Author Topic: Unable To Get CSE To Operate Properly [Resolved]  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Seeker1

Unable To Get CSE To Operate Properly [Resolved]
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit, with Windows Mail

I have sent an email from Client A to Client A and received the email with attachment notification of smime.p7m, which I am aware of signifies an encrypted email. When I click on the attachment I receive notification that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations Control Panel. When I go to the set associations control panel there is no listing for smime.p7m?

Should the decryption setting be to Automatically decrypt incoming emails? (I believe that Windows Mail supports  decryption and therefore this option should not be checked?) If Windows Mail supports decryption, shouldn't encrypted email be automatically decrypted?

Please advise what the settings should be for CSE to function. Your assistance to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:41:40 PM by eXPerience »

Offline bulkaeu

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Unable To Get CSE To Operate Properly
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:46:12 AM »
Hi, Seeker1

I have sent an email from Client A to Client A and received the email with attachment notification of smime.p7m, which I am aware of signifies an encrypted email. When I click on the attachment I receive notification that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations Control Panel. When I go to the set associations control panel there is no listing for smime.p7m?

Yes, smime.p7m is attachment for either encrypted e-mail or for signed e-mail with non-opaque signature.
And if mail client supports signed or encrypted e-mails - then you shouldn't see any attachments in such e-mails.

Should the decryption setting be to Automatically decrypt incoming emails? (I believe that Windows Mail supports  decryption and therefore this option should not be checked?) If Windows Mail supports decryption, shouldn't encrypted email be automatically decrypted?

Please advise what the settings should be for CSE to function.

Windows Mail supports decryption, but you can try to set decryption on for Comodo SecureEmail as well.
All settings that SecureEmail sets by default are recommended for the common user. :)

Your assistance to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Try to turn decryption on in Comodo SecureEmail (CSE) and forward this e-mail to yourself (Just solution to try to read this broken e-mail).

Also, please write version of CSE installed on your PC. Do you have the same problem with any encrypted by CSE e-mail? Have you tried to receive such e-mail with any other mail client? Can you attach such e-mail to this topic please? It would help a lot in resolving this issue. (Windows Mail can store e-mail in "eml" format)

Regards,
Eugene

Offline Seeker1

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:48:46 PM »
CSE  version 1.1.0.6 32 bit for Windows Mail
Already tried  setting for Automatically decrypt incoming email (as you suggested), to no avail.
I have not received any other encrypted CSE email from any other client.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:52:53 PM by Seeker1 »

Offline bulkaeu

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:34:07 AM »
Hi, Seeker1

Comodo SecureEmail team analyzed your e-mail and found problems with AVG Antivirus problem installed on your PC that incorrectly added text:

"No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1674 - Release Date: 9/16/2008 8:15 AM"

and ... corrupted e-mail :(

I've attached fixed e-mail with removed AVG's changes to mail structure - so you can check if it is correct
I can't check because it is encrypted - and ONLY You as Private Key holder can read it :)

Regards, Eugene

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Seeker1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »
Hi, Seeker1

Comodo SecureEmail team analyzed your e-mail and found problems with AVG Antivirus problem installed on your PC that incorrectly added text:

"No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1674 - Release Date: 9/16/2008 8:15 AM"

and ... corrupted e-mail :(

I've attached fixed e-mail with removed AVG's changes to mail structure - so you can check if it is correct
I can't check because it is encrypted - and ONLY You as Private Key holder can read it :)

Regards, Eugene
I have checked the email attachment that you sent and it is now corrected. The question now becomes a) Is CSE incompatible with AVG antivirus or b) Are you suggesting that I need to uninstall AVG antivirus and then reinstall it so that emails are no longer corrupted?

Thanks!

3xist

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »
Sorry to "burst" in, but... I been doing research & reading around, AVG does have bugs to fix in there modules.

I would suggest replacing AVG with Avast! Home Edition or Avira AntiVir Personal.

Go with Avast! for the Email Scanner & Feature Set... & Go with Avira for the detections. :)

Josh

Offline Seeker1

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »
Sorry to "burst" in, but... I been doing research & reading around, AVG does have bugs to fix in there modules.

I would suggest replacing AVG with Avast! Home Edition or Avira AntiVir Personal.

Go with Avast! for the Email Scanner & Feature Set... & Go with Avira for the detections. :)

Josh
Thank you! I have removed and then reinstalled AVG and still find that the same problem exist.  In your opinion, which of the two products that you recommend would be the optimal choice?
Thanks!

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
Avira for the win  ;D

Xan

Offline Seeker1

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »
I am somewhat reluctant to utilize an antivirus without an email scanner? so I have downloaded an installed Avast Home Edition, at least for now? I then tried to send an encrypted email from Client A to Client A. It was successful without the error message that accompanied the test email when AVG was the antivirus installed.  (:CLP)
So with CSE--- NO AVG!  (:SAD)

Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions!

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
I never understood the need for an e-mail scanner, if the virus opens it will be caught by avira  :).

Well, I'll lock this thread, if you need it reopened please pm me or an active moderator with the link to this topic

Regards  :Beer

Xan

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek