Author Topic: On Windows 8.1 Compatibility and Upgrade  (Read 28381 times)

Offline zappe

• Comodo Member
Re: On Windows 8.1 Compatibility and Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
So I upgraded to 8.1. After the upgrade CIS didn't work but after diagnostics it wants a restart, so I did that.

Now I'm stuck with a BSOD everytime Windows tries to start. The BSOD is caused by cmdhlp.sys.

How can I solve this problem?

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
So I upgraded to 8.1. After the upgrade CIS didn't work but after diagnostics it wants a restart, so I did that.

Now I'm stuck with a BSOD everytime Windows tries to start. The BSOD is caused by cmdhlp.sys.

How can I solve this problem?

Try to get into safe mode (Apparently this is different in Windows 8 and later versions than before) then try to follow this guide as close as you can (pay attention to use the right .bat file) if successful you should be able to start Windows normally and then re-install it cleanly.
I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Offline dissed

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
With today's tools, that shouldn't be a big deal right, so many automation/build/CI tools like Maven and Jenkins make this a breeze. No manual intervention or time wasted in suffixing version to build name.

Offline zappe

• Comodo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 01:46:33 AM »
Try to get into safe mode (Apparently this is different in Windows 8 and later versions than before) then try to follow this guide as close as you can (pay attention to use the right .bat file) if successful you should be able to start Windows normally and then re-install it cleanly.

The problem is that I'm not able to get in to safe mode. I get to this screen, http://www.7tutorials.com/files/img/win8_safe_mode/w8sm9.png, and there my computer doesn't react on anything I press. I also tried http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/two-new-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8.htm without luck.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »
That's interestingly odd. When it is indeed CIS causing it then this is what I would do in that case if hook up the hd to another computer and rename the following CIS files:
In %Program Files%
cis.exe
cistray.exe
In system32:
guard64.dll (when on 64 bits) or guard32.dll (when on 32 bits)
In system32\drivers:
cmderd.sys
cmdguard.sys
cmdhelp.sys
inspect.sys

That should disable CIS. Then please follow Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable and clean starting point.

Now you can do a clean install with the latest version of CIS if you like.

Offline zappe

• Comodo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »
That's interestingly odd. When it is indeed CIS causing it then this is what I would do in that case if hook up the hd to another computer and rename the following CIS files:
In %Program Files%
cis.exe
cistray.exe
In system32:
guard64.dll (when on 64 bits) or guard32.dll (when on 32 bits)
In system32\drivers:
cmderd.sys
cmdguard.sys
cmdhelp.sys
inspect.sys

That should disable CIS. Then please follow Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable and clean starting point.

Now you can do a clean install with the latest version of CIS if you like.

Thanks for this!

I managed to rename the files via the command prompt in the troubleshooting mode of Windows. I then got into safe mode, which I then disabled and got into normal mode. There I uninstalled CIS and runned the uninstaller tool.
And now I've installed CIS again and all seems fine again!

Offline WilfredK

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
Oops, sorry for the late reply (have been traveling foor the last 8 weeks and had little time to visit the interwebs).
also the forum did not sent me any notification but still I could expect you to reply :)

anyway I am using the comodo internet security suite.
windows network interface gives me the normal network stats, netstat gives all open connections as expected.

and after a little install time (had some wireless problems due to Microsoft deciding to "update" my wireless driver to a not working one and there infinitly wise decision to remove wpa security because traveling people use this on a daily basis) I have to admit that kilswitch now works and the monitor section has been removed from the main UI and the widget happily shows network traffic so ... problem fixed and one more happy user :)

Can you post a screeshot? What AV are you using? If you are using one like Avast that uses a local proxy in its web shield the problem is there.

Offline tsgc84

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
I installed windows 8.1 from Windows 8 with Comodo 6.3 and I had multiple errors I had to remove Comodo and format my laptop and start all over again I was 'NOT' happy. I then re-installed Comodo. On my 2nd laptop I removed Comodo before upgrading and all is fine.
As Psychiatrists we straddle a unique blend of science and humanity. Bridging the social, medical and neurosciences, we strive to improve the mental health of individuals, families and societies, and provide strong leadership throughout the care pathway.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
I installed windows 8.1 from Windows 8 with Comodo 6.3 and I had multiple errors I had to remove Comodo and format my laptop and start all over again I was 'NOT' happy. I then re-installed Comodo. On my 2nd laptop I removed Comodo before upgrading and all is fine.
Did you run the CIS clean up tool in Windows Safe Mode before you decided to take the radical step of starting from format?

Offline tsgc84

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 04:16:51 AM »
Yes I ran the clean-up tool but no luck. I have Kaspersky on my 3rd laptop and that was fine during the upgrade no problems at all. So, not too sure why Comodo crashed?
As Psychiatrists we straddle a unique blend of science and humanity. Bridging the social, medical and neurosciences, we strive to improve the mental health of individuals, families and societies, and provide strong leadership throughout the care pathway.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:58 AM »
....Users who use the products with version 6.3:
If you are using 6.3, your products are fully compatible and certified for Windows 8.1 already. However, Windows 8.1 upgrade has a bug that causes data loss by deleting a critical registry key used by the products(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\software\Comodo). Windows 8.1 upgrade is coming from a trusted source hence the self-defense in the products do NOT block the damage causing them to dysfunction. We are in touch with Microsoft for further resolution of this issue however we have also issued a path this weekend to ameliorate the damage caused by the upgrade process.

The Symptoms

Symptom: If you are using the products 6.3.294583.2937, your products will not start and you may not be able to uinstall neither.

Fix: Please run diagnostics tool by executing the command, "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cis.exe --diagnoseUI", when done, restart your computer. The products should be functional however your configuration settings will not be able to be recovered automatically.

In order to PREVENT the configuration loss, please make sure to upgrade the products to the latest edition i.e. version 6.3.297838.2953

Symptom: If you are using the products 6.3.297838.2953, you will see diagnostics reporting an error and requesting a repair.

Fix: Please follow the instructions. When diagnostics is done, please restart your PC and everything should be back up and running. Note than a restart after diagnostics is required.

4 - Windows 8.1 Compatibility
The products with versions 6.3 and later are fully compatible with Windows 8.1 and have passed all required logo tests.

Offline Chai

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »

3.3. Users who use the products with version 6.3:
If you are using 6.3, your products are fully compatible and certified for Windows 8.1 already. However, Windows 8.1 upgrade has a bug that causes data loss by deleting a critical registry key used by the products(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\software\Comodo). Windows 8.1 upgrade is coming from a trusted source hence the self-defense in the products do NOT block the damage causing them to dysfunction. We are in touch with Microsoft for further resolution of this issue however we have also issued a path this weekend to ameliorate the damage caused by the upgrade process.

The Symptoms

Symptom: If you are using the products 6.3.294583.2937, your products will not start and you may not be able to uinstall neither.

Fix: Please run diagnostics tool by executing the command, "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cis.exe --diagnoseUI", when done, restart your computer. The products should be functional however your configuration settings will not be able to be recovered automatically.

I am having the same problems as others here have posted on my own 8-newly-updated-to-8.1 system. I had Comodo Firewall 6.3 installed in 8.0 (64 bit Pro version). After installing 8.1, Comodo stopped starting up and showed no icon on the taskbar. I decided to reinstall Comodo (uninstall, reboot, install), which did not work properly. The icon now appears, but with an X through it, and the error "the network firewall is not functioning properly" appears when I hover over the icon. The diagnose utility reported errors after trying to fix the problem after getting 65% through.  It stated "Diagnostics have found some errors and could not fix them automatically." So I uninstalled again, rebooted, ran CCleaner's registry cleanup utility this time, manually inspected the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders, along with the three folders in Users/AppData/, to make sure all Comodo files were removed, then reinstalled Comodo again. Same problem - an X appears in the Comodo taskbar icon, and the "network firewall" error persists, as do the Diagnostics results.

?!? Not sure what else I can do here to get Comodo working on my 8.1 machine, other than a wipe and reinstall of the entire OS etc. perhaps. I imagine that must be the problem since I have made certain no files were left on the C drive (in the usual locations, at least... I'm not sure about which dll's in the Windows folder to look for that Comodo may use, or which of those are shared with other programs). I will try that CIS cleanup tool next, hope that works...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:44:11 AM by Chai »

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
I am having the same problems as others here have posted on my own 8-newly-updated-to-8.1 system. I had Comodo Firewall 6.3 installed in 8.0 (64 bit Pro version). After installing 8.1, Comodo stopped starting up and showed no icon on the taskbar. I decided to reinstall Comodo (uninstall, reboot, install), which did not work properly. The icon now appears, but with an X through it, and the error "the network firewall is not functioning properly" appears when I hover over the icon. The diagnose utility reported errors after trying to fix the problem after getting 65% through.  It stated "Diagnostics have found some errors and could not fix them automatically." So I uninstalled again, rebooted, ran CCleaner's registry cleanup utility this time, manually inspected the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders, along with the three folders in Users/AppData/, to make sure all Comodo files were removed, then reinstalled Comodo again. Same problem - an X appears in the Comodo taskbar icon, and the "network firewall" error persists, as do the Diagnostics results.

?!? Not sure what else I can do here to get Comodo working on my 8.1 machine, other than a wipe and reinstall of the entire OS etc. perhaps. I imagine that must be the problem since I have made certain no files were left on the C drive (in the usual locations, at least... I'm not sure about which dll's in the Windows folder to look for that Comodo may use, or which of those are shared with other programs). I will try that CIS cleanup tool next, hope that works...

Please follow the steps in this thread (most importantly safe mode and the .bat uninstaller): Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems

If that doesn't work then you might need to increase the value of the "MaxNumFilters" DWORD inside "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network" or you could delete the "MaxNumFilters" DWORD since that essentially means setting it to unlimited. Note that you might need to re-install CIS again, in which case I suggest the previously linked thread of how to properly re-install CIS.
I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »
May be the Inspect driver is still present and needs to be uninstalled.

How to uninstall the CIS firewall driver when it stays present?  Look up the properties of the network connection, select the Comodo Firewall driver and uninstall it. See the attached image.

Offline morph3x

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
Hello,

Im trying to install Comodo Firewall on Windows 8.1 x64 fresh install. However once Comodo Firewall is installed it causes my Windows BSOD all the time.

Also I noticed all of my applications stops working when Comodo is installed, saying "windows cannot access the specified device path or file". After this error like 1min later my computer BSOD with error 0xc0000021a

I dont know whats wrong with Comodo Firewall... All my applications starts working again when i uninstall it and BSOD is fixed too.

Please help. I was chatting with someone called Anthony but he didnt help me at all.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek