Author Topic: How To Stay Safe While Online  (Read 14979 times)

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
How To Stay Safe While Online
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:00:37 AM »
If you would like to know what you can do to stay safe while online then please read my article:
How to Stay Safe While Online

If anyone has any comments they can leave them either on that site or below. Either way I'll respond to any comments and consider your suggestions for future changes.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:20:56 AM by Chiron »

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: How To Stay Safe Online
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:06:06 AM »
Nice article Chiron :-TU

A couple of things of the top of my head, maybe more once I've had time to think :)

1. There are browsers other than Chromium, it's clones and Firefox  ;)
2. You might want to mention flash cookies and DOM storage and methods for blocking, something like BetterPrivacy Maybe mention etags.
3. An alternative to add-ons for a degree of browser anonymity are 'greasemonkey/scriptish' scripts, a lot of which will run in most of the major browsers. A good example is GoogleMonkeyR
4. A good adjunct to NoScript in firefox is RequestPolicy
5. A good alternative to Cookie Monster, with a few added features is Cookie Controller
6. Disconnect is also available for firefox.
7. Make mention of how to deal with making secure financial transactions online. (Possibly a little to large a subject)
8. Maybe some consideration of add-ons that assist with certificate validation, such as Certificate Patrol or Perspectives etc.
9. Don't forget about the command line options in Chromium and about:config in firefox. Opera?
10. Maybe include something about the use of routers and their place in the security chain.

Hope that's ok :)

“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:54:08 AM »
Looks nice on a quick view, one thing that I'm missing is a 'general password policy' that a user might adopt.

Like use a unique password for important sites like email etc.
and use a shared password for less important sites like e.g. you have to create an account here to send an ecard kind of stuff.

Making sure users don't use the same password between 'important' sites and 'less-important' sites can increase security and reduce damage on a hacked database from some web site. So in case the ecard server got hacked those people can't use that password to logon to your mailbox(es)/facebook etc.
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
4. A good adjunct to NoScript in firefox is RequestPolicy

I've used this extension after you've mentioned it previously in the forum, (a few months?) and it's a great extension.  :-TU

Offline Sandwater

• Comodo Loves me
Re: How To Stay Safe While Online
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:14 AM »
If you would like to know what you can do to stay safe while online then please read my article:
How to Stay Safe While Online

If anyone has any comments they can leave them either on that site or below. Either way I'll respond to any comments and consider your suggestions for future changes.

Thanks.

I did read your article and enjoyed it.
I use FF and already do many of those things  (I was so pleased with myself lol...as I'm no expert)

I have a question.   I do use NoScript and I gave your suggestion of of Request Policy a try.

While those two add on's seem similar they certainly have different results.

You seem to imply using both would be a good angle.   Can you give a few words as to why?

I didn't enjoy how links from my homepage gave me warnings each time from RP,  but maybe there is something to learn here.

I don't mind a bit of work being careful,  if I did mind that I certainly wouldn't have been able to stand NoScript all these years.  I do love the control over a site's behavior on my machine.

Thanks for your articles.  I will recommend them.

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
I did read your article and enjoyed it.
Thank you.

I have a question.   I do use NoScript and I gave your suggestion of of Request Policy a try.

While those two add on's seem similar they certainly have different results.

You seem to imply using both would be a good angle.   Can you give a few words as to why?
To the best of my knowledge NoScript blocks scripts from starting. Thus, this may prevent a script from sending you to another site.

However, Request Policy blocks your browser from communicating with sites that it is not already on, unless you whitelist them. That therefore prevents your browser from inadvertently transmitting your browsing habits without your knowledge.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Offline Twirlz

• Securitycroc - Computer Security Information
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
Good article, thank you :)

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
Good article, thank you :)
You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Offline tsc23

• Comodo's Hero
  • SpR Psychiatrist Institute of Psychiatry
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »
I'd like to know how you come up with these amazing articles - I have learnt so much!?
MY PROFILE PICTURE IS THE HUMAN CONNECTOME - IT'S A NETWORK MAP OF A HEALTHY BRAIN, THEREFORE, WE CAN SEE WHAT CHANGES OCCUR IN DISEASE E.G., SCHIZOPHRENIA & ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE. AND YES, SCHIZOPHRENIA IS A DISEASE!

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
I'd like to know how you come up with these amazing articles
Easy, just hang around in security forums long enough, compile many bookmarks of useful (and related) information, and eventually get tired of having to figure out which link was for which. At that point you just create an article with everything carefully organized and adjust it as time goes on using the comments others leave and even more useful information you come across by hanging around security forums. ;D

Offline danovr

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
Seems like a pretty nice article. Of course there are always things that could be added, but overall it's a great article. It would be impossible to include every little thing to keep people safe online.
[URL removed by Mod, considered advertising]

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »
If you have anything in particular you would like to see added please feel free to let me know so I can consider it. Most of the ideas in my articles come from others.

Offline nancylove

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
I am new here and it's my first post here.

I really enjoy it.

Thanks writer.

Offline randomguy

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »
Using a VPN is also a great way to stay safe online!

NoScript has been a blessing for me at times.

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
I see a VPN as more oriented towards privacy. That is why it's discussed here, in my article about How to Protect Your Online Privacy.

Also, NoScript is discussed in my article about How to Harden Your Browser Against Malware and Privacy Concerns.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek