COMODO System Utilities 2013

Is System Utilities suitable for novice or just advanced users?

As I’m a novice user, always cautious about the registry, I’ve so far never used Comodo or any manufacturers’ Cleaning programs, due to being very concerned that a fatal mistake removal could delete one or more valid registry entries and corrupt or stop a computer from working.

Having read further up on these types of programs, I’ve read some very good reviews about them going beyond what Programs and Features (formerly Add/Remove Programs) does in removing the remaining scattered traces of deleted programs so the computer can run optimally.

Where it says “Duplicates” are removed, are the duplicates that get deleted located in just the Registry or anywhere?

If I have an identically named file, but different, one each in Word and Excel, would one get removed or would they both be retained?

Like other Comodo products, this sounds an excellent piece of software.

My personal experience has not been very good with this product. I do have an older machine and maybe that’s the problem. I had countless problems with it saving my personal settings, so I didn’t trust it for cleaning my registry. If it couldn’t keep its own settings, I was afraid to rely on it to properly clean my computer. Also, on a lesser note, I really dislike the interface. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’m now using Glary Utilities without a single glitch (free version):

http://www.glarysoft.com/downloads/

While I commend Comodo for its innovative products, of which I so far have just IceDragon, I’m exercising caution with Cleaning Essentials, due to what you’ve said and some site saying that a user once found that it didn’t remove all malware. The user rating may be for an older version, so it may have improved since, probably has, but equally, I understand where you’re coming from. I’ve had my computer for 5 years.

Other programs I’ve come across recently are Revo Uninstaller – http://www.revouninstaller.com and Rogue Killer – Jeu Femmes de Science | LuanaGames listed on http://forum.precisesecurity.com/computer-security/stop-recommended-for-you-pop-up

I don’t know how they compare to Glary Utilities, but Glary sounds very good generally. My only concerns are that some other user said that Glary had been over-aggressive in one case (unsure which version) and put some safe files into the Recycle Bin. Luckily, Glary can easily restore them back to where they belong, and as I’m a novice, I might not always know which files in the Recycle Bin should be restored, and Glary includes the Ask.com toolbar.

As to the latter, I believe that Ask.com can be excluded from installation by users either installing the Standard version and unticking the Ask toolbar or opting for the Slim version, which I assume automatically excludes Ask. Hopefully Glary also automatically backs up the registry for optimum safe computer working.

Although I currently have AVG Security Search (but apparently only visible in Firefox, not IceDragon), due to having a 2 year subscription with AVG which ends later this year, as a general rule, while having read some negative reviews about AVG’s bar, I’ve read many more about other toolbars, so would prefer to avoid them at all costs as a general rule.

As you’ve had lots of positive success with the free version of Glary, it looks like I’d have equal success with it. I just want to be sure that, if any system files end up accidentally in the Bin upon Glary’s scans, I can recognize which need to be restored to their original locations so my computer continues to work correctly. Glary’s web site navigation is very fast. When I visited their site, it connected me instantly.

In contrast, I’ve noticed that IceDragon has increased from 18 to 30 seconds in its loading time. I’m presuming this is to do with me adding extra programs since I installed it last Monday. Not a major issue, but I just want to improve the speed of IceDragon and other products and programs, wherever possible and try to revert my browser to its original loading time.

I can’t comment on IceDragon except since it’s based on Mozilla Firefox, why not go to the source and just use Firefox? I’ve used Revo for years and really like it for its resident cleaning capabilities. I never use toolbars and always exclude their installation. Glary has a built-in backup if you care to use it. It can backup the registry and/or the file cleaning as well. I’ve only been using it for a few months since a little time before I installed Win7. On my WinXP machines, I still use the old Comodo System Cleaner, which I find superior to the new Comodo System Utilities. I never had any problems with the old version (and it cleans very well on WinXP).

Upon further checking, I see that Glary Utilities’ Slim download is exactly as I thought – no Toolbar.

While I enjoyed using Firefox, I am very happy with IceDragon. It uses less resources and is more secure.

How do Revo and Glary compare for reliability? They both sound very good from your description.

Does Revo have toolbars automatically included?, although the Glary ‘Slim’ download option would avoid a toolbar

Is Revo also suitable for Novice users, in case any files accidentally get deleted but can be easily recovered (like Glary in the Recycle Bin) and be restored to their original locations to keep my computer running properly?

As to Glary, their built-in backup sounds very useful. This is one of several plus points for this software.

While doing a Safe Mode scan in AVG yesterday, which was still running an hour later, so I closed it, for some reason, several files were locked so subsequently couldn’t be scanned. I don’t know if files are meant to be locked to protect users’ computers, but the problem with this is that malware could be within the locked files. I like AVG, but according to feedback on this forum, they display some false positives for links that are declared safe by Comodo. As my AVG subscription expires later this year, I’m contemplating Comodo Internet Security, but a bit cautious due to some negative reviews of the 2013 version, but there’s always individual installations like Comodo’s Firewall and Anti-Virus as an alternative option.

It’s good to see that you’ve also had success with Comodo System Cleaner. The difficulty in assessing how reliable or unreliable products are is that some reviews are from a few years ago so newer versions will no doubt be much more secure (where there were security issues) and some people give very negative reviews about Comodo and/or other software companies for what are genuinely reliable products. For instance, people have varied on the reliability between Comodo’s System Cleaner and their System Utilities. I use Windows Vista.

Don’t confuse the two different programs. Glary Utilities is for computer cleaning (maintenance), while Revo is a program uninstaller (with minor file cleaning capabilities). I don’t use the cleaning portion of Revo. I use the portable versions of both. I’ve been using Revo for years without a problem. It doesn’t have any backup except the normal Windows System Restore.

Revo is easily used by novice computer users. Glary has its own backup (other than the recycle Bin).

Comodo System Cleaner has been replaced with Comodo System Utilities and it no longer receives updates, so I wouldn’t recommend trying it. I wish they hadn’t changed directions and would have continued with the previous version. I would recommend Comodo Internet Security when your subscription to AVG runs out. By then, they should have the bugs worked out of v6.0 (which I believe they released way too soon). Further testing would have eliminated the various bugs being found now. I went back to v5.12 because v6.0 kills my Internet connection on Win7.

lol I see what you mean about the differences between Glary and Revo. Both sound very good.

System Restore is useful as it can clear bugs if they’ve surfaced more recently.

The Recycle Bin in Glary must be an older version. I didn’t note the web site but some site said that a person had done a scan and Glary was over-aggressive, putting some safe files into the Recycle Bin which could be easily restored.

Your tip to not install Comodo System Utilities as it no longer receives updates is very useful. Whenever I’ve installed programs, I’d never previously given it a second thought that programs which are no longer updated are best not used.

As for Comodo Internet Security, I’ll keep this in mind, as while I could install their Firewall and Anti Virus, a complete Suite would be even better, once the bugs are corrected. The Sandbox is one of the features that’s most caught my eye in isolating unwanted programs so they can’t damage users’ computers.

My AVG anti-virus expires in the summer, which is a good product overall that has blocked some junk to date, but it has displayed what appear to be some false positives for sites that Web Inspector regards as safe, and most seriously of all, AVG’s Safe Mode search skipped over several Locked files. I don’t know if files are meant to be locked, but if they are, if there’s any malware contained within them, it won’t be removed.

The only drawback I’ve found while browsing is that, as at present, my fastest DNS server is my own ISP, I can’t make use of Comodo’s DNS servers (the nearest are a few hundred miles away so would slow down my browsing speed), which would prevent me from accidentally visiting suspicious sites. The Web Inspector site and icon on the top right of IceDragon are both very useful, but the latter is precarious, as you have to visit the site, before, you can scan it, and the only alternative would be for me to search every potential web site I plan to visit before I visit it, which would be too time consumiing.

I bumped into one yesterday, malwaretips.com, which has come up as “Suspicious” in Web Inspector’s survey. I was on that site, not realizing until later, but my malware scan has come back all clear, so my computer might not be affected after all, but I’ll stay clear of the site.

Comodo System Cleaner is no longer supported (updated), Comodo System Utilities is the current supported utility available from Comodo.

Ah, now I see. One of your descriptions was slightly amibiguous so I initially misunderstood about the two products.

Reading further into Glary Utilities, it looks like how deep it cleans depends on how the user sets it. For instance, one user accidentally deleted all his recent Microsoft Windows Vista files, but it looks like they’re retrievable, and also two invaluable things are recommended when using Glary to protect the computer:

1. To create a System Restore
  2. To back-up the registry

Assuming any back-ups can be deleted, once the original registry is safe, that should be fine, unless you or Glary suggest otherwise.

Provided my Microsoft Office Suite files don’t get deleted or especially get deleted and can’t be restored, I’ll be very happy to use Glary. I’ll check the options very carefully and ensure everything is set to a Novice level mode so that anything safe, both registry and Office files do not get deleted accidentally.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try out Glary and possibly also Revo, taking one or both one step at a time so I ensure my computer still runs correctly.

I’ll also wait for an updated version of Comodo Internet Security after the bugs are ironed out, as this will come in handy for full general protection.

When you use Glary to clean files, you have the chance to look over the files its going to delete. You can uncheck any files you don’t want deleted. It gives you full control over what you want to keep and what you want removed. This is also the way the registry cleaner works as well. You can have it save a backup of your cleaning actions in case there is a problem. It has its own built-in restore function. You can also choose to let it make a Windows Restore point if you want.

I’m also waiting on the next release of CIS v6.0. I hope they get the Internet connection failure fixed. I used it for 3 months and then had to go back to v5.12!

I’ve since installed Glary Utilities.

As I’m new to using this, I’m stuck on how many registry entries to delete in the Registry scan. I’m assuming that, if I choose just some, that if I decided to delete more in due course, I could just do a new registry scan and the remaining untouched entries would still be there?

It’s just that there are quite a number of entries of leftover traces and I can’t find a function for it to back them up using Windows Restore, but you’ve said there is a built-in option. For now, to play safe, I’ll just delete entries that I know are safe to remove, as some are obviously safe to remove from their descriptions.

I can see why the “Tracks Eraser” section has “Options” within it, which save users accidentallly deleting vital files.

As to CIS, depending on how things prrogress with the bugs being fixed successfully for optimum security, I’ll either install Comodo’s firewall and anti-virus separately later this year, or, all going well, I’ll install CIS v6.0, which will have even greater protection. Aside the from the current bugs, it sounds an excellent product including the invaluable Sandbox to keep malware at bay.

This looks very promising :):

In the upper right corner, select Menu. from there you can visit the Restore Center and view the Settings.