Author Topic: Please feel free to ask any questions to learn all about Computer Security.  (Read 224369 times)

Offline TheWilliam

Recently, I tried to download Microsoft Updates to my PC, and I received the following message, "error. Last updated : 05/27/2005 Print | Close 
Problem description
This error usually happens because we are unable to locate the correct proxy to access the internet or there is an invalid character in the proxy override settings.
Applicable operating systems and products
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Server 2003

Resolutions
1. A misconfigured Proxy/Firewall can cause this problem. Double-check the Proxy/Firewall settings. Add the following urls to the exception list within your Firewall/Proxy:
http://*.update.microsoft.com
https://*.update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com
For help configuring Proxy/Firewall refer to documentation or contact the manufacturer
"
Does anyone know how to configure Comodo Firewall to accept the downloads? I will await a reply.  :SMLRThanks.

Here you will have access to the world's best security experts to help you learn all about Computer security!

feel free to ask!

Melih

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
Hi William,

What version of CFP are you using, 3 or 2? We should move this to the appropriate product support board so it can get due attention. :P0l
Windows users do not disable UAC

Offline Junebug

I need 1 simple security system for my mom's computer. Anybody got suggestions.  Comodo firewall would have to many pop ups for her.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
I need 1 simple security system for my mom's computer. Anybody got suggestions.  Comodo firewall would have to many pop ups for her.

I think one program isn't enough (unless suites are counted ;)). On my parents computer, which I've kept simple and secure for them, I've installed CFP 2.4 and Avira Antivir. Also, if she uses the IE browser, maybe you could make her switch to Firefox or Opera.

LA

Offline Junebug

My mom loves google. Tomorrow I am going to download F-force suite. The 30 day trial is free.  I think I will buy the full version of superantispyware for her. She only looks at the news and does some research on the internet.

On my computer I have comodo firewall. It has a lot of pop ups, probably part of the learning process.  Mom would hate that.

Offline Junebug

Anybody have problems with computer after downloading sp3 of microsoft update?

After downloading the sp3 of microsoft had problems on my mother's computer. Got blank dos pop up for file cmd.exe.  Have got this on my computer too.  Thought my computer was acting up because I did a complete restore. 

On my mom's computer I removed the sp3 and add/remove program.  Then got message that add ons need to brouse with e.  Thus did a restore.  Get to browser page was running slow thus had to restore to a few days back.

Offline Kyle

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero

Probably you would be wanting a suite that doesn't need to rely on your mum too much, right?
If that's the case, I  would recommend trying   Eset Smart Security or Trend Micro internet security 2008.  They are both pretty user friendly once you set it up.. Try before you buy!
Windows 7 x64
AMD FX 8120, 8gb ram, ATI 6870 1gb

Offline Junebug

I was removing securty systems that were on this computer which were etrust, norton, and f-secure by instructions given by f-secure. Was told to make a backup before deleating files. I don't know how to make a backup of the register files.

Does anyone know how to make a backup of the register? Please send instructions.

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
Does anyone know how to make a backup of the register? Please send instructions.

You'd better set up a system restore point which includes the registry.

Anyway to backup the registry only you could go to "start > run...", enter "regedit", select "file > export", check "all" under "export range", enter a filename and click on "save".

http://service.mcafee.com/faq/images/en_regedit2v2.jpg
Windows users do not disable UAC

Offline Junebug

Probably you would be wanting a suite that doesn't need to rely on your mum too much, right?
If that's the case, I  would recommend trying   Eset Smart Security or Trend Micro internet security 2008.  They are both pretty user friendly once you set it up.. Try before you buy!

Thanks. I will try Eset Smart Security. For read that Trend Micro was hacked into. Can't find it anymore. Just rememeber that it said passwords were stolen causing devertion to other pages.

Offline Junebug

You'd better set up a system restore point which includes the registry.

Anyway to backup the registry only you could go to "start > run...", enter "regedit", select "file > export", check "all" under "export range", enter a filename and click on "save".

http://service.mcafee.com/faq/images/en_regedit2v2.jpg

Mom was getting impatient with me. Thus just removed the security folders in the register. Everything is working fine.

I shall do what was suggested on my computer. For I have cmd.exe file popping up ,which I want to remove.

Offline Junebug

How hazardous are adware cookies?

Offline dmorey

I am a newbie at this (at 50!).  just learned about Comodo and am wondering if it has a cache cleaner or not

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
I am a newbie at this (at 50!).  just learned about Comodo and am wondering if it has a cache cleaner or not

we are working on it..
should have out by end of September fingers crossed.

Melih

Offline SS26

• Comodo's Hero
Here you will have access to the world's best security experts to help you learn all about Computer security!

feel free to ask!
A lot of time has passed, i wonder if security experts are still available to help us learn...
Anyway, i`ll try to ask. Can you please tell what software solutions to your opinion(s) are best (if any?) to provide following functionality on Linux OSs:
- application-based firewall, providing filtering of outbound traffic on host machine;
- protection from buffer overflows;
- applications control on host machine (HIPS or Mandatory Access Control [MAC] system ? [such as SELinux, AppArmor]).

your opinion is greatly appreciated, thank you

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek