Author Topic: PrivDog AND Ghostery?  (Read 33305 times)

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
Re: PrivDog AND Ghostery?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »
I just saw this http://www.businessinsider.com/evidon-sells-ghostery-data-to-advertisers-2013-6

what do you think about this?

It's just wrong and misleading. The app claim to do one thing while it does another. :-TD
Proud Comodo User (CIS, CD, CID and CMS)

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 06:16:45 AM »
It's just wrong and misleading. The app claim to do one thing while it does another. :-TD
Quote from: http://www.businessinsider.com/evidon-sells-ghostery-data-to-advertisers-2013-6
Evidon helps companies that want to improve their use of tracking code by selling them data collected from the 8 million Ghostery users who have enabled the tool's data sharing feature.
Which is why I disabled such options in the settings, anyone who really cares should always look for such "features" in the option otherwise you didn't do your part.
I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 06:22:19 AM »
Which is why I disabled such options in the settings, anyone who really cares should always look for such "features" in the option otherwise you didn't do your part.

I saw that. Me too. But I think it is enabled by default? Once again many ppl won't know this. So the data is used without their knowledge/consent. It's wrong and misleading. Yes you need to Q such apps but not all ppl do.

Also note: Help Support Ghostery by sending anonymous statistical data back to Ghostery HQ. As if LOL!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:24:21 AM by Seany007 »

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:01 AM »
I saw that. Me too. But I think it is enabled by default? Once again many ppl won't know this. So the data is used without their knowledge/consent. It's wrong and misleading. Yes you need to Q such apps but not all ppl do.
Indeed I think it is enabled by default however when you install Ghostery it will open the initial settings set-up and if you go through it (which it is made for) then you should see that option. I don't think it's misleading as the option says what it is doing, however if it's wrong or not can be debated, personally I don't label things right or wrong since there are no actual guidelines for these, just personal opinions.

Also note: Help Support Ghostery by sending anonymous statistical data back to Ghostery HQ. As if LOL!
The data can still be anonymous, statistics doesn't need to be personally identifiable. ;)

Edit: Either way we have PrivDog now  ;D (although not for all browsers sadly)

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
Indeed I think it is enabled by default however when you install Ghostery it will open the initial settings set-up and if you go through it (which it is made for) then you should see that option. I don't think it's misleading as the option says what it is doing, however if it's wrong or not can be debated, personally I don't label things right or wrong since there are no actual guidelines for these, just personal opinions.
The data can still be anonymous, statistics doesn't need to be personally identifiable. ;)

Edit: Either way we have PrivDog now  ;D (although not for all browsers sadly)

Fair point.

"PrivDog can install protection for the Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome browsers on Windows systems."

http://www.privdog.com/downloads.html

You mean other browsers apart from these?

Offline Eugene 66

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
Also note: Help Support Ghostery by sending anonymous statistical data back to Ghostery

In Priv Dog, too, should be the option of choice. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:41:03 AM by jenny66 »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 08:04:28 AM »
Sneaky tracker hiding deep,
Within the pages that I seek.
I'm browsing quietly unaware,
That the tracker is even there.

Where I go is what it tracks,
To bombard me with Ad attacks.
It's steals my data, personal stuff,
And I have simply had enough!

But with PrivDog and my trusty Dragon,
The tracker's dead and ads are long gone.
PrivDog's bark and Dragon's bite,
Keep me safe and sees me right.

So trackers, ads and cookies too.
There's no more damage you can do.
For if you try to infect me,
PrivDog will upon you pee!

You are a true poet Ubuysa!!!

Welldone, this is amazing and very entertaining!

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »
Fair point.

"PrivDog can install protection for the Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome browsers on Windows systems."

http://www.privdog.com/downloads.html

You mean other browsers apart from these?
Hi Seany007,
SanyaIV is waiting for PrivDog to be compatible with Opera Browser.

The information about Internet Explorer on the site is incorrect as PrivDog is not quite ready for Internet Explorer, sorry for any inconvenience.
Note: PrivDog is currently compatible with any PC running the Comodo Dragon, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox browser. Internet Explorer version is expected in summer 2013

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »

do they mention that once you enable this feature they will sell your data to advertisers?

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
PrivDog continuously counting posted by 'AvKyJJ' sounds like a bug to me so I have split the discussion and move it to Bug Reports - PrivDog

Split topic found below.
PrivDog counting continuously on the posted site.

Sorry if this has inconvenienced anyone.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:29:01 AM by captainsticks »

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
do they mention that once you enable this feature they will sell your data to advertisers?
Hmm not that I know of, which in my opinion is a d**k move of them, however when something says it will collect my data (like the option in Ghostery) I always assume that it won't stay there, whether they give it to someone else or sell it.

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »
Hi Seany007,
SanyaIV is waiting for PrivDog to be compatible with Opera Browser.
Indeed, however after going back to Google Chrome I kinda like it, mostly because of the extension "Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller" oh man it feels good scrolling.

However I do miss some things, like the built-in e-mail client and the feature that asks you when sites are trying to save cookies etc. Oh and Chrome is a great deal faster on showing sites and more sites actually work correctly!

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
I do realise this topic was created because PrivDog was originally released with Dragon, but considering the content of this topic I have now moved it to the Help - PrivDog section.

Offline yigido

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • COMODO Rocks!
    • Free Comodo Products!
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
Comodo devs must develop a privdog add-on for Firefox. Maybe I just want Privdog only my Firefox or my dragon.. and I think an add-on can reach lots of people  ;D
Firefox Quantum
Encrypt the web! Use HTTPS Everywhere..
Block spying ads and invisible trackers! Use Privacy Badger..

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
Comodo devs must develop a privdog add-on for Firefox. Maybe I just want Privdog only my Firefox or my dragon.. and I think an add-on can reach lots of people  ;D

it will be out very soon..

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek