Author Topic: Please feel free to ask any questions to learn all about Computer Security.  (Read 224198 times)

Toggie

nevermorestr

I'm a Firefox user myself with the Adblock Plus extension but I also use Proxomitron (it is free). It is a local proxy that pretty powerful at ad blocking (plus) with a lot of filters supplied with it, plus you can create your own filters if your computer savvy enough.

Just out of interest, why do you use Adblock and Proxomitron? Prox will do everything Adblock does and more...

soyabeaner

Probably because Prox is harder to use.

Offline Lavarat

• Comodo Member
I share my neighbors wi-fi connection with his permission and help pay the bill. No I am not doing it without him knowing. He deals with his Netgear router his settings and etc. I have not access to settings there and he leaves it unprotected without a password needed because we live in a secluded area. Now on the CPF logs I get medium and occasional high rated activity that I am having a hard time understanding.

I have deleted my wireless adapter several times about 9. Last prefix on just about all logged activity has changed from 192.168.0.1 to .2, .3, and up to 9 etc. the last number I am talking about. Most of my logged activity contains these numbers that were access denied

anyways I am just wondering how port scans, inbound outside IP addresses are not showing on my logs, only the 192.168.0.? series

thanks

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
If there are Internal IP addresses showing in the logs, it's because the traffic is coming from within that wireless network.  Does your neighbor have several computers, or other devices connected to his router as well?

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline richardjpare

(L) On my old computer I was running XP Pro, I purchased a new computer and want to run Comodo Firewall Pro. Trouble is I have Vista Ultimate and it will not let me install Comodo, even when I go to compatability, run as XP Pro. I am very disappointed with vista, a lot of my software will not run on vista. So is there a version of Comodo for Vista?

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
So is there a version of Comodo for Vista?
Not yet.  See this thread:  http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6927.msg50682.html#msg50682 - version 3 will have it.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline richardjpare

:THNK It seems Vista is making me Pay for new software versions, I can wait for the next version of Comodo Firewall, I guess this applys to the virus software from Comodo as well?

soyabeaner

Yes.  Same with CAVS.  Not Vista ready yet.  If you want to continue this topic, please post in this thread:  http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8320.0.html

Offline tkloth

I have a home LAN with 2 PC's.  The Comodo firewall is blocking communication between the two PC's.  If I turn off the firewall, the two PC's can see each other.  How do I set the firewall to allow communication with the other PC?

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
I have a home LAN with 2 PC's.  The Comodo firewall is blocking communication between the two PC's.  If I turn off the firewall, the two PC's can see each other.  How do I set the firewall to allow communication with the other PC?

You need to run the TRUSTED NETWORK wizard. This is found in SECURITY - TASKS - WIZARDS.

Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline Lavarat

• Comodo Member
Do you prefer that all questions about CPF be put into this thread?

Is there a tracer, backtrack add-on that is available? (R)

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Do you prefer that all questions about CPF be put into this thread?

Is there a tracer, backtrack add-on that is available?
Actually, Lavarat, this thread is more about general security-related questions, rather than specific questions/issues with the Comodo firewall.  Specific Help-related questions would be better posted in the "Help" board of the Firewall section of the forum.

No there is no tracer function, but it is on the WishList.

LM
Forum Policy

Offline Puniksem

• Smile, a least air is free!
    • PuniksemVille
Going back on what I suggested previously, Norton doesn't just block popup ads, yes browsers do perform that task especially with SP2 installed.

What I was originally suggesting referred to the blocking of gif and flash banners, and the like.
Which slow down page loads and consume user bandwidth bad if on a capped service.

Click here for the full adblock list supplied by Norton firewall

I believe the method used by Norton firewall is to re-write the browser page extracting all blocked content & blacklisted types, and displaying the revised page instead of the original. Judging by your recent user vote, many people want advert & banner blocking, which is not successfully achieved properly by windows or Firefox intergrated popup blockers.

To create one for CPF would be a major feature addition, and not just a simple popup blocker.
Put off today what you can do tomorrow!

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
You know, Puniksem, if you're using FF, you can control images and other content, to keep them from loading, if the standard popup doesn't do it for you.  Add NoScript, AdBlock (or AdBlock Plus)...  What banner?  What popup?  ;D

LM
Forum Policy

Toggie

Another way to control SOME DOM scripting, in firefox, is by adding some code into your user.js file:

Code: [Select]
/*----------------------
 *   Dom section
 *----------------------*/
user_pref("dom.allow_scripts_to_close_windows", false);
user_pref("dom.disable_image_src_set", false);
user_pref("dom.disable_open_click_delay", 1000);
user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_flip", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_move_resize", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.close", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.directories", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.location", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.personalbar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.status", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.titlebar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar", true);
user_pref("dom.disable_window_status_change", true);
user_pref("dom.event.contextmenu.enabled", false);
user_pref("dom.popup_maximum", 3);

Little Mac
Add NoScript, AdBlock (or AdBlock Plus)...  What banner?  What popup?  Grin

I really must spend some time comparing these two with Proxomitron. I guess to get the full effect, I'd probably need to add greasemonkey as well.

Here is my Google as seen through Proxo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek