Author Topic: Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test? [Resolved]  (Read 31978 times)

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 03:15:57 PM »
So what you are saying is, Comodo didn't have any pop up asking to allow IE at all? Not PCflank but IE as a parent? Also when you run PCflank and it asks to start IE, CPF didn't pop up a notification?

Thanks,

Paul

That is exactly correct.  I have now run the test 5 times in 2 days and tha date got sent each time.  This time, I wrote down the steps as I did them verbatim. 

1.  I clicked on download of the PC flank
2.  I clicked run...My HIPS program (Online Armor) asked me if I wanted to allow the leak test to run and I allowed it.
3.  I clicked next
4.  The program asked me to type sopme data, I typed "Comodo-2"
5.  I clicked next
6.  PC flank then tells me that my firewall leaked.  See results below.

24.125.10.57 Sep 23, 2006 19:09:42 GMT Comodo-2
24.125.10.57 Sep 22, 2006 20:11:05 GMT For Paul -9-22-06
24.125.10.57 Sep 22, 2006 19:12:12 GMT Comodo
24.125.10.57 Sep 22, 2006 18:44:49 GMT biged
24.125.10.57 May 22, 2006 19:40:12 GMT GMP

Do you think I have a rule configured that could be causing the leak?  Or do you think i need to edit my registry?

Looking forward to your input.  Thank you so much :)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:31:27 PM by comicfan2000 »

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone interested in seeing what the test result looks like when a firewall passes, according to PC Flank, can see it at Wilders evidently. http://65.175.38.194/showthread.php?s=295baca27617f20dc4fd90dc76701f30&t=147922

comicfan2000

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 03:25:31 PM »
I have a "guess" here. Online Armor would have to be allowed through CPF correct? So basically, other tests, etc..will tunnel through OA and bypass CPF. This makes perfect sense. In a way it's a conflict of a sort as OA is basically a firewall and no 2 firewalls should be run. I would suspect to truly try Comodo, disable OA uninstall\reinstall CPF and let it be the ONLY one running. I would then bet that CPF will detect PCflank. Since OA is what is detecting and is the main program, it will decide what to do leaving CPF behind.

Cheers,

Paul

comicfan2000

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 03:34:56 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone interested in seeing what the test result looks like when a firewall passes, according to PC Flank, can see it at Wilders evidently. http://65.175.38.194/showthread.php?s=295baca27617f20dc4fd90dc76701f30&t=147922

I would wonder what they use to disable the OLE in windows since this is what has to be done. Stopping communication between a program and IE is what needs to be done to properly succeed this. The problem? Some decent programs need this as they don't have their own way to check their server so use OLE to do so. By denying all OLEs many programs may not be able to communicate with their server\maker. I can disable OLE automation right now and get that box, the problem? I have a few programs that use this and need it to communicate. As long as a program communicates with IE, it's considered failed. IE is part of Windows, not web based, OLE is part of windows by default. Either way, I believe PCflank is misleading but that's my opinion. Thanks for the info.  ;)

Paul

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »
This issue has been RESOLVED in the latest update of Comodo (2.3.6.81).

I now completely pass the PC Flank leak test. 

Kudos to the development staff for the prompt support. 

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 06:19:34 PM »
This issue has been RESOLVED in the latest update of Comodo (2.3.6.81).

I now completely pass the PC Flank leak test. 

Kudos to the development staff for the prompt support. 

You can amend your initial posts title & append [RESOLVED] to it.
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline sharketor

Re: [RESOLVED]Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test?
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »
I don't pass the test. Where is the problem?

Offline Bluesman

• Comodo's Hero
  • Only Amiga Makes It Possible
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 02:20:17 PM »
I don't pass the test. Where is the problem?
And what happen? What are you doing? (give us more information how you perform the test)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline sharketor

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »
Double click on pcflankleaktest.exe, start iexplorer, write a phrase, click next and a popup saying the test failed appears....... ??? What is wrong?????

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:55 PM »
Double click on pcflankleaktest.exe, start iexplorer, write a phrase, click next and a popup saying the test failed appears....... ??? What is wrong?????

PC Flank always claims it has succeeded when it manages to pass its message to MSIE. But, MSIE needs to get that message to PC Flank's web site for its test to succeed. Did you check PC Flanks web site to see if your message string got there or did CPF pop-up & warn you?

Don't believe me? Simple test. Run the test off-line. Still says it worked right?
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline sharketor

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 08:45:09 PM »
Well, when I click to see the string on its site, comodo alerts me with a popup and if I don't allow, the page doesn't load. In other words, this test is a "ciofeca", just as we italian say.....a fake in english....

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 09:13:54 PM »
Well, when I click to see the string on its site, comodo alerts me with a popup and if I don't allow, the page doesn't load. In other words, this test is a "ciofeca", just as we italian say.....a fake in english....

No, I wouldn't say that. PC Flank is a genuine leaktest & a valid one. It's just a little optimistic about claiming success.
Forum Policy.
____

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 03:25:43 AM »
No, I wouldn't say that. PC Flank is a genuine leaktest & a valid one. It's just a little optimistic about claiming success.
OK Kail I'll bite:

Kail, Please include a screen shot of CPF passing the PC Flank leak Test.

Kail, Please help to put an end to the hype (killing the internet connection doesn't count).

Kail, When will CPF deal with its' own OLE deficiencies?

Kail, Please be the First to explain.

Kail, I do like CPF.

Kail, Peace Out.

comicfan2000

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 03:46:28 AM »
OK Kail I'll bite:

Kail, Please include a screen shot of CPF passing the PC Flank leak Test.

Kail, Please help to put an end to the hype (killing the internet connection doesn't count).

Kail, When will CPF deal with its' own OLE deficiencies?

Kail, Please be the First to explain.

Kail, I do like CPF.

Kail, Peace Out.

Perhaps you remember this from an earlier post.

<<Hi, I will give you my take as I have others. With OLE automation, an application such as PCFlank test is basing this on communicating with IE. Now, keep in mind, OLE is integrated into windows for applications that cannot\don't have and ability to connect to their server on their own. Not all are bad and many may be needed. IE is not a WEB BASED browser, IE is also integrated into Windows, being a part of. So in fact, when this occurs and PCflank communicates with IE, it's communicating on the OS level, not internet. You would in fact have to disable OLE automation all together. So what PCFlank is saying, because there was communication from two OS based beings, it has failed. Now, I have unhooked my pc altogether, ran the test, still said info was sent. Obviously it wasn't , so , is this a bit misleading?

Please read what it says on the site,

If your text is not shown, you either didn't take the test, your previous IP address was different from your current one or your firewall successfully prevented the leak of data

This does not state you should see the box stating it passed. I have emailed them a couple of times waiting for a reply on how they consider a firewall leaky when PCflank uses a natural OLE automation that any application can use, no word back and it's been quite some time, hmmm. When I get info, I am making a post  for others to read.

I wonder, when I click on the IE icon, that is communication with the browser telling it to open. Is this a leak as well?

I understand your thoughts on this and very good questions  Wink but just something to keep in mind and perhaps this issue will get ironed out soon, many have wondered the same.

Take care,

Paul>>

Your reply...

<<comicfan2000,

Thanks for explanation. I understand. I don't think the test will be changed when there are now 2 firewalls that pass with a drip-less faucet. This is where it becomes difficult to understand. You have pointed out, quite correctly, three scenarios of test results. There is a fourth, which is a flat out pass.

I agree that Comodo does not pass text info to the webpage. Therefore, it should be conclude that it passed the test. To remove all doubts and confusion among users who compare differences in various firewalls, Comodo should achieved a drip-less faucet. It would take all needed explanations off the table and become a nonissue.

We both agree that Comodo successfully prevented the leak of data. It's just that there will always be needed explanations as to why it doesn't show it like "X firewall" does.>>

Ok based on this, it's simple to answer your question. There are more than one method to stopping an application from sending to the internet. One, stopping OLE , which I don't like since some applications need this, 2, preventing it at the browser access level, which is what CPF does but not defined by PCflank.
I quote once again from the site...<<<If your text is not shown, you either didn't take the test, your previous IP address was different from your current one or your firewall successfully prevented the leak of data>>> It doesn't specify you having to see a faucet. This is why I don't like PCflank testing.

I hope this helps a bit anyway, back to coffee....

Paul

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 04:58:42 AM »

Perhaps you remember this from an earlier post.

Your reply...

Ok based on this, it's simple to answer your question. There are more than one method to stopping an application from sending to the internet. One, stopping OLE , which I don't like since some applications need this, 2, preventing it at the browser access level, which is what CPF does but not defined by PCflank.
I quote once again from the site...<<<If your text is not shown, you either didn't take the test, your previous IP address was different from your current one or your firewall successfully prevented the leak of data>>> It doesn't specify you having to see a faucet. This is why I don't like PCflank testing.

I hope this helps a bit anyway, back to coffee....

Paul

Thank You comicfan2000,

What? Lets be friends.

I appreciate your response but I do not think it was necessary nor appropriate for you to respond for someone else. It is never a good idea. However, since you did, I would appreciate your candor regarding any or all of the concerns that I have brought up while waiting for a response from Kail. I hope you are not offended.  None of some users' concerns are new or unknown issues. These concerns are being actively addressed by COMODO but I may have mistakenly understood.

Peace

Peace and what exactly was it you quoted?

Peace out -  I assumed we all wanted the same protection.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek