Authentication! The Next Big Thing?

Please read my latest blog and feel free to Talk Back :slight_smile:

thanks
Melih

Could you send me a sample of that 20$ so I can check its authenticity? ;D
BTW your blog is not autenticated :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes apart I agree with those arguments but I’m uncertain about the details.
I would like to read a more detailing explaination about auditing policies and what assumptions are safe when a SSL certified site is encountered.

For example while is without question that the ssl cert provide a way to bind an entity to a site I’m still uncertain on some aspects.

For example is a common thing that frauds are actually carried by entities/pesona that do have a phisical address.
Usually these addresses are only used for a limited time so I guess that authentication can only solve a part of the issue.

Anyway it’s true that authentication provide an easy way to address content management. So if I trust a source
I can save me the hassle to autenticate each signed content. If i notice something I dislike I can block any content from that source.

So IMHO new sources cannot be really trusted only because it’s possible to authenticate them.

Regards,
gibran

Great blog, the language looks like it would be easy to understand for a complete computer novice. :slight_smile:

Thanks Japo :slight_smile:

Melih

I totally agree with you Melih. Today’s internet is full of perils, yet most people have no idea of the “wolves dressed up in grandma’s clothes in grandma’s bed.” Comodo has great tools out there. McAfee has their Site Advisor, which is a good idea, but its ratings depend on users’ opinions (not necessarily the best opinions either). It would be great to see authentication somehow “built-in” to the internet. The other side to the argument is how to educate the world. Most computer users will make sure they lock their doors, the car tires have enough tread and air, their seat belts are buckled, and they drive the speed limit (and hopefully be careful in all their daily activities). Yet, these same people will not think twice about sending out their credit card information to a website that may, or may not, be authentic and secure.

By the way, I would like to thank you and everyone at Comodo. We use Comodo firewall, BOCleaner, and VEngine at home. Our computers are much cleaner, and with VEngine we can see which sites are legit, which ones have sloppy security, and which ones are just plain scary. Some companies have lost my business simply because their websites can not prove to me that they are secure. I am trying to do my part by spreading the word. With some people it takes a lot of educating to change their ways.
(:CLP)

thanks Grayhair…
this is only the start…

You will see that with our new initiatives in the early in 08 we will empower our users to make a diference on the internet!

thank you again

Melih

Authentication is a two way street. Client authentication will become just as hot a potato in the next year or two, as host authentication.

We all appreciate your efforts in this field, Melih.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Very much so Ewen

Human to Human
Human to Device
Device to Device
And Mutual authentication where both parties needs to authenticate eachother.

thanks
Melih

Currently, trust (or authentication) is something that is “added” on top of a transaction, whereas trust NEEDS to be an intrinsic part of the technology underpinning the transaction. An authentication layer is what is needed, Lord knows how you’re going to achieve it, but I think you’re onthe right track.

Ewen :slight_smile:

As always, you are spot on Ewen :slight_smile:

We created Connectivity… then this led to Interactions… now these interactions being converted into Transactions…

Connectivity is provided by ISPs…
Interactions mainly provided by search engines, social networking, comparison etc…
Transactions are follow on from interactions… however without trust its pretty limited… so Trust will enable more interactions turning into Transactions.

thanks
Melih