Author Topic: How to slim down and tweak (kill) your Windows XP installation  (Read 216740 times)

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: How to slim down (kill) your Windows XP installation
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 12:48:46 PM »
Leo >:(  You didn't pay attention to that PM a while ago >:(  It's the official command line to uninstall BITS.

I did read the PM before I asked, but you didn't mention BITS. :-\

And hence, where an imaging program would've save y'all time 88)

Hm, so reinstalling an image won't require activation? Anyway, I'm really unhappy* off, why would M$ keep me from activating my XP Pro once more. I can't be the only one in the world who have reinstalled Windows with the same key ~20 times. Damn it. :(

BTW, the reason why I had to reinstall once more, was that I went completely mad yesterday on the DLL and EXE files. Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger, shooting DLLs and EXEs... I did that, carefully from the advice of Bold Fortune, but still Windows gave up and didn't boot anymore. >:( I don't blame the guide, but I really didn't delete anything that was obviously not recommended to delete. Only tons of DLLs and EXEs related to disabled services.

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »
I did read the PM before I asked, but you didn't mention BITS. :-\
The title of that PM was clear 88)

Hm, so reinstalling an image won't require activation?
It still would, but at least I'll save you from having to entering it in (and to prevent problems between chair and keyboard).

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 02:32:13 PM »
The title of that PM was clear 88)

A pity that I always forget to look on the titles. :-[

It still would, but at least I'll save you from having to entering it in (and to prevent problems between chair and keyboard).

Hm, but I remember when I used my recovery CDs to restore XP Home OEM. There were never any activation. Anyway, maybe we should have a new thread for activation/licensing issues.

!ot!

LA

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
I found out that disabling WMI service and deleting the folder "wbem" from system32 seems to work, saved me about 25 MB (don't remember exactly).

Current status:
Windows folder (complete): 374 MB
system32 folder (complete): 290 MB
system32 folder (files only): 246 MB

Come on now, kill your systems. ^_^

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 08:29:13 PM »
If I killed WMI, not only will my EventViewer log be unclean (that's a dirty word for you, LA), but I won't have a computer running to tweak any more of it.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 03:49:17 AM »
If I killed WMI, not only will my EventViewer log be unclean (that's a dirty word for you, LA), but I won't have a computer running to tweak any more of it.

You could benefit from making tweaks that generates errors in the Event Viewer. ;)

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
What kind of benefits? :THNK

Offline Matty_R

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • How long is a piece of string?
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
Hi folks,

Striping it down bit by bit,as you said LA sp3 has put a lot of stuff back on  :(  so what i`ve been doing,and i hope someone can confirm i`m doing the right thing is checking the sp3 folder for things first,if they are there delete them then move on to the system32 folder.
Couple of times i`ve had the message folder is in use cannot delete,not sure why,couple of things i`m not to sure about deleting so i may be after some advise.

Be back soon  ;D

Matty
A couple of computers :P

WaterWall

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »
I'll be a bad now. Sorry  :D Just download XP SP3 RTM from torrent site. Strip it with nLite. Enter your legit XP serial and your done. Simple.  :)

soyabeaner

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »
Why download it from a torrent?  Something that has the potential to affect your OS should downloaded from M$.

Matty, that's the wrong (old) way of deleting SP3 components.  You have to use nLite to ensure a thorough cleaning to begin with.  Manual removal, no matter how much of an expert you are, cannot compare.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »
What kind of benefits? :THNK

Less services running => less resources being used...?

Striping it down bit by bit,as you said LA sp3 has put a lot of stuff back on  :(  so what i`ve been doing,and i hope someone can confirm i`m doing the right thing is checking the sp3 folder for things first,if they are there delete them then move on to the system32 folder.
Couple of times i`ve had the message folder is in use cannot delete,not sure why,couple of things i`m not to sure about deleting so i may be after some advise.

That's SP3 in a nutshell, it does put junk on the Windows shell...

But I know nothing about an SP3 folder, where did you find it? What's in the folder?

Some things that "are in use" by Windows are difficult to track. If you can't terminate any process that seems to use the file, it may work to delete in in safe mode. E.g. I had to go into safe mode to delete the wbem folder in system32. Of course you are aware of the risks of deleting stuff that Windows won't let you delete in normal mode. ;D

BTW, I guess there are many things you can't delete unless you have disabled SFC. If SFC is disabled you can delete almost anything. I have SFC disabled. Don't need Windows protection, Defense+ is enough for me. :-TU

Matty, that's the wrong (old) way of deleting SP3 components.  You have to use nLite to ensure a thorough cleaning to begin with.  Manual removal, no matter how much of an expert you are, cannot compare.

I completely agree on this, although Bold Fortune thinks manual removal is the only way to go - he would never use nLite...

LA
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:28:39 PM by LeoniAquila »

soyabeaner

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2008, 01:31:06 PM »
I completely agree on this, although Bold Fortune thinks manual removal is the only way to go - he would never use nLite...

Then his insane file-killing methods are only at that level after all :-*

Offline Matty_R

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • How long is a piece of string?
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »
I suppose i could of just integrated sp3 into my first nlite cd,but seeing as this is really my first go at making windows a little more compact i`m gonna take it step by step.
Sorry LA i think i`m getting muddled up,i meant the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles which has an i386 file in it.
I`ve got 1 folder titled Software Distribution which is >600mb what is the score with that,it seems to have a lot of duplicate entries in it.
I sure am learning a lot about the windows shell and what`s needed and what`s not.I know i`m a complete learner with regards this so all advise is grateful  :-TU

Matty

A couple of computers :P

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
I suppose i could of just integrated sp3 into my first nlite cd,but seeing as this is really my first go at making windows a little more compact i`m gonna take it step by step.
Sorry LA i think i`m getting muddled up,i meant the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles which has an i386 file in it.
I`ve got 1 folder titled Software Distribution which is >600mb what is the score with that,it seems to have a lot of duplicate entries in it.
I sure am learning a lot about the windows shell and what`s needed and what`s not.I know i`m a complete learner with regards this so all advise is grateful  :-TU

Matty

OK, C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles sounds like installation files for service pack(s) in case you wish to uninstall. And the folder Software Distribution is related to Microsoft Update. I don't remember what's in it, all I know is that if I had Windows Update functionality left - I would be able to use it without the Software Distribution folder!

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
Software Distribution can be deleted safely.  Legacy of M$ Updates.  The next time you run updates, it will be re-created (though with LA and my case where we totally remove auto updates, this might not apply 8)).

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek