Author Topic: Can't Export Configuration  (Read 6411 times)

Offline dkeat

• Comodo Family Member
Can't Export Configuration
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »
Hi,

I installed CIS today. I really love it! Only encountered one problem and this one doesn't really involve any problem with CIS. I just don't get something. Maybe someone here can help me out.

I was informed by CIS when the application installed that a network had been detected. This was my wireless network and I entered the name etc.

Later on I plugged my mobile phone into the usb port so it could charge and synchronize. Immediately after doing that CIS popped up another window informing me that a new network had been detected. At first I thought it was detecting my wireless again, but the IP ranges are totally different. I have no other networks unless it is a neighboring network I am unaware of or if it has something to do with the phone or bluetooth which is turned off on the phone at the moment.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline fazio93

• Comodo Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Can't Export Configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
Same here. I have two private networks with two totally different IP ranges. The second one popped up after I woke from sleep mode.

EDIT: The second one that popped up was a 169.254.x.x
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:58:41 AM by .FaZio93. »
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Please remember to follow the Forum Policy.

Offline dkeat

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
Hmm.  (:KWL)

Wonder if anyone out there can give us a hand in understanding this.

Dave

sded

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »
Does your phone have internet access with a built in web browser or email capability?  If so, it is that network that CFP is recognizing.  Does your network address start with 169.254?  If so, it is telling you that there is no DHCP server available to connect you to the network.

Offline dkeat

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

Yes! That is the exact IP address of the "new" network. And it did come up when I plugged the phone into the USB port. But there was no mention of not being able to connect to a DHCP server. And yes, the phone does have Internet access and email access. How would you recommend I handle the firewall entry? I am surprised the firewall even concerns itself with this as the phone accesses the Internet wirelessly and not via any of my network or pc systems.

Dave

sded

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:19:27 AM »
Your USB phone connection has firmware on the phone that is recognized by CFP as being a network connection.  But it won't connect you to the network, thus the 169.254 IP.  Some phones will, by the way, and can be used as wireless modems by your computer.  I would just ignore it, since you are not really connected to it anyway.

Offline dkeat

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »
Well thanks very much! I always like to understand things as opposed to just muddling through.

Dave

Offline fazio93

• Comodo Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
Does your network address start with 169.254?  If so, it is telling you that there is no DHCP server available to connect you to the network.

I guess that's my problem. I've always had this in my event viewer, just never found a way to fix it.

EVENT ID: 1003
SOURCE: Dhcp-Client

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address {XXXXXXXXXXXX} (address of either my built in Wifi or ethernet card).  The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired (or "The operation was canceled by the user."). Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

sded

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
This often happens because of a weak signal or a device/network that is just not accepting new members for various reasons.  Do you have the DHCP service turned on?

Offline fazio93

• Comodo Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
This often happens because of a weak signal or a device/network that is just not accepting new members for various reasons.  Do you have the DHCP service turned on?

I'm always connected via ethernet, so I doubt its a weak signal. My router settings say DHCP is enabled.

Offline doktornotor

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »
The above has nothing to do with the topic; start a new thread.

Offline dkeat

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »
Actually it does. My bad. I entered the wrong title in the heading for the thread, but I was able to answer that question before sending, then forgot to change the title. Sorry for that.

Dave

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek