer to let something be tested by an organisation who generally takes money from all of the tested, because if the organisation does wrong, they will lose the business.

If everyone pays, no one has an advantage. Or?

If you want "this brand", the brand can choose the price. And as long as its paid, the price seems to be right.

What would change, if the page would say: a test costs 19,95 for everyone?

I dont take position for any side. I just dont see a problem beyond "market" here.

What is the "finacial deal with antivirus vendors" in the headline?
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there wasnt a phone...."

Offline IGLSecurity.Brad

• IGL-Security Blog
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
But why do they force the Antivirus companies to deny the "existence" of the financial relationship? Why are they trying to hide this?

Where were vendors denying the existence of this deal?

mod edit: quotation fixed for clarity. kail
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:14:16 PM by kail »
Computer Security Blogger [at] http://igl-security.blogspot.com/

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »
Where were vendors denying the existence of this deal?

mod edit: quotation fixed for clarity. kail

IE might have problem displaying these.there is a picture below.

Also: AV-Comparatives threatened Comodo in their email by saying: They will reveal the confidential information first. Where is the ethic of signing an agreement that is confidential and then threatening your customer that you will reveal this confidential information to public if you don't comply with their demands?

For your reference: Here is what AV-Comparatives said in their Email: "we may post our reply on Monday in public. (e.g. we could clarify that Comodo paid for not releasing their results - the various static detection tests etc. that were commissioned by Comodo)"

This, as per the agreement was a confidential information, even the existence of the agreement was confidential as per the agreement. So AV-Comparatives first signs an agreement that is confidential, then threatens you that they will release it if you don't do what they say. This is totally unethical!!!!!

Melih
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:33:57 PM by Melih »

Offline Kruis

• Comodo's Hero
Security Professional

Offline albatros65

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »
http://www.melih.com/2011/11/27/av-comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-anti-virus-vendors/

thanks

Melih

I received a free copy of one of the best IS in comparatives and I've tested it. I can drop the fact you can download and run a leak test with the result: your firewall has been penetrated... but not that this fantastic internet security gave me a lot of trouble with wireless. In the past, another five star IS disabled my newsgroup client and none could fix the issue.
Many thank to your staff for fixing all my problems with wireless :-) With Comodo I pay and have a service... even if with CIS I've never had any problem...
So, if I look at test results, what is strange is that they didin't match with my experience.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek