Author Topic: Firewall review with voting  (Read 35588 times)

Offline BullHorn

• Comodo's Hero
  • Nexus23
    • Nexus23 Corp. Ltd.
Re: Firewall review with voting
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2006, 12:49:20 PM »
It was my pleasure. :)

I'll wait for more replies to see if more people see ot as do DoomScythe and I. (:WIN)
Windows XP SP2
Comodo Personal Firewall 3.0.7.208
NOD32 2.7

Offline matousec

• Matousec - Transparent security
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 03:39:59 AM »
DoomScythe,
I will try to give my opinion on BullHorn's message:

Newbie: Person who can barely figure how to start his PC, let alone install anything and/or use a program or play a game (I can see these often here in Israel ._.).

I think this is close to my 'definition' above, just push the button and play games, write homework in office, or write an email to friend using webmail. These people do not install new software themselves. Autologon enabled?

Acquainted: Person who can do simple actions with a computer like install programs and games and just have fun using a PC without actually knowing what he is doing.

The first one who is able to download and install new software? Is very vulnerable to infected downloads. Is not able to fix problems with PC but is able to find help if something goes wrong.
Is able to chat in webchat. Still zero security knowledge except user/pass login.

Intermediate: The most common level of PC users, in my opinion. They know how to fix random simple problems, formating, installing Windows, know how to use Google, etc.

I agree except thath this is the most common. I think this is the most common level of users that you can 'meet' on the Internet but I am not sure that this is the most common level in general. I think people in offices using only one software to do their job are not on this level and they are the majority I think.

Skilled: That's how I see myself. I know what I'm doing, I can fix almost any problem myself and even if I can't, I can easily find a solution. I can keep my machine free of problems, and fix the machine of problems incase I acquire any. 

I think this is quite a big skip compared to the previous group. But ok. Maybe this is the first class of users that maybe try something with 'alternative' software (I am talking about Mozilla, Linux, OpenOffice, ...). Lot of application level programmers can be here.

Expert: People who actually get paid from doing computer-related works, know how to code in at least one language; the people that "Skilled" users go to when they have a serious problem, like people that are part of the Comodo crew. ;)

I would put low level and security programmers here as well as skilled system and network administrators. Not always paid - I am talking about college professors and students who often create free, open and academic tools and projects.
David Matousek, founder of Matousec - Transparent security

Offline DoomScythe

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 03:59:00 AM »
Great, now we have 3 people with an almost similar idea. I just want to hear others contributing to this. Anyway, thanks David.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Offline BullHorn

• Comodo's Hero
  • Nexus23
    • Nexus23 Corp. Ltd.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 05:57:51 AM »
How do you know my name? O_o

-EDIT: Oh, you didn't mean me. xD
Windows XP SP2
Comodo Personal Firewall 3.0.7.208
NOD32 2.7

Offline HDR

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 01:52:09 AM »
100% better than AVG. I had AVG anti-virus on here, and my computer started acting up. I did a scan and nothing. Well seeing I was already using your firewall I decided to try your anti-virus as well. as soon as I deleted avg and installed comodo, bam a virus detected, bam another one, bam, bam, bam, by the time it was said and tone I had 13 showing up. I didnt even have the anti-virus on for 3 minutes and I was able to identify the problem and resolve it. So happens it was a websearch taskbar on explorer, and there .dll's were viruses. Now after I deleted the viruses and the program I ran my Runalyzer program which you can get for free online, and scanned my registery to get rid of the key that they had placed for startup. Thanks COMODO YOUR THE BEST! Not Norton, not Macafee, and surely not AVG but COMODO! (S) (:CLP)

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 11:41:39 PM »
100% better than AVG. I had AVG anti-virus on here, and my computer started acting up. I did a scan and nothing. Well seeing I was already using your firewall I decided to try your anti-virus as well. as soon as I deleted avg and installed comodo, bam a virus detected, bam another one, bam, bam, bam, by the time it was said and tone I had 13 showing up. I didnt even have the anti-virus on for 3 minutes and I was able to identify the problem and resolve it. So happens it was a websearch taskbar on explorer, and there .dll's were viruses. Now after I deleted the viruses and the program I ran my Runalyzer program which you can get for free online, and scanned my registery to get rid of the key that they had placed for startup. Thanks COMODO YOUR THE BEST! Not Norton, not Macafee, and surely not AVG but COMODO! (S) (:CLP)

Hello,

I am glad you like it :D, however please realize that this current version is still a beta, the 2.0 version which should be released sometime this month, I believe on September 18th. However this date is subject to change. The 2.0 version will fix many bugs, and add some nice new features such as HIPS.

~Justin

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 11:49:33 PM »
Hello,

I am glad you like it :D, however please realize that this current version is still a beta, the 2.0 version which should be released sometime this month, I believe on September 18th. However this date is subject to change. The 2.0 version will fix many bugs, and add some nice new features such as HIPS.

~Justin

we are looking around mid oct for a release I am afraid :(
we will have another beta though before then.

Melih

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2006, 10:45:16 AM »
we are looking around mid oct for a release I am afraid :(
we will have another beta though before then.

Melih

All my hopes dashed in a single sentence. :(  Looking forward to the next version still though.  :D

Mike
Volunteer Moderator: Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Comodo.  Please read and abide by the forum policy!

Offline cliff_the_kilt

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2006, 02:58:23 AM »
back to topic
I just voted (http://www.matousec.com/) on 23rd Sept and CPF is in 6th place with Windows, BlackICE and McAfee trailing behind at 7th, 8th, 9th

WOOO HOOOOO

CAV is also in 6th place, ahead of McAfee, BitDefender, Symantec, PC-cillin, Norton and Zone Alarm

(and that's just for the CAV 1 beta)

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

Comodo is getting there  (:CLP)

UPDATE: It's only a few hours later and CAV has soared into 5th place displacing AntiVir,
WELL, what can I say?
   (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:58:50 AM by cliff_the_kilt »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek