Author Topic: Cavwp.exe using 25% of resources  (Read 39394 times)

Offline blonderulez

Re: CAVWP.exe
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
This problem has been reported for a long time, why isn't it resolved with 6.1? It is still a serious problem with 6.1. You can not kill the process, only solution is to reboot the computer.

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
For all those suffering see if the following basics make the problem go away or persist.

See if a clean install of CIS makes the problem go away or if it persists. When reinstalling CIS please follow Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable and clean starting point.

Also see if disabling the cache builder helps to mitigate the problem.

Offline mikeiam

• Comodo Member
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »
i have some problem with that exe too
every time after reboot that exe try too kill my HDD  ??? ???
in OS monitor i see how it read/scan all my other soft's exe.
and HDD work very hardly

Offline mikeiam

• Comodo Member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
now i disable all cache builder and scan! why CAVWP reading all my HDD  ???
i cant use PC >:( >:(

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
Do you have the av set to scan during boot? Are you on older hardware? A scan with the av is quite taxing which is especially troubling with older hardware.

Offline mikeiam

• Comodo Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 06:10:17 AM »
scan during boot?
no
cpu i7-3770 + WD Red serie

i want to disable all scan!!! only for realtime reading/writing
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:11:53 AM by mikeiam »

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
no
cpu i7-3770 + WD Red serie

i want to disable all scan!!! only for realtime reading/writing

Please make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of "strange effects".  Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146 .

Then try disabling Run cache builder when computer is idle helps. Can you also see if the high usage is happening when Windows indexer, a defragmenter program or similar utility is running?

Offline mikeiam

• Comodo Member
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past.
CIS is a 1st on clear OS

Then try disabling Run cache builder when computer is idle helps.
already off

Can you also see if the high usage is happening when Windows indexer, a defragmenter program or similar utility is running?
only if some hidden services do that. i have no such apps in my autostart, but i dont disable default Win7 services

I have no problem after some time after reboot - only right after login +5-10 min with CAVWP.exe (

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
CIS is a 1st on clear OS
already off
only if some hidden services do that. i have no such apps in my autostart, but i dont disable default Win7 services

I have no problem after some time after reboot - only right after login +5-10 min with CAVWP.exe (
Sometimes looking with resource monitor (resmon.exe) you see what process is dragging cawp.exe along.

If you can identify a process you can exclude it. Or when nothing shows I would call it a bug concerning performance. In that case. If you have the time and energy  please consider filing  a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

Offline mikeiam

• Comodo Member
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
now i disable Wins index, defragler and superfecth.
after reboot HDD work better, no strange scans, and first after login apps load better
i think superfetch+AV bad!

realy Skype and Firefox start now more faster
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:13:42 AM by mikeiam »

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
You have a powerful system. So I would call it a bug when superfetch and cavwp.exe put a huge load on your system. Please file this as a bug following the instructions I gave in the above.

Offline Grimmycakes

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »
Hi sorry to bump this. But I've too also started having this issue. Started yesterday. I checked resource monitor. It was reading windows folder/files. Also it said it was writing to system volume information if I remember off the top of my head.

Looking at windows events, it did state the windows backup service entered the running state. Does Cavwp.exe make use of this?

It's stopped eating resources right now. But it was a at it again a few minutes ago. Was trying to login to my pc via teamviewer and it was really slow. Then I noticed the CPU usage was being eaten away by cavwp.exe

I've got no traces of any other security programs. The only things I installed yesterday was Emule and filezilla.
So system changes besides that if that counts.

There doesn't seem to be any task logs of cavwp.exe either. And full system scan shows nothing dodgy and such. Plus this is a somewhat fresh install of windows 7 64bit. Installed it near March I think?

The only thing I can think of is maybe it was caused by one of the comodo updates?

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Hi sorry to bump this. But I've too also started having this issue. Started yesterday. I checked resource monitor. It was reading windows folder/files. Also it said it was writing to system volume information if I remember off the top of my head.

Looking at windows events, it did state the windows backup service entered the running state. Does Cavwp.exe make use of this?
Cavwp.exe does not use this. It will respond to actions of the service when it reads or writes.

It's stopped eating resources right now. But it was a at it again a few minutes ago. Was trying to login to my pc via teamviewer and it was really slow. Then I noticed the CPU usage was being eaten away by cavwp.exe

I've got no traces of any other security programs. The only things I installed yesterday was Emule and filezilla.
So system changes besides that if that counts.

There doesn't seem to be any task logs of cavwp.exe either. And full system scan shows nothing dodgy and such. Plus this is a somewhat fresh install of windows 7 64bit. Installed it near March I think?

The only thing I can think of is maybe it was caused by one of the comodo updates?
Other than the av updating the cache builder is known to be eating a lot of resources. Cache builder is set to run only when the computer is idle. However it does not throttle down once the system gets active again and will load the system significantly.

When you are having performance issues with cavwp.exe please check first if the av was updating or cache builder was running. If that is not the case then cavwp.exe may be interacting with an active process. You can check that with remon.exe (Windows own resource monitor). If you find a process that makes cavwp.exe load the system needlessly heavy let us know. Also consider filing a bug report on it following instructions a little bit up in the topic.

Offline Grimmycakes

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
Cavwp.exe does not use this. It will respond to actions of the service when it reads or writes.
Other than the av updating the cache builder is known to be eating a lot of resources. Cache builder is set to run only when the computer is idle. However it does not throttle down once the system gets active again and will load the system significantly.

When you are having performance issues with cavwp.exe please check first if the av was updating or cache builder was running. If that is not the case then cavwp.exe may be interacting with an active process. You can check that with remon.exe (Windows own resource monitor). If you find a process that makes cavwp.exe load the system needlessly heavy let us know. Also consider filing a bug report on it following instructions a little bit up in the topic.

Yeah been monitoring it with that when it was happening. But I kinda only saw it reading in the windows folders and such. But I shall keep an eye out. I noticed there is already a bug report on this, so I didn't reply to it. Though if I should, please let me know and I shall.

At the moment when I do something, even reply to a thread on a forum, resource monitor shows it  to be doing what appears like a lot of disk reading. In this case, firefox related files.But pc seems to be fine performance wise for now. Im presuming this is normal behavior though?

Though I did notice this when checking logs just now. Im not sure what caused it to /crash/stop/fail.
http://i.imgur.com/iXzOjrK.png

I do have the cache builder set to run when idle though. If it gets worse or something, I'll report it to the bug thread I guess.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:24:31 PM by Grimmycakes »

Offline Citizen K

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
Yeah been monitoring it with that when it was happening. But I kinda only saw it reading in the windows folders and such. But I shall keep an eye out. I noticed there is already a bug report on this, so I didn't reply to it. Though if I should, please let me know and I shall.

At the moment when I do something, even reply to a thread on a forum, resource monitor shows it  to be doing what appears like a lot of disk reading. In this case, firefox related files.But pc seems to be fine performance wise for now. Im presuming this is normal behavior though?
It's FF writing to cache. That is regular behaviour.

Though I did notice this when checking logs just now. Im not sure what caused it to /crash/stop/fail.
http://i.imgur.com/iXzOjrK.png

I do have the cache builder set to run when idle though. If it gets worse or something, I'll report it to the bug thread I guess.

Thanks again
I think this crash, even though it is not clear what triggered it, is worth reporting.

If you're considering to report it then you can find the error report as described here.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek