cce.exe - Application Error

System: W7 Home Premium 64 bit, Norton Internet Security
User: Activity is low-risk; skill level is avg., at best!
Posting Experience: Almost None
Context: Internet Explorer introduced rvzr- akamaihd virus while Norton doesn’t deal with less-than-lethal viruses, it seems. Used Junk Removal Tool (JRT) to destroy virus; JRT left a record of its work on desktop, which, when printed out, is a little over 2 printed pages of items dealt with, a bit more than half just empty folders. Norton then also red-flagged system, did full scan, resulting in 160 Mb of downloads including brand-new-to-the-system IE 11 and untold other items; system different than before but quite usable.
Problem: Want to determine if computer is still infected, using strategy outlined in article on the techsupportalert.com site, first step of which uses Kaspersky TDSSKiller to check rootkits: worked fine, none found. Second and subsequent steps all use CCE 64 bit which was downloaded just two days ago. Once the zip folder of CCE is open and file of CCE then opened, am not able to get CCE to respond.
What shows: cce.exe – Application Error “The application was unable to start correctly (0cx000007b). Click OK to close the application”. That’s the problem - can’t open CCE to do its work. Any ideas, anyone, on how to get CCE moving?
Thanks!

With the generous support from, and following the outline of, an article on techsupportalert.com, I scanned the system with the following three programs: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300, HitmanPro 3.7.8, and Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner. The removal/destruction of infections by these, and presumably mostly because of the first of these, the system was deemed to be clean. Then I resumed with the application of CCE - it opened with no problem! Draw your own conclusion.
Thanks for all the “views”, I hope this might be of help for someone in a similar situation.

For future reference, and to help others who may read this, if it was malware which was preventing CCE from opening correctly, it is likely that CCE could have been made to open and run properly by holding down the SHIFT key while it is opening. This will kill off all unnecessary processes, including the malicious ones, and likely allow CCE to successfully run its scan.