Author Topic: V-3.0.14.276 D+ settings to allow Firefox downloads  (Read 122403 times)

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
Re: V-3.0.14.276 D+ settings to allow Firefox downloads
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
I've had the same problem before; it's because of the way FF creates temp files and the way v3 views those as protected files and registry keys.  Other browsers don't necessarily behave the same way.  It's in the Access Settings for Firefox, under the exclusions.  I don't remember exactly, and can't verify it right now, but I'll try to point you in the direction I went (after much frustration, I might add).

Gibran's suggestion of modifying the exclusion list with a wildcard is the key.  You will need to back up the path a bit to get as much of it as possible, and append *.* to it.  So for example, if it is currently c:\documents and settings\user name\local settings\temp\some folder name\filename123.exe, you need to highlight and delete to get it to be c:\documents and settings\user name\local settings\temp\*.* so that FF can write any file to the temp folder.  IF there are any other paths listed, you need to apply the same logic.

FWIW, I've had to do this with both FF and printers (as the print spooler creates a new file to access every time).  There may be some registry entries related as well.

The easiest way around this may be to temporarily set D+ to Learn All and run some sample downloads.  That way, D+ will create the necessary Exclusions in FF's Access Rights, which you can then peruse through and change as needed to broaden the Exclusions.  I'd check Protected Registry Keys, Protected Files/Folders, and possibly Protected COM Interfaces as well.  It'd be a good idea to check these things before changing to Learn All, so you have an idea what was already there (so you know what changes...).

Hope that helps,

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

sded

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »
And explaining why most of us don't have to do anything at all to these default settings is difficult also. ;)

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
And explaining why most of us don't have to do anything at all to these default settings is difficult also. ;)
Way too many computer configurations out there.  Hardware, software, etc.  I've not had the issue on all machines, but have on some.  When I've had it, it's been obvious. 

That's one of the problems with computers... The logic is often illogical, it seems.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
Thanks for your help LM

Process access rights do not change at all putting D+ in paranoid mode or in training mode. 
I get no popups when hitting download on a site, just the error message immediately.  D+ does not get a chance to even give me a popup. 
Tried putting access right to allow for FF for protected reg. keys and for protected com interfaces and put Path\temp\*.* in the allow protected files folder. Also put the Path\temp\*.* in the run an executable allowed apps.    I even tried setting all the access rights for FF to allow to see if it would make any difference.  Sad to say no difference at all. Still get the same error msg with a different file name each time - same path to temp folder.  These entries also seem to end up in my pending files and purging gets rid of them there, so the entries are not on my HD at all.  Checked permissions for the temp folder, I have full access.

Any more ideas?

John

sded

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 04:35:43 PM »
Since it's desperation time, I will pass along a rule I got for Mozilla products that I didn't need to use for FF, but did for TB-it will seem redundant, but I am a little leery of how integrated loopback really is: allow/tcp/out/0.0.0.0/127.0.0.1/any/any .  Next is voodoo and santaria if you know any experts who would like to be Comodo mods-Melih will supply the chickens. ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:39:17 PM by sded »

Leopard19

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
that will not help you I'm afraid but I've had the same issue several times, with exactly the same error message as the one you posted. I was just may be more lucky cause everytime it happened, may be 10 times during the past two weeks, I just had to restart the download to get it work normally, without even have to close Firefox and reopen it, just restart the download. There must me an issue in Def+, and that happened to me on Clean PC mode. I'll post a screenshot next time it happens.

Too bad I didn't think to post earlier about that, cause as I said, it was very easy each time to relaunch the download successfully.

adding: I've had the error message with both download methods in Firefox: with and without Free Download Manager.

adding again: now I'm thinking, that never happened on my PC before I switched to Avast AV a few weeks ago. Could be a conflict between Avast scanning the downloaded file and Def+ checking the file at the same time. Just a guess.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:46:26 PM by Leopard19 »

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
Thanks Ed  I will try that and see what happen.  I have tried everything else so - nothing to lose. 

Next is voodoo and santaria if you know any experts who would like to be Comodo mods-Melih will supply the chickens.

Not sure I'm quite that desperate yet but reserve the thought. 

FYI, I integrated a FF ad-on that will grab the downloads before FF and that works but now I'm too curious as to what is going on to use it.

John

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 04:50:39 PM »
Leopard19 was right, that did not make any difference, but it did no damage either - at least I tried it.

John

sded

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2007, 04:53:50 PM »
I have recently noticed an occasional download issure with Opera, where it says I don't have permission to access the area I am downloading to.  But I just say "do it again" and all is well.  So may be further issue than just FF.  Maybe next CFP release will kill a few more Gremlins. :)

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »
Just went over all the posts in this thread.  I have tried disabling both firewall and Defense+ and attempting downloads in FF in the past, so tried again this time stopping the services and attempted to kill Cfp.exe, but couldn't do it. (This I'm happy about).  With no firewall except Cfp.exe process running I got the MS red shield in my notification area so know that I was not protected, I then tried again to download with FF from a safe site (I hope) Download.com.  No change to the results.  This confirms my thinking that it has nothing at all to do with CFP-3 but everything to do with MS and FF and the way they interact on my setup.  I'm sticking with this until someone proves me wrong.  My logs support this as well, as they do not show any blocks at all with logging turned on fully for FF.

John

Leopard19

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 05:39:48 AM »
could be a bug in Firefox 2.0.0.11. You should post something at Bugzilla may be. It's gonna take a while before you get an answer there but you'll get one. If the bug is confirmed, I'm also affected as other users in this thread. Again, in my case, relaunching the download immediately after the error message works. Also, FF 3 will be there soon. Could always switch to Beta 2 in the meantime, it's rather stable. What worries me is that someone in this thread had the download issue with Opera.

update: I just tried to reproduce the error in Firefox a few minutes ago, first download attempt was successful, second was a failure. See screenshot. Could also be some sort of malware.

just found that about a similar error in Netscape. The error message is a bit different. The workaround refers to a file that exists too in Firefox program folder, compreg.dat.
http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/dlsourcefile.html

quoting:
Close Netscape, and Quicklaunch
Delete the compreg.dat file located here:
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\components\compreg.dat

I just found there's another compreg.dat in the profile directory. There's been another issue in the past with this file: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=215221

I'm definitely starting to think as well this is no CFP issue at all, but a vulnerability in the browser. I also have no log about anything blocked in Def+. Weird, there's nothing either in Windows apps and system event viewer after the error.

update: just found that at Bugzillla, someone reporting a similar error:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=331544
but that was a while ago, and on a MAC. It's the same issue anyway.

I just reported here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=409954
(username Apache11)

already had a reply, haven't tried the workaround yet:
http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Unable+to+download+or+save+files#Reset_the_download_folder

that seems to do the job, I've tried a couple of new downloads after the reset and no problem.
So here's what could be the solution:

"In the Firefox Location bar, enter about:config. A list of preferences appears
In the Filter textbox, enter browser.download
If any of the following preferences have a status of user set, you must reset the value. To reset the value, right-click the preference and select Reset:

* browser.download.dir
    * browser.download.downloadDir
    * browser.download.folderList
    * browser.download.lastDir
    * browser.download.useDownloadDir (nothing to reset here)

But I won't mark the bug as  fixed at Bugzilla unless the error hasn't happened again during a few days.
For those still stuck after the reset procedure in about:config, I would advise to create a new Firefox profile.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:02:04 AM by Leopard19 »

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 02:02:11 PM »
Thanks Leopard19

I read over the post you have at bugzilla and the answer you received.  The Reset fix did not work for me.  I may just try the beta and see if I have better success with it.  I have been fighting with FF all morning and am ready to throw it out (except I like it).

John

Leopard19

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »
Thanks Leopard19

I read over the post you have at bugzilla and the answer you received.  The Reset fix did not work for me.  I may just try the beta and see if I have better success with it.  I have been fighting with FF all morning and am ready to throw it out (except I like it).

John
you're welcome. Sorry that didn't work for you. I think the first thing to do in that case is to create a new profile with Firefox. That takes 5 seconds. And if that doesn't work either, then remains the switch to FF 3 beta 2.
 Also, be careful if you decide to just reinstall Firefox not to reuse your old profile.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:24:39 PM by Leopard19 »

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »
Hi Leopard19

Guess what I did?  I fixed the problem with Firefox 3 Beta 2.  So far it is working as it should.  I will reserve my final exultation for a couple of days from now if it is still working.  It seems like a stable version and I'm sure they will have the final version soon anyway.  CFP - it was not your fault.

Thanks

John

Leopard19

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »
Hi Leopard19

Guess what I did?  I fixed the problem with Firefox 3 Beta 2.  So far it is working as it should.  I will reserve my final exultation for a couple of days from now if it is still working.  It seems like a stable version and I'm sure they will have the final version soon anyway.  CFP - it was not your fault.

Thanks

John

glad to hear that you could solve it that way! (:WIN)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek