Author Topic: Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test? [Resolved]  (Read 31975 times)

comicfan2000

Re: [RESOLVED]Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 05:31:30 AM »
Thank You comicfan2000,

What? Lets be friends.

I appreciate your response but I do not think it was necessary nor appropriate for you to respond for someone else. It is never a good idea. However, since you did, I would appreciate your candor regarding any or all of the concerns that I have brought up while waiting for a response from Kail. I hope you are not offended.  None of some users' concerns are new or unknown issues. These concerns are being actively addressed by COMODO but I may have mistakenly understood.

Peace

Peace and what exactly was it you quoted?

Peace out -  I assumed we all wanted the same protection.

Well, no offense taken but allow me this...the forums are open to whoever wants to respond. This is the way it's set up and there are no rules on who can or cannot respond regardless if someone thinks otherwise. <unless Dean Kelly of course ;)> I say this because there is no hushing users up in the forum and just want to state this so you or others know as well. While courtesy needs place here, I agree but it's not always going to happen.<And no, I don't assume you meant this but felt a good time to say such in this particular event.>

That said, I was not responding for anyone, I responded in hopes that this would refresh your memory and answer your question, it had nothing to do with Kail, he's a big boy and can handle his own without my need to jump in. I was not even taking sides or anything of the sort. As a moderator, if I see a question, I answer it or help, this is what I do.

I am not offended either and like I stated, I remembered our conversation and thought it would be helpful to bring this back into light is all. I am sorry you took it as you did but rest assured, I wasn't taking sides or coming to anyone's rescue here. Just trying to answer a question. So no harm done, I am not offended, I have a mother in law and I am becoming immune rather quickly.  ;)

Paul

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »
It is as Paul says, CPF blocks PC Flank in a way that the developers of PC Flank never envisaged. PC Flank does not know, and cannot know, it has been blocked. The PC Flank test judges itself successful if it succeeds is sending an open MSIE window a message without error. This is why the impossible happens & it also succeeds when you're off-line (it doesn't know what MSIE did or didn't do with the message). After all, as PC Flanks says, it is only deemed successful if it manages to return the test string to its site. CPF alerts the user when MSIE attempts to send the message. Why? Because MSIE has been sent a message by PC Flank & could have been compromised/subverted. CPF is merely way above PC Flanks head. It's not a deficiency of CPFs, leak plugging is one CPFs strengths.
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2006, 02:07:03 AM »
It is as Paul says, CPF blocks PC Flank in a way that the developers of PC Flank never envisaged. PC Flank does not know, and cannot know, it has been blocked. The PC Flank test judges itself successful if it succeeds is sending an open MSIE window a message without error. This is why the impossible happens & it also succeeds when you're off-line (it doesn't know what MSIE did or didn't do with the message). After all, as PC Flanks says, it is only deemed successful if it manages to return the test string to its site. CPF alerts the user when MSIE attempts to send the message. Why? Because MSIE has been sent a message by PC Flank & could have been compromised/subverted. CPF is merely way above PC Flanks head. It's not a deficiency of CPFs, leak plugging is one CPFs strengths.

kail,

Thank you for your answer. It is very much appreciated.

Are you saying that of the Firewalls that pass this test with a "drip-less faucet" never envisioned how this particular test is supposed to be passed?

Furthermore, can any CPF user expect to surf the Internet after "passing" this test with CPF's definition of successfully passing this test?

On a final note, can you please explain what is meant when you said "CPF is merely way above PC Flanks head."?

comicfan2000

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 02:13:43 AM »
kail,

Thank you for your answer. It is very much appreciated.

Are you saying that of the Firewalls that pass this test with a "drip-less faucet" never envisioned how this particular test is supposed to be passed?

Furthermore, can any CPF user expect to surf the Internet after "passing" this test with CPF's definition of successfully passing this test?

On a final note, can you please explain what is meant when you said "CPF is merely way above PC Flanks head."?

Must.....resist......urge........to ...........answer................

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 02:29:06 AM »
Must.....resist......urge........to ...........answer................
comicfan2000,

So, I'm getting to the age where drip-less is important. I did imply in another post something to the effect that this issue will pop up again and again.

If COMODO deals with it; CPF's handling of the test will never arise again. Non-issues are like that.

comicfan2000

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 02:36:10 AM »
comicfan2000,

So, I'm getting to the age where drip-less is important. I did imply in another post something to the effect that this issue will pop up again and again.

If COMODO deals with it; CPF's handling of the test will never arise again. Non-issues are like that.

You know, you are as strange as Aowl only without the sense of humor.  ;) :D But to the point, is it Comodo's  responsibility to deal with their  leaky faucet? The test is very misleading and that's not because of CPF, I didn't like it anyway. I do see your point but I think PCflunk needs to be more precise . As well, I emailed them numerous times and have been completely ignored. They won't answer about that test for the life of them which makes me question them even more. I say, get a plumber darn it!

Paul

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2006, 11:32:34 AM »
munckman

Sorry for the delayed reply.

What I meant by this is that CPF blocks MSIE from sending PC Flanks message. PC Flank only envisages that it can be blocked when it attempts to pass the message to MSIE (which I assume like the other Firewalls you've tested), not that MSIE itself could be blocked from sending the message (which is what CPF does).

Bottom line: There is no problem with CPF in this regard, the fact the PC Flank does not detect it has been stopped by CPF is an issue for the Developers of PC Flank, not Comodo.
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2006, 03:47:20 AM »
comicfan2000,

You know, you are as strange as Aowl only without the sense of humor.  ;) :D
I'll take that as a compliment. Did you just dis Aowl? 

But to the point, is it Comodo's  responsibility to deal with their  leaky faucet? The test is very misleading and that's not because of CPF, I didn't like it anyway.
I do think it is Comodo's responsibility also.

I do see your point but I think PCflunk needs to be more precise . As well, I emailed them numerous times and have been completely ignored. They won't answer about that test for the life of them which makes me question them even more. I say, get a plumber darn it!

I believe I have also been ignored. I hope that  CPF  will address this and the other issues in the upcoming 3.0. I do not believe it is the "Plumbers" responsibility but I do think it is the "Firemens."

To me Drip-less means that there are no drips. Either CPF  gets no drips or it gets drips. Please no in-be-tweens. It has been alluded to that CPF will include a sandbox. Hopefully with this particular addition , this issue will not pop-up again.

I hope that I'm not misunderstood because we all want the best.

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 04:03:16 AM »
munckman

Sorry for the delayed reply.

What I meant by this is that CPF blocks MSIE from sending PC Flanks message. PC Flank only envisages that it can be blocked when it attempts to pass the message to MSIE (which I assume like the other Firewalls you've tested), not that MSIE itself could be blocked from sending the message (which is what CPF does).

Bottom line: There is no problem with CPF in this regard, the fact the PC Flank does not detect it has been stopped by CPF is an issue for the Developers of PC Flank, not Comodo.
Kail, I must be thick as a brick, but ... can any CPF user expect to surf the Internet after "passing" this test with CPF's definition of successfully passing this test? Please respond with yes or no. Just so it is easy for me to understand.

comicfan2000

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2006, 04:08:50 AM »
I'll take that as a compliment. Did you just dis Aowl? 
I do think it is Comodo's responsibility also.

I believe I have also been ignored. I hope that  CPF  will address this and the other issues in the upcoming 3.0. I do not believe it is the "Plumbers" responsibility but I do think it is the "Firemens."

To me Drip-less means that there are no drips. Either CPF  gets no drips or it gets drips. Please no in-be-tweens. It has been alluded to that CPF will include a sandbox. Hopefully with this particular addition , this issue will not pop-up again.

I hope that I'm not misunderstood because we all want the best.

First, yes i'm dissing Aowl.  ;D It wouldn't make my day if I didn't. As far as being a compliment well, you would have to discuss that with him. Kidding, he's good people. Seriously, I can't agree with it being CPF's responsibility for one main reason...

PCFlunk, can't specify if a leaky faucet or text not showing is passing. If they don't know, how can firewall makers know? It clearly states that if text not shown, this could mean your firewall has "SUCCESSFULLY BLOCKED" the attempt. Now, this to me means it the "passed". If it said, well your firewall sucks and may have blocked it, but by our standards it still failed,...even that would be more precise I think. I hope you see where i'm coming from. It's like saying, yes, your firewall blocked and passed but we are keeping a low tone since it wasn't OUR way. I can make you a faucet in Gimp if it'll at least ease your mind a bit  :D  Yes another excuse for me to do some graphics work. Then I can tell the wife i'm busy doing such and such...after 15 years, gotta have good excuses.  ;) OR> :Beer

It's strange the way they work it but yes I also see what you mean as well. However, should Comodo change their whole firewall on account of PCflunk not being specific? Go to shields up and using CPF I had passed saying my desktop was "unusually secure"  for windows desktop. I never got that until using CPF. Well, you can try it anyway, it's free. But I do see your point once again and hopefully this will all be put behind us one day. If PCflank considers anyone "good enought" to reply to.  >:( 

Paul  :Beer

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 04:30:33 AM »
comicfan2000,

As far as I can tell, we agree on many things. No buts. PCFlunk, pulease. :-(

comicfan2000

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2006, 05:28:33 AM »
comicfan2000,

As far as I can tell, we agree on many things. No buts. PCFlunk, pulease. :-(

LOL. I think it's their attention to customers (:TNG)  that draws me to them.  (:LGH) :D :D :D :D

Paul

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2006, 07:27:14 AM »
Kail, I must be thick as a brick, but ... can any CPF user expect to surf the Internet after "passing" this test with CPF's definition of successfully passing this test? Please respond with yes or no. Just so it is easy for me to understand.

Sorry I can't.. I'm must be the brick this time.. I don't understand your question. Did you transpose CPF & PC Flank? BUT.. after running any leaktest, then you really should reboot to clean-up any temporary blocks that your firewall might have created & to get the leaktest to release whatever it hooked into (some leaktests inject or hook DLLs to other programs).
Forum Policy.
____

Offline AOwL

• Comodo SuperHero
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Firewall Pro - Be safe, use protection...
    • NordicNatureMedia
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2006, 09:03:32 AM »

In help text's of leaktest's they always recommend you to reboot your computer.

If you mean general use of CPF, I would answer YES! ;D

Do you have a better choice?

It does PASS the test and not "pass" as you write it. ;)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek