Author Topic: On-Access Scanner causing a sharing violation  (Read 46281 times)

Offline i_kurnia

Re: On-Access Scanner causing a sharing violation
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 10:21:27 PM »
Hi....

I have the similiar problems too.

1. When i try to install some Application problem occure ("can not create file ......") but when I disabling On access Scanner installation sucsseded.
2. Sharing Violation error shown when using MS Visual Studio (Saving edited file)

Hope in the next release the problem can be resolved.

Regards,

Iwan

Offline Nanook1963

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »
I started having this problem when saving an Excel file (using Excel 2007) onto a Thumb Drive.  I was able to re-create the problem by saving it to my hard drive.  I tried saving as a .xlsx and a xls file with the same results.

This problem does not occur if working with Word 2007 files...so it is particular to Excel 2007.

The only thing I could get out of Microsoft's Knowledge Base was that there was a share violation.  I made sure that I shared the Thumb Drive and made it available to the rest of the network...but that did not make a difference.  Obviously, my hard drive is already available to the network and I still got the error message.

When I disable On-Access Scan in Comodo...the problem goes away.  That seems to be the temporary solution...but it is NOT ideal...a solution from Comodo would be preferred.

BTW, I'm using XP SP2.

Regards,

Nanook1963

Offline veedgo

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:27:11 PM »
Hello,
Yes, I am having the same problem and several other people in general seem to have this with their AV software.  I think it has something to do with how Excel saves and tracks itself.  I just found out that Excel actually puts everything in a temporary file and then exchanges that for the real thing when you save.  I always wondered why changes to Excel weren't spontaneous like they are for other Office programs.

What seems to be happening and the reason a previous poster's attempt to get .xls (and all the other flavors to work) to be excluded from the On-Access Scanner is because it isn't the .xls(*) file that is the problem.  I am suspecting that the share violation occurs with this temp file which has no extension when tries to save it.

It appears that it will take someone at CAV to specifically check into this and come up with a solution in a future release.  In the meantime, can anyone come up with a good workaround?  So far, I've been able to save the temp file adding the .xls extension, go and delete the original file and then rename my temp file to the name I had.

I have an XP SP2 Home box with Excel 2007 Professional.

Best Regards,
Veedgo

Offline b00gz

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 11:20:57 AM »
I have the same problems is their a fix for this?

Offline pcorning

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 05:26:11 PM »
I'm having the same problem described by others above.  WinXP Pro SP2, Excel 2007 and sharing violation error messages that disappear as soon as I exit CAV.

I can exclude Excel from CAV scans for a month or so.  Hate to sound ungrateful about a good product that's free to users, but the ongoing risk of an infected Excel file will force me to abandon CAV after that.

Thanks for looking into this.

Offline Nick_Nitro

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »
same problem here

Offline DreamWarrior

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
Same problem here.

BTW, thank you Comodo people for doing such great tools!  (R)

Offline timb_nz

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 11:00:33 PM »
I'm having a similar problem with Excel 97 on Windows XP SP2
It only started happening after upgrading to a newer version of Comodo Antivirus recently.

The file is deleted, but kept open in Excel, and you can't save the file.

Telling the virus scanner to not scan Excel files sounds fairly dangerous

Offline HTWB

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 04:32:07 PM »
Same problem.

Any solution in sight?

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 05:56:18 PM »
Same Here, Excel 2007 is using tempfiles with names like 8CE55000 and when you want to save them you get the sharing violation error.

But Temp workaround is best to make a "special" excel folder which you "exclude" from on access  scan. Create and save al the Excel files in this folder and move them later if needed.

Let's hope this get's fixed fast  :BNC
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:58:26 PM by rhgtyink »
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline barracudaX

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 08:23:28 AM »
Same problem here. Exactly the same as the threadstarter. Hope our voices never go unheard!

Offline asterizan

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 02:00:05 AM »
I have the same problem. Will be ever this problem be solved. Is almost 1 year from first post that announced this issue.

Offline gstewart

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »
I too have the same problem running excel 2007 under Xp sp2.

I do get the option to save the file under a name  that is generated for me. I then have to exit the original file and then save the new file to the old file name. Finally, I delete the temporary file that was  created. It works but is a pain.

I also suspect that this is a bug with Comodo
Graham

Offline UKCamaroSS

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved?

If not, has a technical support request been opened for the problem?

I too am having the same issue the original poster describes...

Cheers,

Offline Panoptes

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 09:19:22 PM »
It's now October 2008, and the sharing violation problem has just hit me, too.

I raised a support ticket, but was told that as this was a Beta product it was unsupported, and was referred to the forums and the knowledge base to find a possible solution.

I'm a great fan of Comodo and applaud their free release of such fine products. I hope that this small (but very annoying) problem can be solved.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek