Author Topic: Korugan Countdown!  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Budda

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Korugan Countdown!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
So after waiting for more information I decided I would go over to https://korugan.com and dig up what I could on my own and redistribute it here with a good majority of the marketing mobo jumbo removed. This information could be outdated at any time as this product may be in active development but here we go.

Korugan UTM is a physical security appliance that comes in two form factors with a desktop (think Cisco ASA 5505) unit and rack mountable 1U unit.  The number of ports, quality and speed are dependent on which of the six units purchased. As far as I can discern there are no software module offering differences in any Korugan category which is very nice to see; regardless of which Korugan unit you have your options remain the same.  All software is under a single license that includes all firmware and signature updates that can be purchased in 1, 2 and 3 year periods.

Summarized Korugan Features
  • Gateway Comodo AV
  • Web Filtering (powered by CYREN, HTTP & HTTPS filtering)
  • Firewall (SIP, Policies, AD and LDAP Integration)
  • Intrusion Detection/Prevention System (SNORT based)
  • Traffic Shaping (QoS)
  • Networking (Vlans, Zones, DHCP, ACLs)
  • VPN (SSL VPN, L2PT and IPSec)
  • Internal and External Logging
  • Anti-Spam (SpamAssassin, Greylisting, File ACL)
  • Hot Spot (Captivate Portal)

Overall these features are nice to have in one device/GUI to manage. Because this is a new product and I haven't physically played with a unit my opinions cannot be fully formed.  My first impression comes as this devices looks to be an embedded Linux distribution integrating many standard open source products into a single functional unit with some Comodo functionality added. From the Admin Manual I find that this product reminds me closely of other all in one/dedicated linux distributions such as Untangled, ClearOS and PFSense. As the UTM security market is already saturated with competition Korugan is going to be hard pressed to find a niche it can carve out and I believe will be fully dependent on their support, pricing and user experience.

Personally I find myself initially being underwhelmed. I'd have hoped rather than taking to a FOSS/added features approach to the UTM device Korugan would have come out swinging as a fully feature product incorporating a higher degree of Comodo's technologies. This isn't to imply that Korugan doesn't fulfill a need in the market overall but it would be nice to finally have one box to rule them all. There are still tons of questions that need to be answered and hopefully time will let us know how this plays out.

All the information and reading I took from the FAQ, Admin Manual and brochures.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:30:27 PM by Budda »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »
you haven't listed the most important patented comodo feature that will differentiate Korugan ;)

Offline Budda

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »
Which would be?

The best I can see that I've left off from the website itself are:

• One year free of Comodo ESM
  • Korugan ATP

Of these two, ESM is its own product and the Korugan ATP would simply be CIS sandbox technology already installed on the clients machine? Either there are components not listed or I'm not catching your reference.  As an IT consultant for SMB I'm trying to see where this product would fit in my day to day operations compared to other products on the market today beyond it being "Simpler. Stronger. Faster."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:46:04 PM by Budda »

Offline w-e-v

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • BETA FORCE MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 12:34:06 AM »
you haven't listed the most important patented comodo feature that will differentiate Korugan ;)

Come on Bulut, you have a pending answer to give to your Boss and to your Users.  ;D

Offline Mark1

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:48 AM »
I know SNORT is one of the "open source proud and joy" but from my personal experience with UTM-NGF (smb, enterprise) it's kinda OK until there is lot of traffic for analysis and some attacks that are occurring. Then you better have strong HW in your UTM or it's gonna burst like a popcorn. That's one of the reason SNORT based solutions are not in serious business (PaloAlto and similar).
Stormshield has figured this out very well http://stormshield.hu/application-ips-technology/

How are you planing to solve distributions of the Korugan ?
Any more info on prices and other support ?

Offline bulut

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
Which would be?

The best I can see that I've left off from the website itself are:

• One year free of Comodo ESM
  • Korugan ATP

Of these two, ESM is its own product and the Korugan ATP would simply be CIS sandbox technology already installed on the clients machine? Either there are components not listed or I'm not catching your reference.  As an IT consultant for SMB I'm trying to see where this product would fit in my day to day operations compared to other products on the market today beyond it being "Simpler. Stronger. Faster."

Come on Bulut, you have a pending answer to give to your Boss and to your Users.  ;D

Well stated! So there is no reason to talk about why signature-based defense is no longer sufficient right ?
What about virtualization on network edge ? Let's say you can run 8-16 images for making behavorial analysis on a near-realtime like basis with no asynchronous working mode in a way everything gets intercepted, what would you think of it ?
Well personally speaking that should NOT be enough    :)

Offline Budda

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »
Four months after the announcement we have the same amount of information/progress we started with. As an enterprise product the ball has been dropped here. It would have been better to not prematurely announce the product until it is ready rather than build the hype with unfulfilled expectations and lack of communication.

If a business can expect this level of support with Korugan I would recommend my SMB's to invest in another product.

Offline bulut

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 04:02:41 AM »
Four months after the announcement we have the same amount of information/progress we started with. As an enterprise product the ball has been dropped here. It would have been better to not prematurely announce the product until it is ready rather than build the hype with unfulfilled expectations and lack of communication.

If a business can expect this level of support with Korugan I would recommend my SMB's to invest in another product.

Budda, we have a big thing coming, and as expected this big paradigm changers a.k.a innovation needs some time to start spreading the word and create anticipation. Feel free to check, containment.comodo.com for getting an idea. We are planning a big launch this month. I guarantee you will love it!

Offline Budda

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 02:44:59 AM »
Not much fan fare has been made nor a public beta board yet but there is a downloadable VM you can spin up if interested found here: https://korugan.com/models.php <-next to View Pricing button.  The OVA file is about 1.4 GB in size.

So far so  :-\.  The gui is nice/easy and actually spinning up the VM in my Xenserver 6.5 wasn't problematic but that is where I am left.  I was able to remote into the gui at https://192.168.0.15:10443 and see various items.  My VM and Korugan did not recognize any of the nic's within the gui itself and thus left me not really able to do much in terms of testing.  See screen shots for further detail and I can upload any/all log files if I knew which ones you are after.

For those who don't want/can't to use the 192.168.0.0/24 block you can modify the ip settings via terminal/ssh (note I explored my options with the NIC problems before I did this).  The bonding/defined fun for the hard set ip is set in the /var/efw/ethernet/*.  Take a peak at how/what they define in these files and you can tinker past that.  Note you may have problems by doing as other configurations may not be automatically adjusted for you.  For terminal/SSH access username is "root" password is "comodo" both without the "" marks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bulut

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
Not much fan fare has been made nor a public beta board yet but there is a downloadable VM you can spin up if interested found here: https://korugan.com/models.php <-next to View Pricing button.  The OVA file is about 1.4 GB in size.

So far so  :-\.  The gui is nice/easy and actually spinning up the VM in my Xenserver 6.5 wasn't problematic but that is where I am left.  I was able to remote into the gui at https://192.168.0.15:10443 and see various items.  My VM and Korugan did not recognize any of the nic's within the gui itself and thus left me not really able to do much in terms of testing.  See screen shots for further detail and I can upload any/all log files if I knew which ones you are after.

For those who don't want/can't to use the 192.168.0.0/24 block you can modify the ip settings via terminal/ssh (note I explored my options with the NIC problems before I did this).  The bonding/defined fun for the hard set ip is set in the /var/efw/ethernet/*.  Take a peak at how/what they define in these files and you can tinker past that.  Note you may have problems by doing as other configurations may not be automatically adjusted for you.  For terminal/SSH access username is "root" password is "comodo" both without the "" marks.

Hi Budda,

With Virtualbox and VMware you will experience smoother operation. Xen is a case we are working on still as we speak.

Meanhile specifically for Xen case you can try following:
Remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
and reboot
And check, then you can manually configure your NICs via Vim on /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 as an example for eth0 .

Check here again, we are replicating your issue as we speak.

Offline Budda

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Good day Bulut,

I've attempted setting my network settings the same way as you described with zero luck.  Setting both a dhcp and static address schemes for eth1 (wanted to leave eth0 alone as it is already pre-populated with an address) fails to result in an address for me on the nic itself after following the instructions you provided.

Beyond that I did spin up a Virtualbox VM on my PC and all these issues were indeed resolved.  I'll await to see what you guys come up with for the Xen setup so I can push this into a test production environment to properly evaluate it.

Offline bulut

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
Good day Bulut,

I've attempted setting my network settings the same way as you described with zero luck.  Setting both a dhcp and static address schemes for eth1 (wanted to leave eth0 alone as it is already pre-populated with an address) fails to result in an address for me on the nic itself after following the instructions you provided.

Beyond that I did spin up a Virtualbox VM on my PC and all these issues were indeed resolved.  I'll await to see what you guys come up with for the Xen setup so I can push this into a test production environment to properly evaluate it.

We replicated your set in our environment and made it work on Xenserver 6.5 with help of some minor scripts 8). Following some further tests we will put it online shortly.

I will ping you once taken live, meanwhile, thanks for the catch  :-TU 

Offline abrkackl

• Comodo Family Member
  • Turkish
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
Is korugan a firewall. If it is a firewall where can we download it. And I heart comodo will made savungan antivirus. When Beta version.(Beta versiyonu ne zaman çıkacak). I can't make sentece Well. So I wrote it in turkish.

Offline Budda

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »
[at]Bulut, let me know I will let you know how my testing goes and will provide any/all feedback you guys are lookingfor.

[at] abrackl, simple answer is yes this can act as a firewall.  Korugan is an edge security appliance that has firewall features and much more built into it.  Check out the documentation here: https://korugan.com/library.php

Download is here: https://download.comodo.com/korugan/Korugan-Lite.ova

Offline bulut

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 03:42:06 AM »
Is korugan a firewall. If it is a firewall where can we download it. And I heart comodo will made savungan antivirus. When Beta version.(Beta versiyonu ne zaman çıkacak). I can't make sentece Well. So I wrote it in turkish.

Budda thanks!

abrkackl,  if endpoint is the case check out Comodo Downloads, it also has Turkish support  ;)  (forumlarda antivirus tab'ini inceleyebilirsiniz, ayrıca AV ürünümüz Comodo Downloads'da mevcut)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek