Author Topic: Script to Backup CPF v2.4 firewall settings  (Read 196056 times)

Offline AnotherOne

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Script to Backup CPF v2.4 firewall settings
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
Sorry if this is just ignorance speaking, but could you not just use either a Restore Point or a registry backup (ERUNT perhaps?) to do this?  Or is there more than the registry being backed up here? 
What do you mean, my shoes are on the wrong feet???  These are the only feet I've got!

Offline Ed_P

• Comodo Member
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »
Possibly.  So long as loosing all other changes made to the Registry from the time of the System Restore or ERUNT backup to the present are insignificant.  New Favorites, new apps, changes to existing apps, etc.

The BAT/CMD approach deals only with the 255KB portion of the Registry used by COMODO for it's settings and restoring it doesn't impact anything other than COMODO.
Ed

Offline comode

• Comodo Member
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2007, 09:47:08 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked (10 pages  :P ), if I use this and then install v3 later on, will all the settings be imported, or will this not work with the newer version (like rules, ports etc.)

Also which script to use, on page 1 it has 1.5 is best, on previous page(pg.9) it has v2.4cmd?

thanks.

(Im using firewall v2.4.18.184 - app dbase v3.0)

Offline Ed_P

• Comodo Member
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
Also which script to use, on page 1 it has 1.5 is best, on previous page(pg.9) it has v2.4cmd?
The script on pg 9 is the 1.5 version with a couple of enhancements. I renamed it to match the version of Comodo that it was designed to work with.  I thought it would be less confusing with that name.    Whether it will work with the new version is unknown.  It may, but the new 3.0 version of Comodo is suppose to have a backup and restore function built in so the need for the script is removed.

hth
Ed

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
I don't think these scripts will work w/v3; the structure is too different, and the naming conventions as well.  At any rate, v3 does have built-in export features, and can utilize multiple profiles as well (such as for laptop users who use it at home, office, and on the road...

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline comode

• Comodo Member
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2007, 07:37:17 AM »
Oh, ok, thanks for that.

So have to put all those rules back in from scratch in v3!

But Im assuming if 2.4 is updated to v3, the settings/rules will be automatically transferred?

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »
Oh, ok, thanks for that.

So have to put all those rules back in from scratch in v3!

But Im assuming if 2.4 is updated to v3, the settings/rules will be automatically transferred?
Nope. But you can define your firewall ruleset and assign them to any app you want.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2007, 10:47:37 PM »
Nope, 2.4 won't update; you will have to download v3, uninstall v2, and install v3.  They are way too different in architecture for it to be an automatic transition.  However, v3 will help you to create all the new rules, in a way that 2.4 never could, so it shouldn't be as bad as you think.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline Louisaz

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2008, 08:45:53 PM »
 (:NRD)

I for one am not interested in writing a script to backup my CPF settings.  Let me suggest that two (2) buttons be added to the next generation of CPF to do just that. 

It would be good to permit the user to backup current settings...and restore saved settings simply and quickly.

I'm confident that Comodo will have this option shortly.  No?

Louis

Offline rip_pit

• rock'n'roll baby!
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
What your are speaking about is already available in v3. of comodo firewall.
This script is for v2.4/2.x users only.
Switch to v3. (which is great & easiest to use) if you need 2 buttons to backup/restore the settings, it has full support in v3.

Offline imagine

« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »
Well the script works fine but on reinstall of the firewall the reg file deactivated the firewall and the ONLY way it would work was to restore the registry backup and go through the whole training procedure again.

Not only that, the uninstall didn't work and the uninstall script had to be run first. :'(

Offline rip_pit

• rock'n'roll baby!
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2008, 11:18:27 AM »
Well the script works fine but on reinstall of the firewall the reg file deactivated the firewall and the ONLY way it would work was to restore the registry backup and go through the whole training procedure again.

Not only that, the uninstall didn't work and the uninstall script had to be run first. :'(

I had the same problem. Maybe you didn't uncheck the option "comodo protects his registry keys" before to backup/restore. look at the first post in this topic, it's written.

Offline imagine

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Actually I did but  as other funny things started happening  I did an online scan with Bitdefender and lo! A virus. First I have ever had that I know of.

Cleared out the virus and it worked this time. Too bad CAVS didn't pick up the virus. Roll on V3 :)

Offline Ed_P

• Comodo Member
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
Please note, the restore instructions for this backup are flawed.  The restore does not remove rules that have been added since the backup was made. 

To do a proper restore after shutting down Comodo 2.4 one must DELETE the existing Comodo Registry key before doing the restore.

To correct this oversite one needs to either change the top two lines in the backup .reg file from

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall]

to

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

-[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall]

or to manually delete the key using RegEdit before doing the restore.

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner.
Ed

Offline pnielsen

« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
This script appears to work well to back up my version 2.4.18.184 on Windows 2000.  (I say appears because I haven't tried to restore, but I have looked at the output with notepad, and it seems reasonable.) 

However, what I would really like is a script which would create an easily human readable listing of the rules, so that I could review what was setup, and be able to easily edit them to see which ones are really required for my VPN to work.  but so that I could recover my settings without having to record each.  I haven't seen such in the forums (but maybe I have overlooked it)  Does it already exist?

It would also be helpful if there was a standard format so that when people are posting rules they could post them in the standard format.

At present I can't even select and copy the Details of a rule as listed in the Details pane.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Paul

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek