Comodo Internet Security and government infiltration

I did some reading today about the global surveillance disclosures which began in 2013 and which are still ongoing. I started thinking about what possibility there is for a government to get around Comodo Internet Security’s default settings. Right now I’m using version 7.x. I’m wondering how Comodo Internet Security would do against an attack through the Internet or if something were planted directly onto a computer which was running Comodo Internet Security. I don’t know if any of this has been discussed on the forum before or not.

There is no government malware that we know of. According to the CEO Melih there are no government backdoors in the program:

That being said NSA does have an undisclosed set of exploits for various products.

If the NSA or CIA wanted to bypass Comodo (I doubt it) then they could do it in seconds! However, going after home users is costly and is probably reserved for organized criminals, gangs and other dangerous countries who sponsor terrorists etc., little me and you mean nothing to them, unless they want to read my research thesis.

If there was a backdoor in Comodo Melih would not inform everyone via the forum

I believe every company except Kaspersky and Quihoo is compromised by the NSA. Kaspersky is Russian and Quihoo is Chinese so they aren’t exposed, but any other company is exposed and probably has high level backdoors for the NSA.

That said the NSA is there to protect the terrorists(in government) who use the minor terror threat as a justification to take away hard earned rights over the past thousand of years all in order for the elites in power to have even more power and the private federal reserve bank in the USA to keep operating criminally under the radar.

They are subject of regular law enforcement who need to get regular search warrants.

and other dangerous countries who sponsor terrorists etc., little me and you mean nothing to them, unless they want to read my research thesis.
The latter is public anyway? These organisations are very powerful and are under very limited checks. That type of power could be easily abused by employees with ulterior motives. NSA at one point commercially sold results of their data mining. Since they are under limited surveillance themselves who knows what to expect...

It’s not unreasonable to want to have control what goes on behind the virtual front door. We have a right to privacy. How would we know if government is illegitamately spying if we don’t have the tools to find out? It all boils down to how much an individual trust or does not trust a government. In criminal law we are not obliged to cooperate to things that could get us convicted so why should we not empower ourselves with good security to not cooperate with a government that some choose not to trust?

Under what law would that be? I am just curious.

I don’t know, but what law did the NSA use… they acted alone and against their own people!

That’s very true about Kaspersky, Russia hates America

I’m not surprised nor did I think that there was any government backdoor in Comodo Internet Security. I was just curious as to how easy it would be for a government to bypass Comodo Internet Security on its default settings. I’m also curious how easy it would be for them to do so if the maximum security settings were used. Also, by “government” I wasn’t referring to only the United States government. I was referring to any government.

Very easy for any government.

As I always say, if you have got nothing to hide/doing nothing wrong then who cares. It’s good in a way as criminals, terrorists etc., can be caught.

• attack through the internet: various methods possible, most of them being in use, for sure
  • something planted directly onto a computer running CIS: then you might be “lost” even somewhat more, in addition to the aforementioned state
  • and yes, it’s been discussed somewhat seldomly here, 'cause of being a somewhat uncomfortable thingie, meguess.

Ah yes, and the undisclosed exploits, of course, but I don’t really think they’re too much needed anyway.
Btw. you don’t even really need to use “malware” if you’re in almost total control of the internet, right? :wink:
“According to Melih”… well, then all is fine, dear mate. Still, while good ol’ trusted friend Melih may be Comodo, he’s certainly not the internet, get the difference? … :slight_smile:

You “doubt it”? Even if Comodo might not be in their Top 10 to-do-list, they’re surely interested in any kind of “easy access”, as has already been proven by the past.

“going after home users is costly and is probably reserved for organized criminals, gangs and other dangerous countries who sponsor terrorists etc., little me and you mean nothing to them”

Ok… Can you prove that? :wink: If yes, do so, please. :slight_smile:

That’s quite possible, but not necessarily because of him (am I right, Melih?), but rather: even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t be allowed to do so.

Kaspersky might not be under US governmental pressure, right. Maybe they’re better to be labeled / filed under pressure.ru?
“Quihoo is Chinese”. Oh, no pressure then for sure. Thanks for letting us know. :wink:

“but any other company is exposed and probably has high level backdoors for the NSA”
Even if I’m not totally agreeing with you (there’s more countries on planet earth than those belonging to the USA, Russia and China - believe it or not), i don’t - on the other hand - totally disagree with you.

“the NSA is there to protect the terrorists(in government) who use the minor terror threat as a justification to take away hard earned rights over the past thousand of years all in order for the elites in power to have even more power and…”

Sorry, but that’s a bit too much politically coloured in my opinion (being true or not). Create a new thread on that, if you feel like that (and if being allowed to do so). :wink:

“It’s not unreasonable to want to have control what goes on behind the virtual front door. We have a right to privacy. How would we know if government is illegitamately spying if we don’t have the tools to find out?”

• For whom the first sentence? User or intruder?
  • And yes, we - should - have a right to privacy. Still, there is not such a thing in these days.
  • Do we have the tools to find out? You really think so?

“It all boils down to how much an individual trust or does not trust a government.”

To be true, the very same could be said about any Software Company on planet earth.

“so why should we not empower ourselves with good security to not cooperate with a government that some choose not to trust?
Under what law would that be? I am just curious.”

I’m curious as well, trust me. But I’ve read many times about US legislative power forcing SW Companies to collaborate in governmental spying. Against the will of the majority of US citizens, by the way. In China it is not even allowed to talk such things. Government is in almost total control there. Now, what beautiful state of existance and what a perfect achievement, umm?

I’m rather sure there’s existing US legislation orders. Some US residing people at this very forum should know way better than me, though.

Kaspersky’s firewall isn’t even worth a bad laugh at the moment.

And rightly so. “Any Government” could and probably will be interested in such tactics. Still, using the Internet will inevitably expose you to someone out there. And no one out there will ever care about your “privacy”, rest assured… sorry.

Indeed, very easy and done daily.
I sincerely hope that your last sentence was to be meant in an ironical sense. If not, I’d rather call it a death sentence (in a metaphorical way).

Whatever…
Kind Regards, REBOL. :slight_smile:

Kaspersky’s firewall comes 3rd in Matousec tests so it must be very good - Melih keeps stating this site for Comodo’s firewall.

No, I do nothing wrong online, others do i.e., child abuse etc., so I have nothing to hide so it doesn’t bother me at all.

For criminals we don’t need that type of extensive spying

terrorists etc., can be caught.
That remains to be seen. The surveillance programs have yielded close to nothing. It even made a US High Court judge make comments about it.

The fact that you are linking two separate and vastly different fields under one banner is worrying. It means that you are susceptible to scare mongering tactics. Not something that would make me trust you as a psychiatrist. Your bottom comes up too quickly for my taste.

What you look up and what sites you visit may reflect your personal situation. Illnesses mental or physical. You may look up information on STD’s, visit sites about financial problems, visit gamble sites…etc… Does your government need to know all this all the time? The current government may not care about it another one may…

How would you feel if they would breach without warrant your patient’s case files? These people have nothing to hide according to you so just throw Hippocrates oath through the window? Could I see your medical file and read your file on your learning therapy if I could break in on the computers keeping those? You wouldn’t care because you have nothing to hide?

I wouldn’t answer the forum as “no backdoor” either :wink:

Pardon me, but you’re not that right with your assumption, at least in my opinion. EricJH explained it rather convincingly, I think.

You’ve been using the words “terrorists”, “criminals” and “child abuse”. Those are somewhat “strong” words, of course. So you really think only those kind of people you’ve mentioned are in need of a 100 percent “working” firewall?

Thanks, Eric. Wise words by an (almost :azn: ) wise moderator. :wink:

So we would know. 8)
Thanks, Melih. :-TU

Lying is such a mess, especially by means of US law (of course). :slight_smile:

Have to quote this once more:

Well, even the Beatles proved you wrong as early as 1968, Lennon’s lyrics somewhat remind me of your words:

“Everybody’s got something to hide except me & my monkey”

Come on, it's such a joy Come on, let's take it easy Everybody's got something to hide Except for me and my monkey

The deeper you go the higher you fly
The higher you fly the deeper you go
So come on, come on

Your inside is out when your outside is in
Your outside is in when your inside is out
So come on, come on

Make it easy
Take it easy
Everybody’s got something to hide
Except for me and my monkey
Come on, come on, come on…

Great ol’ song, by the way, imho. :slight_smile:

And, come on… let’s be honest: :a0

If you REALLY got NOTHING TO HIDE at all, you don’t really need such a thing as a firewall nor any other product being offered by COMODO (for free) et altera (mostly paid) at all. Well…

Just a thought. !ot!

REBOL. :slight_smile:

I think this has been an interesting conversation. MorphOS REBOL, what about if someone has their website account passwords saved on their computer? I wouldn’t want any malware getting onto my computer and obtaining that information.

I still didn’t get any answer to this !!!
Silence also gives answers
:-TD :-TD :-TD
https://forums.comodo.com/general-security-questions-and-comments/has-comodo-got-this-letter-or-did-it-publish-any-public-statement-t99361.0.html;msg718264#msg718264

Give 'em some time to answer, please.

I am rather sure, there will be answers. :slight_smile:

Eagerly awaiting them myself. :wink:

Kind regards, REBOL.

No answers yet. :-X

So what do you think they do with US software :slight_smile:

Let me guess: they use most of it for painting flowers and butterflies? :-X