Author Topic: Manual Steps to uninstall Comodo AntiVirus  (Read 181327 times)

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
Re: Manual Steps to uninstall Comodo AntiVirus
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2007, 12:14:37 PM »
I'm glad that worked for you, Bob.  I tried msizap at one point, but it didn't work for me.  So sad... ;)

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline rarrows

« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
Hey dudes:
I will not try to remove until the problem is solved.
But one thought that no one mentioned: Did you uncheck the box that allows comodo to protect its settings and registry settings? I would think that should be done first.

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »
Hey dudes:
I will not try to remove until the problem is solved.
But one thought that no one mentioned: Did you uncheck the box that allows comodo to protect its settings and registry settings? I would think that should be done first.

That's the Comodo Firewall; this is the Antivirus...
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline cgreen108

« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
I went through the add/ remove process to uninstall CAV. I could not find any of the files that is mentioned in the "manual removal" process, so I have removed everything out of my Win XP register, that was connected to CAV. All that is remaining on my computer is a folder named "cavbases" (this folder is in the comodo antivirus folder). I have tried to delete the folder and or the *.cdb files and windows will not allow me to do it. I also booted into safe mode and tried it there and again windows would not allow me to do it. My guess is that a something is still loading, when I boot up, that is using these files. Does anyone know how to get rid of this folder.
Thanks

Offline N.T.T.W.

• Comodo's Hero
  • A minute of your time can help many.
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2007, 07:12:43 AM »
Post proelia praemia.
Die dulci fruere.

Offline cgreen108

« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »
Sorry anderow, but that was no help. I have managed to completely uninstall CAV and all that is left behind is this one folder. I have read the many posts on uninstalling CAV and I can't find any of the files or services that are talked about, on my computer. I can't find any running services or startup items for CAV by using "msconfig", "regedit", "Servwin" or any other method. I suspect that there is a DLL file or something that is using the "*.CDB" files, that are in the "Cavbases" folder. Nothing in the post that you referred me to applies (couldn't find any of it on my computer). I don't understand why I can't remove it (folder), when I am in 'Safe Mode".
Thanks

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2007, 11:21:48 AM »
cgreen108,

Yes, it would seem that something is running silently on your system... I have not had that problem with that folder (to my recollection).  There are softwares that will force an "unlock" on the file, thus allowing you to delete it.  In my experience, this can result in some instability upon occasion, so not my first option.

In your process of trying to uninstall CAVS, did you run the LSPFix that has been mentioned?  Might look at this post:  http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,792.msg5244.html#msg5244.  You'll be running it on the CAV email server entry, causing it to stop, and be removed.  That might be the problem.

If that doesn't do it (or didn't do it, if you've already used that little utility), you can either try an unlocker/stopper/stubborn deleter program on the file, or file a ticket with Support, to see what they can tell you.  http://support.comodo.com/

Hope this helps,

LM
Forum Policy

Offline cgreen108

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »
Thanks Little Mac!

Those two items scared me and I am not afraid of anything!!!

I am not having any problems with the way my PC works or any internet problems. I finally managed to boot into safe mode and take over the "ownership" of the folder. Once I had the required permissions set, I was able to delete the folder. It is gone and the next time I see a "BETA" program, for download, I will remember this exercise and run the other way.

Thanks to all.

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2007, 03:48:37 PM »
Thanks Little Mac!

Those two items scared me and I am not afraid of anything!!!

I am not having any problems with the way my PC works or any internet problems. I finally managed to boot into safe mode and take over the "ownership" of the folder. Once I had the required permissions set, I was able to delete the folder. It is gone and the next time I see a "BETA" program, for download, I will remember this exercise and run the other way.

Thanks to all.

Glad you got it taken care of; sorry it was such a difficult prospect.  Fears, ahh, now there's the rub...  We've got to acknowledge our fears b4 we can face them; you're moving in the right direction... ;)

Not all Beta programs are as problematic as some have experienced with CAVS.  Perhaps this is part of the problem; people have become complacent or do not understand the importance of that word, Beta.  Take for instance Windows Defender - I used it for several years, as Beta releases, since it was still GIANT. Very stable, no problems, no issues.  Someone having done that, probably wouldn't think anything of downloading a Beta onto their system, for daily use; then when problems hit, they're completely taken by surprise.

Your decision to avoid Beta releases in the future is very wise of you; we must be aware of our risk tolerance for computer problems, and take that into our own hands.

However, keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming release (not yet scheduled) of the FINAL version of CAVS 2.x.  It should be a winner!

LM
Forum Policy

kishork

« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2007, 01:36:12 AM »
Hi All,
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused due to failure in un-installation of CAV Beta 1.1.
We have made a tool for complete un-installation tool for cav beat 1.1. Pls get more details at

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6152.msg45350.html#msg45350

regards
Kishor

Offline tubelight

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2007, 02:46:49 PM »
For me the above mentioned un-installation tool was a no go.  I had been following this thread and my system was at a point where I could not install CAV Beta 1.1 again.

I have solved my problem though   :BNC

Here's what I did to stop those annoying installation popups:

Enable Windows Installer Logging

Windows Installer can use logging to help assist in troubleshooting issues with installing software packages. You can enable verbose logging with this setting. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

Create a new string value called "Logging" and set it to a combination of the letters below to enable the logging options. A value of "voicewarmup" will enable all the logging options.
Letter    Option
v      Verbose output
o      Out-of-disk-space messages
i       Status messages
c      Initial UI parameters
e      All error messages
w     Non-fatal warnings
a      Start up of actions
r      Action-specific records
m     Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
u      User requests
p      Terminal properties
+      Append to existing file
!       Flush each line to the log

The next time Windows Installer is used a log will be created.

Note: Windows Installer will store the logs in the TEMP directory. The filename is random, but begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension.

The log file tells you the product no and the offending KEY.

In my case Product No: {6617B209-C45E-4ED7-86A6-5055D17BFBEE}
and the offending KEY was: HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\902B7166E54C7DE4686A05551DB7BFEE\SourceList

I cleaned all references to these from my registry and the problem seems to be fixed  (:NRD)

flicker...flicker

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »
Congrats, tubelight  (:CLP)

I guess that's a better route than the 10-pound sledgehammer I used... ;D

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4755.0.html

LM
Forum Policy

Offline Gadfly

« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
I think I've tried EVERY suggestion in this thread and still am unable to re-install CAVS2.

The 'add/remove" does not indicate CAVS and I've removed references from the registry and followed the other suggestions - right up to the latest one above (although there is no key in the log created).

I'm running XP SP2 Pro.

Is there any chance of the technical people at Comodo giving a list of the keys/files/etc that Comodo install searches for in order to determine if a copy of CAVS is already installed on the machine.   Surely removing those items would cause the install program to run.

I really would like to get CAVS running again!!

Thank you for any help I get before all my hair is gone!

Gad

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »
Gadfly,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this; believe me, I know the pain of that!

Please follow the link in my post just above yours.  It details how I finally removed CAVS 1.1.  In the first post of that thread, I also provide two links to other places where I've posted details of my "journey" thru uninstallation land and all the things I tried.

Hopefully there will be something there to help you out.  And believe me, I tried a lot of stuff....

LM
Forum Policy

Offline Gadfly

« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2007, 10:36:45 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion LM but now I have a 1.1 that cannot be activated - or run - and also have that dreadful Launchpad again which needed to be removed by force last time.

I've reached terminal point with CAVS - both in time spent and frustration level.  I'll try removing 1.1 but if successful I will not install 2.X. l'll check now and again in this forum to see if Comodo have finally produced an AV packet that can be removed easily and without having to get an IT degree.

I'll continue to use other Comodo products but at this point I hope I don't have to remove any of them.

Gad

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek