Author Topic: [merged]Comodo vs. Avast vs. Avira vs. 10 000 malware(On-demand scan test)  (Read 48653 times)

Offline acafacaa

Re: Comodo vs. Avast vs. Avira vs. 10 000 malware(On-demand scan test)
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
see...end user's tests are most important tests! Afterall, you experience it all yourself.

and thats just detection....which has nothing to do with our "protection" capability. (just like you can't measure the speed of an airplane with a speedometer from a car...you can't measure the "protection" capability of CIS with "detection" tests).

So good test for checking "detection" capability...but this is not "protection" for Comodo..but it is "protection" in the main, for other AVs.  So not only has CAV done better at "protecting" the "Detection" way....it also has other layers of protection like "default deny with automatic sandboxing"....

thank you.

Melih

It's real pleasure to be te part of this forum,expecially because the first Comodo man Melih is always here to answer and to talk to us,like every other member of this forum :)
That's very nice from you Melih.
In this my test,I did't want to send a message "hey this is the best AV because it had the highest detection ratio in 10 000 malware detection test",because I know that the highest detection rate doesn't mean that AV is the best.As you said Comodo has lines of protections that other AV's does not have.Detection ratio is one of the most important line of protection for the most Av,but not the most important.
The most important is how AV blocks unknown malware.
And Comodo was very close to Avira in this on-demand scan test,and I think that's another very important thing for Comodo,but again,not the most important  8)

Offline jj1two3

• Comodo Member
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
Count me in as one of your new subscribers also acafacaa. I enjoyed your videos.   ;D

jj

Offline morphiusz

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Suspicious file?
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »
Me 2.
I subscribed you.
And some of reviewers use proces explorer to watch what is going on in the system.
Killswitch is much, much better, you can see malware processes, and this is the same like PE.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
thank you guys!

the world needs us all to spread the word about how to protect themselves!

We have to protect the Internet! its going to benefit the human race at levels we have never seen before.

thanks

melih

Offline mikaelrask

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
nothing bad but you could not compare thoose three like that. if you had use the full version of avast and avira and compard thoose to Comodo then i think you get diffrent result. sens avast free and avira free don't  have a firewall and sandbox like the Comodo free has. that you only get from the payed verion of avast and avira minus the sandbox for avira.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:33:32 PM by mikaelrask »
Intel core2 CPU 6300 [at] 1,63Hz, 1,0 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS,CIS Free ,MBAB, XP Media Centre Edition, SP 3, 250 GB hard disk. Opera

Offline davidepi

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
nothing bad but you could not compare thoose three like that. if you had use the full version of avast and avira and compard thoose to Comodo then i think you get diffrent result. sens avast free and avira free don't  have a firewall and sandbox like the Comodo free has. that you only get from the payed verion of avast and avira minus the sandbox for avira.

He tested only the on demand scanning capabilities of the three antivirus, the test has nothing to do with firewall and sandbox.

Offline Whoop-dee-doo

• Cave Dweller
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • What are you staring at?
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
So why did Comodo miss a bunch of malware on the first scan, but detected them on the second scan?

Is this because some of the undetected files were sent to the cloud during the first scan, and by the time of the second scan, the cloud query results were available for the second scan?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:40:13 PM by Whoop-dee-doo »
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." - Linus Pauling   :-La 

"Don't find fault. Find a remedy." - Henry Ford

Offline cheater87

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
So why did Comodo miss a bunch of malware on the first scan, but detected them on the second scan?

Is this because some of the undetected files were sent to the cloud during the first scan, and by the time of the second scan, the cloud query results were available for the second scan?

It looks like that to me. But that's pretty fast to be added. Was the second detection done through the cloud or something after the first scan?

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »

That must have been the result of the automatic submission of unknown files and in second instance most likely the result of the cloud look up of the AV.

Offline Whoop-dee-doo

• Cave Dweller
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • What are you staring at?
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
That must have been the result of the automatic submission of unknown files and in second instance most likely the result of the cloud look up of the AV.

Perhaps CIS should keep an internal list of unknown files that were sent to the cloud during a manual or scheduled scan. When the cloud has returned a verdict for all those files, it should automatically pop-up the "scan results" window stating "During your previous antivirus scan, unknown files were submitted to the cloud. Of those submitted files, the following files were found to be malicious."

It is inefficient to require the user to conduct a whole second scan to detect files that were submitted to the cloud.
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." - Linus Pauling   :-La 

"Don't find fault. Find a remedy." - Henry Ford

Offline sybn

• Comodo Member
Re: [merged]Comodo vs. Avast vs. Avira vs. 10 000 malware(On-demand scan test)
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
those test are barely useless, for testing COMODO as suite, if comodo was a traditional AV it would be awesome since it can outperform old competitors, but none can detect all viruses, its impossible, if you execute a single one that is not detected your pc is compromised with any software except comodo that put the file into a sandbox...

Offline Lasse88

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »
Why do everyone say tests is useless as soon it's on-demand?

We clearly agree that it's the real-time that's the most important so malware that tries to run will be detected, and that malware that isn't running can't do damage to the computer, so it doesn't really matter if they get detected as long they are inactive.

But that doesn't mean on-demand is useless, and even though inactive malware doesn't damage the computer, i'm sure people would rather have it wasn't on their computer anyway. (unless you collect malware of course)

And what if you lend an USB, or have used your USB on another computer? Or if a friend send you a file, or you download something. I really prefer to be able to run a AV to scan those things, no matter how good the real-time and Defense+ is.

So ya isn't it better to catch someone before they are trying to do a crime? rather then when they are trying to do a crime?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
"It is better not to speak and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
"I Reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »
So ya isn't it better to catch someone before they are trying to do a crime? rather then when they are trying to do a crime?

Thats called "Day Zero" protection....and Comodo does that really really well with "Auto sandboxing".

Please understand: In general, legacy based AV products "start" detecting the malware "after" the "crime" is "committed" on some poor victim(s)!

Melih

Offline Umairee95

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
Comodo, Avira and Avast are all excellent at detecting and crushing malware, but Avast definitely has a more advanced scanning engine. I myself conducted a thorough, comprehensive research on the similar topic a few days back.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »
Comodo, Avira and Avast are all excellent at detecting and crushing malware, but Avast definitely has a more advanced scanning engine. I myself conducted a thorough, comprehensive research on the similar topic a few days back.

I don't see Comodo being analyzed in this link? Can you please share with us the Comodo analysis please?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek