Author Topic: 2 internets.......  (Read 38253 times)

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
Re: 2 internets.......
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 12:40:39 AM »
One of the worst things I have encountered is when you want to leave a site etc.... that you have had to create an account to use, then you find you cannot delete account when you wish to leave and never use again, they refuse to delete the account when contacted, add insult to injury there's no way to prevent them spamming you except to set up a filter to delete them, is ridiculous situation when they can create accounts in a second but wont delete them in a second  >:(

Through with a virtual world that is refusing to delete an account and is sending me spam I have hit on an idea of changing the email address in the account to one of there's.....lol......I think it be a nice symmetry for them to spam themselves  ;D

I agree on the account deletion thing, I even think the Comodo forum is one of those sites that doesn't delete accounts (if I remember correctly, mods can probably correct me if I'm wrong)

Perhaps going off-topic here, but you can "fix" the e-mail issue by using something like MaskMe, essentially it creates a new e-mail for every website and everything sent to those e-mails is forwarded to your primary e-mail, if one address starts to get spam you can simply block that address from forwarding any more e-mails in the MaskMe settings.

I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Offline AimeeLW

• Comodo's Hero
  • Kemono's rule :o)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
Thank you Sanya  for telling me about MaskMe, I will look into that as it looks like a great way to deal with these kinds of issues, thanks again huuuuugs  :)
Linux Mint 18 64bit and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit :)

Offline disabled account 7

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
Thank you Sanya  for telling me about MaskMe, I will look into that as it looks like a great way to deal with these kinds of issues, thanks again huuuuugs  :)

I always make it a practice to use throw away emails for sites like that, and basically a throw away user name/password..
Some sites have been known to actually disable "deleting" accounts completely.. 

Sanya's suggestion works as well...

Offline disabled account 7

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
There is a new internet emerging......
An amazing information surge...all created by users...
amongst that information surge...your everyday conversations over facebook....your emails via gmail....and many more of your details.....

You do NOT control it...
You can NOT revoke it...
You can NOT modify it...
You can NOT manage it...
Sometimes...you do NOT even own it!!!!and yes we are talking about YOUR CONTENT!!!!

I think its about time we

EMPOWER OUR USERS.....to

1)Own their own content
2)Control and manage their own content
3)Revoke their content (if they wanted to)...(you don't like what you have written 2 years ago....press a button....pufff...gone...)
4)Apply policies to your own content...

its time to EMPOWER our USERs!

I say ENOUGH to large organisations who erode your privacy every day.....
I say ENOUGH to many organisations who obtain your data without your consent and sell it on
I say ENOUGH to eroding your Privacy....

And I say think again to people who say "this is internet, there is no privacy".......!

IOWN is coming..........Comodo has innovated yet again.......

Melih

If you can make something like this happen, you will have my attention again..  Security and Privacy should go hand in hand.. 

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
I agree on the account deletion thing, I even think the Comodo forum is one of those sites that doesn't delete accounts (if I remember correctly, mods can probably correct me if I'm wrong)....
Correct we do not delete accounts, we can disable accounts when the need arises. :)

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
Correct we do not delete accounts, we can disable accounts when the need arises. :)

And by "disabling", what we do is alter any personal data associated with the account. (Change the password, email address, etc...)

Please be aware that you as a user can do this yourself if you no longer wish to visit the forum.

Offline christarzan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »
[at] Melih

You can improve your vpn services and add more encryption and security features and compete with HidemyAss and collect no logs. This will do more to protect the privacy of users.

My thoughts.

There is already 'DeleteMe' service from Abine which does hopefully the same as this upcoming product.

https://www.abine.com/deleteme/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:13:21 PM by christarzan »

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »
it is a fact that allowing total privacy in any form of communication is a very dangerous thing.
This is the basic assumption of any dictatorship.
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there wasnt a phone...."

Offline ad18

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
Balancing security and privacy is challenging. The NSA goes to one extreme and collects everything it possibly can. :(

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
This is the basic assumption of any dictatorship.
No, it's an unfortunate consequence of the world we live in.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Online EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
No, it's an unfortunate consequence of the world we live in.
That' s a fatalistic point of view. No matter what technology allows us it is not what we should be doing.

May be we should volunteer our DNA and fingerprints to Google?  :o  88)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
Why do we make the assumption that technology advancement can only worsen privacy issues?

Why do we not accept that actually technology advancements can improve privacy issues?

Did the car safety got worse since 1950s? no! We travel faster and safer....

Do not believe what you are fed by the advertising world that you have to sacrifice your privacy to have technology.

Melih

Offline JoWa

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I believe in doubt.
    • Evolutionary history of life
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
May be we should volunteer our DNA and fingerprints to Google?  :o  88)
Fingerprints to Apple.
Ubuntu 17.04, 64-bit | Chrome 62β | HTTPS Everywhere | Privacy Badger
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline ad18

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
I don't think I will ever use the fingerprint feature on the iPhone. One big problem, your fingerprints are all over the phone. How does the fingerprint scanner actually provide security? Personally I will stick with the 4 digit PIN code. :)

Offline w-e-v

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • BETA FORCE MEMBER
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
Do not believe what you are fed by the advertising world that you have to sacrifice your privacy to have technology.

Melih

Interesting point of view. I am a fan of that believe, the more technology the less privacy.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek