Author Topic: Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems  (Read 314260 times)

Offline scop8

Re: Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »
^Thank you. I downloaded both of those, but, oh dear. After trying all of section A, I still got that dreaded 1603. Did the steps again, this time including the ones in section B. Windows Installer found no Comodo leftovers (just a leftover Avira which had I deleted) and neither did Eusing. I found a couple of Comodo leftovers in Auslogics, but in my haste, rather than continuing the search, I inadvertently deleted all registries that it scanned.

The problem now is that the keyboard is not working in any USB ports. Mouse is fine. All programs seem to be working. I put back all the deleted registries via the backup, restarted, no keyboard. Did a system restore, no keyboard. Suggestions?

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »
Can you plug the keyboard in another system to see if the keyboard its self is it fault?

Offline scop8

« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2016, 12:39:55 AM »
^ lol yes, it was the keyboard, now since replaced. Thank you.

Since I did a system restore, I've redone the Windows Installer, again nothing but a leftover Avira (deleted). The Eusing registry cleaner actually had one Comodo key, removed, and the Auslogics one had four Comodo keys, removed.

Next I restarted in safe mode with command prompt, and using these instructions

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

I then uninstalled each of the Comodo drivers individually.

Now I'm in regedit, and I don't see any Legacy drivers of any sort in the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM section, following the location at the bottom of each of rigo's regedit .jpg's (https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/most-effective-way-to-reinstallupdate-cis-to-avoidfix-problems-t58620.105.html). I assume this is a good thing?

Next, I did a 'find' of 'comodo' in the View of regedit and there appear 5 names:

(Default)
ComodoOpinion
EntityTag
lastAnswer
ShownDate
^which are found in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID... followed by a very long string, which I can repost if needed. The point being, is this something I should be deleting?

In the same path as above, there are also folders called

cmdfile
cmdupd.CisUpdater
cmdupd.CisUpdater.1

but I don't know whether these are for Comodo and if so whether they ought to be deleted?

There are also 7 CIS folders, each of which has simply a CLSID folder in which there is a Default REG_SZ, each with a different data code. So they are:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CIS.CisCceIntegration.1
                                                 \CIS.CWatchIntegration.1
                                                 \CIS.CisLpsIntegration.1
                                                 \CIS.CisRmControl.1
                                                 \CIS.CisUrlFltIntegration.1
                                                 \CIS.CisWmiProvider.1
                                                 \CISSVC.CisGate.1

Are these part of Comodo and should they be deleted?

Finally, there's also a cdmpfile folder in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cdmpfile and I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with Comodo (probably not, but it's all starting to look similar at this point).

This is my first time probing the deep, seemingly endless maze-like realm of regedit, so I'm not touching a thing until I get the ok. Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:56:41 AM by scop8 »

Offline scop8

« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »
Also, I'm following rigo's instructions to delete all Comodo files found in Windows Explorer, but Comodo Internet Security, Comodo Internet Security Trace, and Comodo Internet Security CEF in winevt\logs cannot be deleted because apparently the files are "open in another program. Close the file and try again." How do I know what other program they're opened in, and how do I close them??

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:09:33 PM by scop8 »

Offline scop8

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2016, 07:27:29 PM »
Ok well the best I could do was delete the logs themselves, not the folders, didn't find any legacy registries, and didn't touch the ones I mentioned two posts above, followed everything else I think to a T (minus regediting outside of Windows because 1. it didn't look as if I needed to since there were no legacy registries, and 2. this is really going above my abilities to work around a problem and potentially screwing things up).

So I tried installing again, and 1603 again. I've had it. On to another firewall, unfortunately. I have Comodo on other machines, and like it, but this issue is really something the company has to figure out a way to get customers through. Thanks very much to all for the tutorials and feedback, glad it worked for some, but for me it's time to move on.

Offline scop8

« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2016, 08:13:41 PM »
Will this 1603 problem go away if I just switch to Windows 10?

Offline scop8

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:36 PM »
UPDATE: Comodo is now installed. How? Well, after the final attempt in Win7 Ultimate also resulted in Error 1603, I simply 'force uninstalled' Comodo through Revo Uninstall Pro (some files could not be deleted until after a restart). Before the restart, I also cleaned Comodo registries through CCleaner. Restarted. Ran Revo and CCleaner again until neither showed any signs of Comodo. That's it. Did nothing else listed in this thread, because I thought I'd switch to another firewall anyway.

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Tried the Comodo install as administrator. It installed and is working without any issues.

So maybe that's the trick. Just update to Windows 10. I have no idea why that did it, but I'm glad it's working :D

Offline hossein.eskandar

« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
For more than 2 years I was desperately looking for a clue for this matter, and now I can fix my comodo with ur comments!  :-TU
1. Uninstall Normally
2. Device Manager/ View/ Show Hidden Devices  => Find the Non Plug & Play Driver in order to uninstall the Comodo Helper
3. Go to RegEdit, and search for CmdAgent Subkey ... put your cursor onto it and then import the "emptyhive" file, and then it is OK to manually Delete it!
Do it one by one in a ControlSet 1,2, ...

and Now it is ready to have a clean installation !

Offline muhammad.nst

« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2016, 11:46:06 PM »
Hi,
I used section B for remove uncompleted installation and it s work fine. thanks 

Offline Andrew C

« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
The link

at the top of this thread (Section A 2)
Those running Windows 8.0 or 8.1 should also download this removal tool this link.

Gives me an error:

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to access this section

This was additionally posted by EricJH on Reply #149 on: July 08, 2016, 10:28:46 AM

:(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:00:50 PM by Dennis2 »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
The link

at the top of this thread (Section A 2)
Gives me an error:

This was additionally posted by EricJH on Reply #149 on: July 08, 2016, 10:28:46 AM

:(
Thank you for catching this. There has been clean up of attachments and this attachment seems to have been deleted in the process.

I have attached the tool to this post and will adapt the url's accordingly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:01:25 PM by Dennis2 »

Offline Andrew C

« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »
I've done it! I have internet access again!

Here's how, in the hope that it helps someone else.

First, amongst other things, I followed instruction sets A and B in the first post in this thread, but I still didn't have any internet access, and after the CCleaner ran not even in safe mode with networking!

Then this last step worked:
(as an administrator on Windows 10)

• Control Panel (not Settings)
  • Network and Internet
  • View Network Status and Tasks
  • Change adapter settings
  • <right-click> Wireless Network Connection, <click>Properties
  • I found Comodo sitting as an item in the list.
    I clicked uninstall and it worked!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

1. Control Panel - View Network Status and Tasks

2. Network and Sharing Center - Change adapter settings

3. Network Connections - right click Wireless Network Connection

4. Right-click and choose Properties

5. Choose the firewall (having uninstalled it fully first!) that's still blocking, and click Uninstall on it - sorry it's not in the pic any more!

It warned me that it would remove Comodo from all connections, which was fine by me.

History: I had a bad system crash in the middle of some intermittent internet access and had to system restore but started getting Comodo error messages and thought it might be the source of the problem, so went for an uninstall-reinstall, but the internet access problem wasn't comodo's fault (my phone had the same problem) and the uninstall-reinstall went badly wrong - I lost all internet access, eventually even in safe mode with networking, which was scary.

I followed the instructions and used the tool you posted (thanks) but still had "Connected, no Internet" and I was looking down the barrel of a reinstall of windows (with several evenings of reinstalling software and reconfiguring stuff), but then I thought to look at it from a hardware point of view and removing the firewall from the adapter worked!

Finally....
Next on the todo list is a full reinstall.

In a way it's comforting that it's this hard to get past a comodo firewall, but on the other hand it would be handy if the usual uninstall option had done the job!

Many thanks to you all on this forum for your help, especially EricJH and everyone who helped write the COMODO Removal Tool batch file.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:59:44 PM by Andrew C »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »

[..]

Many thanks to you all on this forum for your help, especially EricJH and everyone who helped write the COMODO Removal Tool batch file.
Thank you but the props are not for me. I wasn't involved in writing the removal tools

Offline Andrew C

« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
But you very quickly posted it after I said I couldn't get it. I was worried I'd be waiting days for that, but you're a helpful and responsive mod, so you definitely do deserve thanks too. Comodo is running smoothly again, and I'm very happy.

Have a great 2017.

Offline Giomodo

« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
Installed Comodo free firewall 10 one week ago.

Here is what i did:

- exported old CFW 8.4 configuration on desktop
- launched and installed successfully (from installer) CFW 10 above old CFW 8.4
- imported old configuration in CFW 10 and activated succesfully

That's all.

Tested on GRC shield up. Perfect.

The only bug is been that once CFW 10 installation completed, the procedure for installation restarted. I just did click x.

Vista Home 32 - Avast free - Comodo firewall

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek