Author Topic: Ccleaner vs Comodo System Cleaner  (Read 39674 times)

Offline aboulay

Re: Ccleaner vs Comodo System Cleaner
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
I posted this back on March 3, but it never got any replies.  Thought it still might be something worthwhile to investigate. Consider this scenario:
I am a new employee at Comodo, in charge of providing PC Desktop support.
Melih has a problem with his PC and asks me to come over to check it out. He's having a problem with the IE Browser.
I bring it to my work area, troubleshoot what's going on with it, type a few things...like 'Melih, what a jerk!' in the Google search bar field.
One of two things happens next.
a) If I run ccleaner, it clears it, everyone's happy.
b) Run CSC, and return it to Melih. He types in 'm' and sees....(we don't need to guess  :-X)

All kidding aside, I find the products developed by Comodo to be of the highest quality.
The only slight criticism I have is that when a new product is released, perhaps emphasize that it is in a 'beta' state. Then when the 'beta' is taken off, we know it's a product that has been tested for awhile and is ready for production use. These are products given to us at no cost, yet provide the necessary means to keep our on-line activity secure and our workstations healthy. For this I am extremely grateful!

I would like to notify the developers of the System Cleaner of a feature in the privacy cleaner process that does not do a complete job of deleting search criteria in Internet Explorer 7.
When IE7 is initially installed, there is a request to define the default search engine to be used.
I chose Google, so after the installation, it placed a Google search bar just across from the address bar.
When I run Privacy cleaner using the latest version of System Cleaner, it does not delete search words that were used in that field. 'Autocomplete' is supposed to delete the search keywords, but it does not. I used a competing product...sshhh (ccleaner)...and it was able to delete all search keywords.
Just thought I should make the developers aware of a potential privacy issue.

Offline jedisb

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »
I just gave CSC a try and have to say I'm impressed. I do have some suggestions/quibbles, etc.

One thing I noticed right off is that the disc cleaner does not provide any information about file sizes or total space that is being reclaimed by running it. It only reports a number of files, which is not very useful. I'm more concern about space and file size.

I also don't understand why IE temporary internet files are part of both disc cleaner and privacy cleaner, while the other browsers are only supported by the privacy cleaner.

And why does the privacy cleaner take so long to load?

I noticed that Safari was missing from its list of supported browsers. Not sure about Google Chrome as I don't have it installed. Was glad to see uTorrent on the list though!

CCleaner supports cleaning up after more applications such as Adobe Reader, MS Office, Java, Google Toolbar, Flash, Quicktime, etc.

I've also noticed that sometimes the privacy cleaner will not display after closing it and re-launching it. The process runs but there's no GUI. I can kill the process in task manager and try launching it again and that seems to fix it.

The help file could really use some TLC. Some statements just don't explain things very well and there are places where it uses poor English:

Selecting this option instructs the Windows to perfect the allocation of size of temporary files that are created ad-hoc, on execution of running applications.

It is not "the Windows" and I have no idea what this sentence is trying to tell me.

Also, I think the help system needs to be accessible from all application windows and not just from the main window. I was on the System Settings screen and had some questions about what certain options were. I went looking for Help but could not find it. I then realized I had seen it on the main window. It would be better if it was accessible from each window. Perhaps some pop-up tool-tip type explanations of what the options do would be helpful.

Overall it is a great program that just needs some tweaks to make it just right.

Offline garydonpowell

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
Would love to hear what people think Ccleaner vs Comodo System Cleaner please.

Which one and why? (do feel free to be totally frank pls about either products). (of course lets compare the latest versions of both products)

thanks
Yes, Hi, and I am having one problem with the Comodo Cleaner.  Sometimes when I use it and restart, my machine goes into system shutdown protection mode and I have to clean up and restart in safe mode.  Any suggestions?
Melih

Offline Thunderbear

• Comodo's Hero
  • A little sense of humour makes everything easier.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 06:10:50 PM »
And maybe a little check so we can remove Hotfixes Uninstallers also, which can occupy much space without any use over time? CCleaner has this good thing.

Minimalists, back me up  :)
Don't be afraid, I'm very nice sometimes. And also absent-minded.
CIS 11.0.0.6744, Win-7 swe hidden behind a NAT-router.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 06:46:57 AM »
And maybe a little check so we can remove Hotfixes Uninstallers also, which can occupy much space without any use over time? CCleaner has this good thing.

Minimalists, back me up  :)

So CSC doesn't remove the NTFS compressed hotfix uninstallers? If so, I'm the first one to agree with you!!!

I always remove them, and many many other Windows folders, manually.

:BNC

Offline MJ.nfl

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:14 AM »
I would like to see two things in CSC that CCleaner has.

1. Uninstall software button under clean-up or summary
2. Autorun manager - option to disable start-up apps, rather then just remove them

Offline Thunderbear

• Comodo's Hero
  • A little sense of humour makes everything easier.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
So CSC doesn't remove the NTFS compressed hotfix uninstallers? If so, I'm the first one to agree with you!!!

No, CSC don't do that (yet). But CSC removes other things of Hotfixes, I don't remember what (Downloaded something something) co's I've clean that out, that CCleaner don't .

BTW: Thanks for back me up  ;D

EDIT:
Now I know what CSC removes what CCleaner don't with Hotfixes: ..\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\blablabla.something
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:33:52 PM by Thunderbear »
Don't be afraid, I'm very nice sometimes. And also absent-minded.
CIS 11.0.0.6744, Win-7 swe hidden behind a NAT-router.

Offline RejZoR

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
CCleaner is the only registry cleaner that actually doesn't destroy systemm for a change. All others crippled it somehow. Sure it doesn't clean as much as others but also doesn't clean too much.
Thats why i'm using only CCleaner on all computers.

Offline aditya_dmj

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:22 AM »
With due regards to hard work done by CSC team, I would say it need more intelligence.

like after scanning it reported error in uninstall location as : install source ,of course these installations were made from CDROM hence location is empty.

I safely Ignored them as it might or might not break the logic of uninstall/repair link.

similarly If you have .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 installed It shows error in shared DLLs which are to be ignored if you don't want to break .NET2.0 .

Regarding the large Nos of error reported in COM and ActiveX Its very difficult to believe just because of non existing keys as some well known program like Nero makes numerous entries( many empty).

last but least on first scanning It reported some 1200 + errors

I think CCleaner is better in a sense it does not report that much errors.

Regards

Adi

Offline metalforlife

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
No competition, CSC is a clear winner. When it comes to tweaking / optimizing applications, it's all about delivering. CC doesn't. The difference CC makes with all the registry entries it removes is almost negligible. Sure, it might be safe, but you could rather live with those entries it removes, than use it. That is the main factor when it comes to registry cleaning.

Try installing a few security softwares and then perform a crude uninstall, or mess your registry deliberately to the point where your errors start creeping up on your PC, and it starts reading invalid entries as legitimate and assumes non-existent code as true. Now run CCleaner and see if the "cleaning" it does improves your PC at least even to the slightest point. Now run a much more thorough cleaner such as RegVac and see how it manages to drag you out to at least a manageable state.

Two of the most important factors to consider in "registry cleaning" comparisons are "the depth of the cleaning" and "the ability to pick out errors". If a registry cleaner removes valid entries, it doesn't mean that it is worser, it just means that it is buggy or poorly written. Although there should be a fine balance between "not screwing up your PC" and "actually making a difference".

If you leave the registry cleaner aside, the vast range of modules in CSC themselves make it much much superior to CC.

CC shouldn't be the scale by which you measure CSC.

Offline JoWa

• Humanist
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I believe in doubt.
    • Evolutionary history of life
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 06:27:42 AM »
The latest CCleaner (2.19.889) has a new feature: It can delete system restore files.

I would like to have that feature in CSC. CCleaner needs DCOM Server Process Launcher. Can it be done without that service?

Thanks. :)
Ubuntu 20.10 | Firefox 84β | HTTPS Only Mode | Privacy Badger
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »
The latest CCleaner (2.19.889) has a new feature: It can delete system restore files.

I would like to have that feature in CSC. CCleaner needs DCOM Server Process Launcher. Can it be done without that service?

Thanks. :)

CCleaner needs that service to find the system restore points? Maybe that's why I didn't see the option in CCleaner... or because I have disabled system restore. ??? Anyway, +1 for putting it in CSC.

Offline JoWa

• Humanist
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I believe in doubt.
    • Evolutionary history of life
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 05:42:06 AM »
CCleaner needs that service to find the system restore points? Maybe that's why I didn't see the option in CCleaner... or because I have disabled system restore. ??? Anyway, +1 for putting it in CSC.
Yes, it was empty until I started the service. If you don't have any restore points, how could you see them. 88)
Ubuntu 20.10 | Firefox 84β | HTTPS Only Mode | Privacy Badger
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 05:47:33 AM »
Yes, it was empty until I started the service. If you don't have any restore points, how could you see them. 88)

OK. Well I guess I can never see any restore points if I don't have them, but if I enable (though I won't :D) DCOM I will at least see the new option in CCleaner. :)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek