Author Topic: CIS/Antivirus corrupts Windows 8, requiring a factory reset  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: CIS/Antivirus corrupts Windows 8, requiring a factory reset
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
Before you give up there is one last thing I would like you to consider to try. Before you install CIS uninstall Norton Internet Security and reboot. Then run the Norton removal tool and reboot. Then try again. You can find the Norton removal tool linked here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146#n .

The reason for asking is that sometimes when uninstalling security programs they leave behind a driver or service. This can cause unexpected interactions.

Offline Steevo1

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:22:57 PM »
Hello... As you can see this is my first post but I was so upset when my computer crashed, to the point I thought I lost every ability to use my hard drive, one of the first things I would do when back online was go to Comodo and describe what happened. I see a number of people have had the same problem (with their HP computer) and I believe Dch48 is probably correct. Windows 8.1 also had problems with certain HP printer drivers causing the model I had to be totally useless so I'll assume HP is the culprit with some unusual code.

Since most everything has been described I'll keep it simple. I also got into my desktop after removing the battery first and after the second try quickly typed "msconfig" into the start menu's 'run'  where I had about half a minute to uncheck both Privacy Dog and Geek Buddy but deliberately left Comodo's antivirus checked (I was curious). The machine crashed but when I got into my desktop again those two programs didn't start just the antivirus and all has been well. I've since removed both of them from my system and now have a good antivirus and good working laptop.

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
That seems to narrow the issue down to a conflict with PrivDog or Geek Buddy (or both) and something on newer HP laptops. I would tend to think it's PrivDog myself but I have no way to know.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:35:42 PM by Dch48 »
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline Steevo1

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
I had issues browsing with Privacy Dog in the past and disable it.

I've been very pleased with Comodo's browser and now also the antivirus. Great deals for free.

Offline remmert

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
I have bluescreen of death with error : DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, after installing Comodo IS.
I am using win 8.1 pro 64 bit (full version) on a Brand New Microsoft surface 3 pro tablet, i bought it yesterday didn't install much else except for Comodo IS.
After uninstalling privdog i didn't experience the blue screen error anymore.
Problem seems to be with privdog causing conflicts with some windows processes i don't understand.

Is there a way to install Comodo without privdog?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:48:20 AM by remmert »

Offline pjb024

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »
Is there a way to install Comodo without privdog?
The first installation screen asks you to select the language then on the next installation screen you will see "Customize Installation" at the bottom left. Click on it and you will then see all the installation oiptions and you can uncheck those you don't want to install. Then click the "Back" button and proceed with the installation as normal. The installer will only install those elements you left checked.
Mod edit: Fixed the quote tags, Captainsticks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:19:36 PM by captainsticks »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek