Author Topic: Is Goggle.com really dangerous??  (Read 20777 times)

Offline schwanxe

Is Goggle.com really dangerous??
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:36:06 PM »
Anyone know, I have heard horror stories of endless pop ups and active x programs running if you misspell Google and accidently go to Goggle.com that will basically destroy the computer.

Is this true?  Has anyone tried it??  If not, I don't suggest you do.

If you go to You Tube and search for Goggle.com you can find a video of what supposedly happens.
So that's the plan? You think your techie schoolboy friend can hack into my mainframe?- Jack Stanfield

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
Re: Is Goggle.com really dangerous??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 08:08:55 PM »
goggle.com=BAD.

They are somehow managing to continually cybersquat on an blatant misspelling of "google.com". The site advertises dubious antispyware will attempt several trojan downloads.

Easiest way out is to add "www .goggle.com ......... 127.0.0.1" to your \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. file, becuase windows will attempt a local name resolution before anything else, and this entry will direct a request for goggle.com to a local loopback address.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :-)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:07:42 PM by Soya Lv. 3 »
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 09:22:52 PM »
It is extremely dangerous, and will crash a computer, etc easily.  Here is the video on youtube, by McAfee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atmWmWCwlw

Mike
Volunteer Moderator: Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Comodo.  Please read and abide by the forum policy!

Offline aweir14150

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 01:29:07 AM »
I didn't notice any problems other than a pop-up that was blocked.

But I am running Kaspersky Internet Security with Comodo (Comodo didn't block anything) All that happened was that explorer.exe tried to inject itself into iexplorer.exe. Maybe my machine isn't vulnerable?

Offline SteveC

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
goggle is already blocked in the restricted sites list "IE-Spyads" and hosts file "MVPS".  ;)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek