Author Topic: Product updated to latest version. Windows continuosly popup to update again.  (Read 6549 times)

Offline futuretech

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Because that has nothing to with this issue and is not the solution.

Offline Dustyn

• Comodo's Hero
Because that has nothing to with this issue and is not the solution.
May I inquire whom it is you are replying to?
If it is me, then can you tell me what the solution is as many of us are still dealing with this issue. It has not been solved at this point in time.

Offline futuretech

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
May I inquire whom it is you are replying to?
If it is me, then can you tell me what the solution is as many of us are still dealing with this issue. It has not been solved at this point in time.
The only solution is going to be a complete clean install of CIS and uninstalling using the official uninstaller and double-checking to make everything is removed, including files in temp folders (%TEMP%, C:\Windows\temp,etc.)

Offline Dustyn

• Comodo's Hero
Do not be so quick to tell me or others what the root cause is, or what does or does not pertain to this specific issue.
Nobody at Comodo has come forth publicizing the exact root cause.. so unless you actually know exactly what the root cause is I would not be dismissive of others submitted findings on what has worked.
Quote from: futuretech
The only solution is going to be a complete clean install of CIS and uninstalling using the official uninstaller and double-checking to make everything is removed, including files in temp folders (%TEMP%, C:\Windows\temp,etc.)

So, can you tell me how many clean uninstalls do I actually need to do?

I've already used the official uninstaller twice, double-checking to make sure everything is removed, including files in temp folders (%TEMP%, C:\Windows\temp,etc.), manual registry removal along with Revo Pro forced hunter leftover scans. There is something else going on here. Despite requested cis reports and detailed log submissions that have been uploaded to the Dev team, no one knows what the root cause is. I have been a member of the Comodo community and an even longer time user of CIS to have gathered a detailed understanding of how this software behaves and functions to know exactly how to perform either a product update to a new version (which I RARELY do as it can cause problems), or to perform a complete clean uninstall of it along with executing Comodo's official uninstaller and/or using Comodo uninstaller scripts and manual removal of any leftovers in preparation for new clean installs. I have done this for years with very successful results.

In any event, I am not satisfied or believe that a 3rd complete uninstall is needed or even required.
So at this point in time, I am done and completely ready to move away from this software.
Maybe I'll check back in a year or so and see how CIS is doing if my alternative solution is no longer favorable.

Offline Ploget

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • 'Your best teacher is your last mistake'
    • Schneier on Security
Do you happen to have KillSwitch installed?
In any event, I am not satisfied or believe that a 3rd complete uninstall is needed or even required.
So at this point in time, I am done and completely ready to move away from this software.
Maybe I'll check back in a year or so and see how CIS is doing if my alternative solution is no longer favorable.
Ploget

Win10 x 64 Pro 21H2 (19044.1826) / CIS Pro 12.2.4.8032 & WiseVector StopX
Win11 x 64 Pro - 21H2 (22000.493) / CIS 12.2.2.8012
Comodo Forum Policy
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito”

Offline riplikethat

Right now on Comodo 12.2.2.7062

So anyway..

Check for Program Updates = Every 1 day (or any day)

Auto Download  program updates = Off

Auto Install on Critical situations = Off

Database Updates = Off (had to, to try to fix the update nagging situation)

Despite this, EVERY SINGLE Comodo version continuously keeps nagging me to update to newer release, every few hours. I don't want to update to this version, but setting any date on that update means nothing when program still keeps nagging to update.

Because of this constant nagging I have turned off all updates, and virus database is only updated when I scan for it, like once a month, maybe.  When I'm using a fullscreen app, like a game, this popup of update pops up, tabbing me out of the game into the desktop.

This has been happening with every Comodo version, not just current one I'm on. You guys really need to fix this annoyance, unless I'm doing something wrong here.

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Riplikethat. Does this also happen when you do a clean install of CIS?

Can you see if disabling the task COMODO Update {A6D52E4F-569B-4756-B3D8-DF217313DA85} in Task Scheduler does the trick for you?

Offline riplikethat

Riplikethat. Does this also happen when you do a clean install of CIS?

Can you see if disabling the task COMODO Update {A6D52E4F-569B-4756-B3D8-DF217313DA85} in Task Scheduler does the trick for you?

I always clean install to avoid any issues (importing/exporting my custom settings).

I disabled the update in task scheduler, set the in app update to "7 Days" and restarted. While posting this reply, the update window again popped up (I'm guessing it's starting the 7 days cycle on day one?).

I'll wait a day to see if this happens again, because task is next scheduled for 17th, this time.

While we're at it, I've also noticed that virus database updates seem to take days when I set program updates to longer days. It has happened a few times, but right now I've set database update hourly and it seems to be working.

Offline aldist

• Comodo Family Member
I disabled the update in task scheduler,
Disabled or even deleted COMODO tasks in Windows Scheduler will be recreated again at least upon restarting the computer. To customize these tasks, you need to use the permissions of the Windows\System32\Tasks\COMODO folder.

Offline riplikethat

Disabled or even deleted COMODO tasks in Windows Scheduler will be recreated again at least upon restarting the computer. To customize these tasks, you need to use the permissions of the Windows\System32\Tasks\COMODO folder.

Yeah, it's still doing the update nag.

I have edited the task to disable triggers by editing them this time, going to see if this works.

This is incredibly annoying.

Offline riplikethat

Yeah, it's still doing the update nag.

I have edited the task to disable triggers by editing them this time, going to see if this works.

This is incredibly annoying.

Just an FYI, even editing the scheduled task did nothing. Update popup keeps coming up every day, sometimes 2 times a day.

Comodo has become a nagware at this point. The only solution is to completely turn off any updates and risk not updating virus database or get any critical program updates. Seems like a bad idea for an antivirus/firewall to have such an issue.

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
CIS also has cloud look up of unknown files so you always have the latest av definitions even when the local database is not up to date. As a workaround you could you try to update the AV manually?

Offline schaffer

As well as the update issue I also get the pop-up shown below every time I start Windows.

Did you find a solution for this popup? Been getting it for a few weeks and it's driving me nuts. Reinstalled and does not appear until an update occurs.

Offline MrMaxaMan

• Comodo's Hero
Did you find a solution for this popup? Been getting it for a few weeks and it's driving me nuts. Reinstalled and does not appear until an update occurs.

Yes I managed to stop it by disabling Comodo in the start-up settings shown below.
Avast Free - 20.9.2437 - Comodo 12.2.2.7062 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek